torekk

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser)

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Is there some way to play a video from a youtube playlist URL? I mean, if I copy the playlist URL, OmxplayerGUI refuses to extract the video, if I remove everything after the first "&" it works fine.

It used to work when I set the playlist's privacy to private on youtube, but somehow that doesn't work anymore.

The problem I have is that loading a 200+ playlist takes a little while, copying each video link into OmxplayerGUI takes less time, but stripping the URL manually each time is a bit tedious.

gkreidl

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:46 pm

torekk wrote:Is there some way to play a video from a youtube playlist URL? I mean, if I copy the playlist URL, OmxplayerGUI refuses to extract the video, if I remove everything after the first "&" it works fine.

It used to work when I set the playlist's privacy to private on youtube, but somehow that doesn't work anymore.

The problem I have is that loading a 200+ playlist takes a little while, copying each video link into OmxplayerGUI takes less time, but stripping the URL manually each time is a bit tedious.
playlists do work, but take a while and may break, if one video in the list is not available or private or causes some other kind of error.

Try the following:
Disable the ytdl-server (in settings)
Enter the youtube playlist URL in omxplayerGUI and click "Extract...".
Although I have set up the youtube-dl-server to ignore errors it doesn't seem to do so, but the command line versions does.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

torekk

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 pm

gkreidl wrote: playlists do work, but take a while and may break, if one video in the list is not available or private or causes some other kind of error.

Try the following:
Disable the ytdl-server (in settings)
Enter the youtube playlist URL in omxplayerGUI and click "Extract...".
Although I have set up the youtube-dl-server to ignore errors it doesn't seem to do so, but the command line versions does.
Sorry for my wording, what I meant isn't playlist playback, that works fine. I guess an example of what I meant can't hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fj5pIp ... LeLFDaS7tQ - This link copied into OmxplayerGUI isn't extractable, but if I remove everything after the first & it does. Basically my usage of OmxplayerGUI is as follow: I use chrome to browse youtube and copy the links, but anytime I copy one from a playlist I have to strip everything after the first & or else I have to wait, which usually ends up in me opening the task manager and killing the python task, since it's quicker than waiting for the playlist to load. I don't want to watch the whole playlist at times, but just a single video from it.

So my question would be if there is some way to parse the pasted links for the &, maybe as a seperate option that's not on by default(so it doesn't break normal playlist playback).

gkreidl

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 pm

torekk wrote: Sorry for my wording, what I meant isn't playlist playback, that works fine. I guess an example of what I meant can't hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fj5pIp ... LeLFDaS7tQ - This link copied into OmxplayerGUI isn't extractable, but if I remove everything after the first & it does. Basically my usage of OmxplayerGUI is as follow: I use chrome to browse youtube and copy the links, but anytime I copy one from a playlist I have to strip everything after the first & or else I have to wait, which usually ends up in me opening the task manager and killing the python task, since it's quicker than waiting for the playlist to load. I don't want to watch the whole playlist at times, but just a single video from it.

So my question would be if there is some way to parse the pasted links for the &, maybe as a seperate option that's not on by default(so it doesn't break normal playlist playback).
youtube-dl returns exactly one video from this URL. That's nothing I can change.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

cjan

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 am

my vlc broken, so does omxplayer-gui play dvb-t channels?

gkreidl

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:03 am

cjan wrote:my vlc broken, so does omxplayer-gui play dvb-t channels?
Yes.

WesWesthaver

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:23 pm

gkreidl wrote:The kweb suite is free and Open Source software published under the GPL license. Source code is a avaiable as a separate download.
Where can I find the source code? I'm trying to learn how to control OMXPlayer via DBUS and could really use some example code.

Thank you,
-Wes

gkreidl

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 am

WesWesthaver wrote:
gkreidl wrote:The kweb suite is free and Open Source software published under the GPL license. Source code is a avaiable as a separate download.
Where can I find the source code? I'm trying to learn how to control OMXPlayer via DBUS and could really use some example code.

Thank you,
-Wes
http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kwe ... src.tar.gz

owntheweb

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Image Image

Hello Kweb gurus,
I've used Kweb for a couple of years now to run Pi digital signage at the annual Space Symposium. It works great and I love it!

This year I've upgraded everything (latest Raspian, Pi 3s, latest Kweb3), loading up Kweb without Pixel or logins. All works very well, but I'm struggling with video. I'm attempting to load video via omxplayer by targeting an iframe with a familiar kweb-specific url:

Code: Select all

file:///homepage.html?cmd=omxplayergui.py%20--preset=nogui%20av%20/home/pi/pres/m/video/The-Space-Report-2-Horizontal.mp4
This results in a black window showing up with a File menu shown and a cursor in the middle of the screen. No video. It's ruined once that shows up.

