substancev

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I have a page with html and very little javascripting. I want to load a short video in loop on the page. I can launch it from omxplayer and it plays smoothly.. but from the browser itself... i can't get a smooth playback. The browser is being used for a kiosk where it shows text loaded from a file and parsed through javascript.

When there is no information in the text file, I want it to show a video. I was hoping to load video.html and in this html to have the video load in full screen. I can get the video to load from command line... full screen with no hiccups.

There are 1220+ posts.. i can't skim throught them all.. so my apologies if this was answered already. Thanks!

gkreidl

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:02 am

substancev wrote:I have a page with html and very little javascripting. I want to load a short video in loop on the page. I can launch it from omxplayer and it plays smoothly.. but from the browser itself... i can't get a smooth playback. The browser is being used for a kiosk where it shows text loaded from a file and parsed through javascript.

When there is no information in the text file, I want it to show a video. I was hoping to load video.html and in this html to have the video load in full screen. I can get the video to load from command line... full screen with no hiccups.

There are 1220+ posts.. i can't skim throught them all.. so my apologies if this was answered already. Thanks!
omxplayerGUI Manual, chapter 9, shows how you can do this.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl

Version 1.7.9 is now available

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

I have just published version 1.7.9. It includes small changes to omxplayerGUI and a bug fix in a helper script.

The easiest way to upgrade is from kweb's menu page: Click the "Check for Program Update" button.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

substancev

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:11 pm

gkreidl wrote:
substancev wrote:I have a page with html and very little javascripting. I want to load a short video in loop on the page. I can launch it from omxplayer and it plays smoothly.. but from the browser itself... i can't get a smooth playback. The browser is being used for a kiosk where it shows text loaded from a file and parsed through javascript.

Ok.. I found it and i see how i can implement it.. the only problem I face is that I can't keep the changes I make in the settings page. When i set the settings to false... save and reload.. they go back to true. I even changed the settings in kwebhelper_settings.py and they still go back to True.

I'm running kweb in a while : loop. Not sure if thats what is causing this.

substancev

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:23 pm

substancev wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

Ok.. I found it and i see how i can implement it.. the only problem I face is that I can't keep the changes I make in the settings page. When i set the settings to false... save and reload.. they go back to true. I even changed the settings in kwebhelper_settings.py and they still go back to True.

I'm running kweb in a while : loop. Not sure if thats what is causing this.
seems like kweb looks for lxterminal, which I didn't have installed. Installing resolved it.

substancev

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 pm

well all is working beautifully except for one thing. So i have info.html running and its pulling info from a txt file. Once the text file is empty.. the website will auto load video with omxplayer... its amazing.. but now when text fills the file.. the website triggers to load another page.. back to info.html.... How do i stop the currently playing file and show the browser again? Video is running in full screen..

gkreidl

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 am

substancev wrote:well all is working beautifully except for one thing. So i have info.html running and its pulling info from a txt file. Once the text file is empty.. the website will auto load video with omxplayer... its amazing.. but now when text fills the file.. the website triggers to load another page.. back to info.html.... How do i stop the currently playing file and show the browser again? Video is running in full screen..
I suppose you are starting videos with Javascript (by setting the src of an iframe, for example). I'm not sure if you use the methods from chapter 9 c) (special playlists) or from chapter 9 d) (using the ytdl-server),
In both cases you can use a specially created playlist to stop any running video. There is an example in the manual.
If you are using the ytdl-server, you can also send a dbus stop command.

substancev

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:58 pm

gkreidl wrote:
substancev wrote:well all is working beautifully except for one thing. So i have info.html running and its pulling info from a txt file. Once the text file is empty.. the website will auto load video with omxplayer... its amazing.. but now when text fills the file.. the website triggers to load another page.. back to info.html.... How do i stop the currently playing file and show the browser again? Video is running in full screen..
I suppose you are starting videos with Javascript (by setting the src of an iframe, for example). I'm not sure if you use the methods from chapter 9 c) (special playlists) or from chapter 9 d) (using the ytdl-server),
In both cases you can use a specially created playlist to stop any running video. There is an example in the manual.
If you are using the ytdl-server, you can also send a dbus stop command.

