gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser)

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 am

Fyren wrote:I ran into a problem with CSS animations (which Asampaiz probably also found about a year ago here: viewtopic.php?p=914708#p914708). Basically, kweb will play animations but kweb3 and epiphany won't (and Chromium will). It was presumed to be a webkit bug.

In the slight chance it's helpful to other people: in both epiphany and kweb3, if you embed the same HTML page with an animation into an iframe, the animation will play. (i.e. if you load animation.html with kweb3, it fails to play, but if you open iframe.html that just sticks animation.html into an iframe, it works.)

I couldn't find any way kweb3 was initializing the webview that would matter versus what it's doing by itself for iframes, but maybe there is something I missed.
Thanks for the hint.
It's not a general webkit bug, but a bug in the many patches to the webkit3 engine for the special RPi version (HW acceleration, Javascript JIT compiler).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Fyren

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am

gkreidl wrote:Thanks for the hint.
It's not a general webkit bug, but a bug in the many patches to the webkit3 engine for the special RPi version (HW acceleration, Javascript JIT compiler).
Is there a bug report about this somewhere? Or do you know which patch/where in the code things are going wrong?

gkreidl

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

Fyren wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Thanks for the hint.
Is there a bug report about this somewhere? Or do you know which patch/where in the code things are going wrong?
Development / debugging has been stopped. Eben decided not to spend any more money on it (it was an external development team).
That's the reason why I'm still providing two versions of kweb:
kweb - slower, no HW and Javascript acceleration, but very stable
kweb3 - HW acceleration of video, Javascript JIT compiler, but buggy
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Version 1.7.8 is now available.
More details here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860&start=1175#p1131898

uomogamma

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 am

Hello,

I'm new to this software. I'm triyng to use it as a kiosk mode. I've read some parts of the manual but I cannot find an important info for me.

Is it possible to set it to reload a predefined internet page every n minutes?

Thank you so much

A.

gkreidl

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 pm

uomogamma wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this software. I'm triyng to use it as a kiosk mode. I've read some parts of the manual but I cannot find an important info for me.

Is it possible to set it to reload a predefined internet page every n minutes?

Thank you so much

A.
Not by itself, but there are a number of possible solutions:
1) Display a HTML file which shows the web content in an iframe. Set meta refresh inside your HTML file to reload the page every few minutes or embed a Javacript timre to load the iframe periodically.
2) You can run a script using xdotool to send a reload command at certain intervals.

PuppetHoundZ

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 am

Awesome work on Kweb as always. I use it a lot especially for the Chromium Extraction Plug-in you created.

I always come back now and then trying to find the best GPU RAM settings for my Raspberry Pi 2B. Currently I've got it set to 128mb at one point I had it set to 160mb but found there to be little to no difference in performance on web browser video playing.

What is your optimal setting that you find works in all purpose web browsing and video playing with Kweb OMX player help now and then?

I hear recently 80mb was a good choice or 64mb which is Raspbian Defualt stock setting. Please let me know. Lately my aim is desktop browsing and youtube video use. I don't really play games on it anymore as I find it more useful as a media player with raspbian pixel with chromium. I play Spotify with it now using chromium and Youtube and few other video sites.

gkreidl

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Awesome work on Kweb as always. I use it a lot especially for the Chromium Extraction Plug-in you created.

I always come back now and then trying to find the best GPU RAM settings for my Raspberry Pi 2B. Currently I've got it set to 128mb at one point I had it set to 160mb but found there to be little to no difference in performance on web browser video playing.

What is your optimal setting that you find works in all purpose web browsing and video playing with Kweb OMX player help now and then?

I hear recently 80mb was a good choice or 64mb which is Raspbian Defualt stock setting. Please let me know. Lately my aim is desktop browsing and youtube video use. I don't really play games on it anymore as I find it more useful as a media player with raspbian pixel with chromium. I play Spotify with it now using chromium and Youtube and few other video sites.
The recommendation has always been to set it to 128 MB for full HD video support. I use a bit more for two reasons: I do a lot of transcoding using the GPU and I sometimes run kodi (which requires at least 160 MB GPU memory, if you want to play full HD video).

PuppetHoundZ

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:19 am

gkreidl wrote: The recommendation has always been to set it to 128 MB for full HD video support. I use a bit more for two reasons: I do a lot of transcoding using the GPU and I sometimes run kodi (which requires at least 160 MB GPU memory, if you want to play full HD video).
Ok I had it on 160 but never ever used Kodi. But recently changed it to 128 and everything seems fine so I left it there since the February fresh install.

I can actually play 1080p on chromium smooth with 128mb. It stutters and loads now and then but then starts going smooth. 160mb seems to have exact same performance so I though it was a plecebo effect.

Lavsmaster

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am

Hello everybody.
I'm making a kiosk based on RP3, KWeb3.
Code to run the video from browser:

Code: Select all

<form accept-charset="utf-8" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="get" action="file:///homepage.html" name="omxwindow"> 
<input name="cmd" value="formdata omxplayer --win 190,255,1090,915 /home/pi/myprog/html/video/1.mp4" type="hidden">
<input value="Play" type="submit"><br>
</form>
Works good.
But when you press the button again, the second video is launched on top of the first (several videos are playing simultaneously) ...
How to fix it?
In the manual I read about the "stop" command, but I do not understand how to apply it correctly.
Before that, I used php to run the bash script, which first checks if omxplayer is enabled, and then ran a new video:

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0.0
if ! pidof omxplayer.bin; then omxplayer --win 190,255,1090,915  /home/pi/myprog/html/video/1.mp4 &  fi
Now to run this script I use the code:

<a href="file:///homepage.html?cmd=/home/pi/myprog/html/video_play1.sh">Play Videos</a>
But it does not work.
Help please .. can not run the bash scripts

gkreidl

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Lavsmaster wrote:Hello everybody.
I'm making a kiosk based on RP3, KWeb3.
Code to run the video from browser:

<form accept-charset="utf-8" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="get" action="file:///homepage.html" name="omxwindow"> 
<input name="cmd" value="formdata omxplayer --win 190,255,1090,915 /home/pi/myprog/html/video/1.mp4" type="hidden">
<input value="Play" type="submit"><br>
</form>
Works good.
But when you press the button again, the second video is launched on top of the first (several videos are playing simultaneously) ...
How to fix it?
In the manual I read about the "stop" command, but I do not understand how to apply it correctly.
Before that, I used php to run the bash script, which first checks if omxplayer is enabled, and then ran a new video:

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0.0
if ! pidof omxplayer.bin; then omxplayer --win 190,255,1090,915  /home/pi/myprog/html/video/1.mp4 &  fi
Now to run this script I use the code:

<a href="file:///homepage.html?cmd=/home/pi/myprog/html/video_play1.sh">Play Videos</a>
But it does not work.
Help please .. can not run the bash scripts
I don't know why your script doesn't run (check permissions), but there is a much simpler solution using omxplayerGUI.
1) Activate the "overlay" preset.
2) Ceate a m3u playlist file like this for each video:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,omxoptions=--win;190,255,1090,915;stop
/home/pi/myprog/html/video/1.mp4
The stop command at the end makes sure, that all other running videos are stopped, before the current video is started.
3) Your play button for the video is just a link to the m3u file, e.g:
<a href="file:///home/pi/myprog/html/pl1.m3u"><button>Play Video 1</button></a>

In the omxplayerGUI manual you will find a link to a package with example files.

Lavsmaster

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Thank you gkreidl , for sure your method is very simple.
The videos are launched perfectly. :D
And with Bash scripts is not good yet, all permissions on folders and script execution are included, but it does not work yet.

PuppetHoundZ

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm

gkreidl wrote: The recommendation has always been to set it to 128 MB for full HD video support. I use a bit more for two reasons: I do a lot of transcoding using the GPU and I sometimes run kodi (which requires at least 160 MB GPU memory, if you want to play full HD video).
I found that 80mb GPU Ram works really well overall for general use with kweb3 and chromium. DOM suggested this:
viewtopic.php?p=1135513#p1135513

Just sharing my find. So far it works really good with omxplayer GUI and chromium acceleration using a Pi2B. I don't use KODI which could be why it works really well.