My site runs on the local network from http://10.0.1.91/mysite

In said site, there are javascripts running to read a text file and puts information up that is in the file. Once the file is empty, the site redirects to a page stating there are no more events. But once the file gets populated again, I want to kill omxplayer.bin. However, file:///homepage.html?cmd=somecommand%20parameters won't launch. I thought I could use meta tags to refresh to a local site and execute the kill command.

substancev

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm trying to create a playlist that doesn't play anything but just contains

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,omxoptions=stop

to stop the current video.. thats not working for me...

substancev

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:00 pm

substancev wrote:I'm trying to create a playlist that doesn't play anything but just contains

#EXTM3U

Resolved using ytdl-server... RTFM worked here :)

gkreidl

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 pm

substancev wrote:I'm trying to create a playlist that doesn't play anything but just contains

#EXTM3U

it needs one more line with a dummy video (non-existent), e.g.

#EXTM3U
dummy.mp4

Protocol_Droid

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for making this, gkreidl. Is there a PPA or other such more official way to install and maintain this package?

gkreidl

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:52 am

Protocol_Droid wrote:Thanks for making this, gkreidl. Is there a PPA or other such more official way to install and maintain this package?
It is in a repository provided by kusti8, which was originally created to deliver his chromium-browser packages, which are now in the official Foundation repository, and his rpi-chromium extension, which doesn't work any more with latest chromium releases. He needed parts from the kweb suite for his extension and asked me to add it to the repository. It is still there, but I'm not sure, if he will continue it.

The "official" download source is on a server which I administer and on a project website, for which I'm responsible. You can always use the "check for upgrade" function from kweb's menu page to upgrade to the latest version. It is not done automatically, because I really hate it when programs automatically connect to a supplier without the user's knowledge and intent.

cjan

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm

does kweb suitable for stretch?

gkreidl

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:15 pm

cjan wrote:does kweb suitable for stretch?
Kweb, omxplayerGUI and the tools should work out of the box. I'm not sure about kweb3, as I don't know yet, if the Foundation will continue to support the extended (HW accelerated video, Javascript JIT compiler) webkit3 engine.
Kweb 1.8.0 should become a Stretch release.

michaeloc

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I have raspberry pi 3 that is running raspbian jessy. I would like to know if is possible to use kweb browser to show html <video>. I have an angular application that work like a player web (digital signage)? Is it possible use localStorage on Kweb?

gkreidl

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 am

michaeloc wrote:I have raspberry pi 3 that is running raspbian jessy. I would like to know if is possible to use kweb browser to show html <video>. I have an angular application that work like a player web (digital signage)? Is it possible use localStorage on Kweb?
kweb does not support HW acceleration for video, but kweb3 (based on the same engine as epiphany) does.
kweb can run web video in low resolution / area (360p, for example) using software decoding, but the processor load is rather high.
kweb3 can display up to 720p video.
For developers of digital signage (and similar) applications, there is something like "simulated web video", which uses omxplayerGUI running in the background to display web video of any resolution in any area of the screen. For details you should read the developer's chapter of the omxplayerGUI manual.

The “enable-html5-local-storage” property is enabled in both browser engines.

nlc

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Dear gkreidl, before I spend a lot of time with experiments, can you tell me if with kweb3 in kiosk mode on raspberry Pi 3, I can :
- Play a local video in full screen in background
- Have a transparent div with an input text on the first plan (and a send button)
- Have a javascript script which call a remote server at regular interval to know which video to play (json answer), and change the 'src' of the html5 video to switch the video if needed (I am sure it's yes for this question ^^)

Thank you very much
Regards
Cyril

gkreidl

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 am

nlc wrote:Dear gkreidl, before I spend a lot of time with experiments, can you tell me if with kweb3 in kiosk mode on raspberry Pi 3, I can :
- Play a local video in full screen in background
- Have a transparent div with an input text on the first plan (and a send button)
- Have a javascript script which call a remote server at regular interval to know which video to play (json answer), and change the 'src' of the html5 video to switch the video if needed (I am sure it's yes for this question ^^)

Thank you very much
Regards
Cyril
No browser on the RPi can display full screen video, even the browsers with HW accelerated video (kweb3, epiphany, chromium), at least not on a 1920x1080 screen (it might work if you reduce the screen size to 720p). For digital signage applications kweb(3) supports something I call "simulatd web video", which in fact uses omxplayer(GUI) and this will support any resolution.

Putting something on top of the HTML5 video area is simply a terrible design idea: It would require real time update with the frame rate of the video. That's putting a heavy load on any processor.

If you need something like you describe, you either have to create your own application or use a software like dividuum's info-beamer ( viewtopic.php?f=41&t=60791 ) .

nlc

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 pm

gkreidl wrote: No browser on the RPi can display full screen video, even the browsers with HW accelerated video (kweb3, epiphany, chromium), at least not on a 1920x1080 screen (it might work if you reduce the screen size to 720p). For digital signage applications kweb(3) supports something I call "simulatd web video", which in fact uses omxplayer(GUI) and this will support any resolution.
Yes I understood that
gkreidl wrote: Putting something on top of the HTML5 video area is simply a terrible design idea: It would require real time update with the frame rate of the video. That's putting a heavy load on any processor.
Okay, I tougth the transparency could be managed by the GPU too.
gkreidl wrote: If you need something like you describe, you either have to create your own application or use a software like dividuum's info-beamer ( viewtopic.php?f=41&t=60791 ) .
I "just" need an input text and send button surimposed with tranparency on the full screen video player, as kodi can do when displaying menu :

If it can't be possible to do this with a browser in kiosk mode, I will need to find another way, thank you for the link, I look for dividuum's info-beamer.
Or another solution, put the input text and send button on the bottom part of the screen, and omxplayerGUI (without buttons), on the top part of the screen. It can be doable if the bottom of the video and html part have same color, for beautiful integration.

MattMurf

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:54 am

I'm attempting to install on a Pi Zero W

I get the following error with the installer.

Error during install: 'Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]

I think the installer needs to be updated to pull libtiff5_4.0.3-12.3+deb8u4_armhf.deb [ deb8u3 updated to deb8u4]

Apologies if I'm missing something, it's been a few years since I did command line work.

gkreidl

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 am

MattMurf wrote:I'm attempting to install on a Pi Zero W

I get the following error with the installer.

Error during install: 'Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]

I think the installer needs to be updated to pull libtiff5_4.0.3-12.3+deb8u4_armhf.deb [ deb8u3 updated to deb8u4]

Apologies if I'm missing something, it's been a few years since I did command line work.
Run
sudo apt-get update
and then try again.

violgamba

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 am

Note: I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong place.
I've been trying to setup kweb for use as a noninteractive display with a fading slideshow.
Unfortunately, kweb (original) doesn't handle the slideshow JS and kweb3 handles it fine, but renders the display in an very low-quality mode.

KWEB3: I've tried the webpage in epiphany and get the same low-quality rendering as in kweb3. When running epiphany on my laptop I see the low quality mode when resizing the window, but it is quickly replaced with a high-quality rendering after sizing is done. I never see the high-quality version on Raspberry Pi.

KWEB: I've tried routing all JS errors on the page to a temporary div, but no errors show up, so I'm not sure how to debug the webpage in kweb.

I've attached links to photos of the display as rendered in kweb (original), and kweb3. I'd be super grateful for any help on this, as I'm out of ideas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz96n ... lY4YUNFVkE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz96n ... XFRVUdrY0k

gkreidl

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

violgamba wrote:Note: I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong place.
I've been trying to setup kweb for use as a noninteractive display with a fading slideshow.
Unfortunately, kweb (original) doesn't handle the slideshow JS and kweb3 handles it fine, but renders the display in an very low-quality mode.

KWEB3: I've tried the webpage in epiphany and get the same low-quality rendering as in kweb3. When running epiphany on my laptop I see the low quality mode when resizing the window, but it is quickly replaced with a high-quality rendering after sizing is done. I never see the high-quality version on Raspberry Pi.

KWEB: I've tried routing all JS errors on the page to a temporary div, but no errors show up, so I'm not sure how to debug the webpage in kweb.

I've attached links to photos of the display as rendered in kweb (original), and kweb3. I'd be super grateful for any help on this, as I'm out of ideas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz96n ... lY4YUNFVkE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz96n ... XFRVUdrY0k
I've go a test browser in Python somewhere, which uses the same engine as kweb but supports an inspector window. You can get it here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=162858&p=1059156&h ... g#p1059156

You cab also contact my via PM and you'll get my email address and can send me the collection of files (HTML, JS, css, images) for testing.

MattMurf

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks! That helped move me along. A few more days and I'll be almost competent.

Return to “Raspbian”