Gadgetguy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 am

Modest? feature requests:

I have a few modest suggestions/feature requests for kweb you may or may not wish to consider.
I know you are tring to keep kweb, slim, sleek and therefore fast but I don't think they would slow kweb down or be too hard to implement( but then I know nothing of such things!) These feature aren't really important for me but they would save a few mouse clicks.
For me it would be nice if omxplayergui could be configured so there can only be one instance playing and so that it could always be on top(that makes it easier to drag the window across the screen).
For me it would be nice if kweb didn't automatically jump to the new window when a link is opened in a new window.
My eyes are weak and myopic and it would be nice if I could preset the zoom level a little bit higher than the current default.
Finally and this might be more difficult to implement but it would be nice to have an option in the right-click context menu giving one the option to open a video/audio link in omxplayergui, eg. the videos on the side panel in youtube

gkreidl

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

Gadgetguy wrote:...
My eyes are weak and myopic and it would be nice if I could preset the zoom level a little bit higher than the current default.
This is already possible, using the autoconfig page:
Open the :editor page, either from the menu page or by entering ":e" in the entry line.
In the Keyboard Command Editor (lower part of the page), select "autoconfig"
In the first line enter
?+++++
to go to 150%, or more or less '+' characters.
Click "Create KBD Command"

sudo_touch

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Günter,

Is CSS3/HTML5 well supported? I am trying some basic CSS3 things, as well as experimentals but these does not seem to work;
http://www.cssmatic.com/box-shadow
http://the-echoplex.net/flexyboxes/

I am fresly running kweb3 on raspian, RPI2 in Kiosk mode.

Any tips?

Regards,
Michael

gkreidl

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am

sudo_touch wrote:Hi Günter,

Is CSS3/HTML5 well supported? I am trying some basic CSS3 things, as well as experimentals but these does not seem to work;
http://www.cssmatic.com/box-shadow
http://the-echoplex.net/flexyboxes/

I am fresly running kweb3 on raspian, RPI2 in Kiosk mode.

Any tips?

Regards,
Michael
The examples do work for me, both in kweb and kweb3.
On the linked pages you have to enable Javascript to see it in action.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:57 am

As always I love the software suite you've created. It's hands down the best media player solution out there for Raspbian.
Therefore to help you make it better please add the following to default installations.

With OmxplayerGUI The Audio player settings need one additional File format support for audio.

.m4a (don't scorn me but that's the default file format for Apple Music purchases.)

I had to add .m4a to the list of default audio formats to play all my itunes music in the omxaudioplayer gui.

If that's not added the OMXplayerGUI will try to play the file as video as a single file at a time making it hard to playlist.

Finally as a word of praise again you kweb suite works great. I now use my Raspberry Pi 2B v1.1 with the offiical 7" touch screen encased in a SmartiPi Touch Case and your script integrated into Chromium. I find the bookmark script handy when video will not play easily at 480p. Kweb suite along with Official Foundations work on Raspbian Pixel make the Raspberry Pi 2B a legit laptop replacement with touch screen capabilities! I can fit all of the equipment in small netbook bag and travel with it and use it for show and tell about how Rasbperry Pi's and learning linux is so cool and fun.

gkreidl

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:58 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:...
With OmxplayerGUI The Audio player settings need one additional File format support for audio.

.m4a (don't scorn me but that's the default file format for Apple Music purchases.)
... will be added in the next release.

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:13 am

gkreidl wrote: ... will be added in the next release.
Awesome :D

jampony

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Is it me or have keyboard shortcuts stopped working again in omxplayer with CAPS Lock on?

Also a minor issue: Selecting all text with Ctrl + A doesn't seem to work in the Frontend input box.

Thanks for the continued support, gkreidl!

gkreidl

Fri May 05, 2017 6:36 am

jampony wrote:Is it me or have keyboard shortcuts stopped working again in omxplayer with CAPS Lock on?

Also a minor issue: Selecting all text with Ctrl + A doesn't seem to work in the Frontend input box.

Thanks for the continued support, gkreidl!
Keyboard support is based on keysyms (similar to omxplayer itself). This means, that you get different values, if the SHIFT key is pressed (or caps lock is activated). Catching shifted keys would considerably blow up the keyboard event handler which already is the longest function in the player class and I have decided against doing it.

cjan

Wed May 17, 2017 1:35 am

one question,
does omxplayGui eat some codecs that user created in /usr/lib/w32codecs ?

gkreidl

Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 am

cjan wrote:one question,
I'm not sure what you mean. omxplayerGUI is just a GUI for omxplayer; it's not aware of any codecs. I don't think omxplayer uses any software codecs at all (for video).

cjan

Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 am

gkreidl wrote:
cjan wrote:one question,
I'm not sure what you mean. omxplayerGUI is just a GUI for omxplayer; it's not aware of any codecs. I don't think omxplayer uses any software codecs at all (for video).
ok, thanks.

Return to “Raspbian”