So far I know that omxplayer is fine and that the video exists and plays ok in omxplayer alone. After ssh'ing in:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
omxplayer /home/pi/pres/m/video/The-Space-Report-2-Horizontal.mp4
(that works)

Did something change with omxplayergui.py? I'll take a fresh look at the docs shortly.

HTML5 video is not an option as it is not accelerated by the GPU like it is when run through omxplayer. Running the full-screen videos through that results in extreme lag (tried it, hope that's supported by the webkit libraries outside of kweb that get brought in at some point).

Thanks for taking a look! :D

Chris
Worlds to explore. Worlds to create.

gkreidl

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Chris,

thanks for the nice pictures; they'll go into my collection of kweb applications.

There are ways to use omxplayer in overlay mode which looks like video in the browser. Perhaps you should check the developer's chapter of the latest version of the omxplayerGUI manual. You can also send me a PM with more details.

owntheweb

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I think I see some notable changes in usage. I'll take a fresh look in the morning and work something up.

Thanks again,
Worlds to explore. Worlds to create.

olmesm

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:40 am

Hey guys!

Signed up just to post this. Really appreciate kweb but no matter where I searched I couldn't seem to find decent or recent docs on setting up kweb on rasbian-lite.

I've strapped some docs together and attached them to a personal project. Thought this may come in handy for anybody else that's trying to build up a project as well.

https://github.com/olmesm/peepopi

Jww

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Kweb seems to be excactly what I was looking for (playlist view). See picture. I didn't see the option to start with this view (and playlist) on startup, is this possible? Beside this, is it possible to show a progressbar of the file playing? (my main reason to have a display).

gkreidl

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 am

Jww wrote:Kweb seems to be excactly what I was looking for (playlist view). See picture. I didn't see the option to start with this view (and playlist) on startup, is this possible? Beside this, is it possible to show a progressbar of the file playing? (my main reason to have a display).
Regarding your first question: yes, if you start omxplayerGUI like this:
omxplayergui playlist.m3u
(and the playlist only contains audio files)

The answer to your second question is 'no'. omxplayerGUI and omxplayer are still two different programs. A progress bar would require a rather heavy communication between both programs using dbus and I have always tried to keep communication as low as possible. The audio player doesn't use dbus at all, for example, only the video player window.

Jww

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:51 am

gkreidl wrote:
Jww wrote:Kweb seems to be excactly what I was looking for (playlist view). See picture. I didn't see the option to start with this view (and playlist) on startup, is this possible? Beside this, is it possible to show a progressbar of the file playing? (my main reason to have a display).
Regarding your first question: yes, if you start omxplayerGUI like this:
omxplayergui playlist.m3u
(and the playlist only contains audio files)

The answer to your second question is 'no'. omxplayerGUI and omxplayer are still two different programs. A progress bar would require a rather heavy communication between both programs using dbus and I have always tried to keep communication as low as possible. The audio player doesn't use dbus at all, for example, only the video player window.
Thanks for your quick replys!, would adding this functionality require a lot of work(with software enable/disable option?) I use a raspberry 3, no issues with resources.

Or is it possible to add a progressbar/counter by myself in some way? Or any other way?
Can you please help me further?

gkreidl

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Jww wrote: Thanks for your quick replys!, would adding this functionality require a lot of work(with software enable/disable option?) I use a raspberry 3, no issues with resources.

Or is it possible to add a progressbar/counter by myself in some way? Or any other way?
Can you please help me further?
Yes, it would require lots of changes:
implementing a dbus module in python instead of using an external script.
Complete rewrite of the audioplayer, which doesn't use dbus communication at all at the moment.
The video player uses dbus communication and has a slider to set the video position but I never considered adding a progress bar. It was a design decision met long time ago and I always wanted omxplayerGUi to be usable on all RPi models.

Gadgetguy

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Like a great many raspberry pi users I greatly appreciate kweb and omxplayergui and the scrupulous care you take in maintaining,documenting, improving it and responding to inquiries..

`You may not be aware but changes made to kweb subsequent to version 1.7.4 ( I suspect on version 1.75 ) have at least on my system introduced a minor problem in omxplayergui namely if “dar” is enabled in the settings so as to display proper aspect ratio, some but not all keyboard control is lost, eg although pressing q will terminate the video, the arrow keys and navigation controls and alt + keys cease working and on some but not all videos the wrong aspect ratio is displayed and when this occurs the resize button on the window is greyed out.. Fortunately if “dar” is disabled in the settings the problems go away. However when dar is disabled the wrong aspect ratio is sometimes very briefly displayed on standard def video before self correcting. . Dar worked wonderfully well on version 1.74 (even after all the recent system upgrades), although as memory serves this problem has occured in some previous kweb versions (but not all).

When called upon to render demanding video it is almost axiomatic that with a device like raspberry pi with tepid cpu it's desirable to invoke assistance from its' healthy gpu. I whole heartedly agree with your expressed sentiment that it is much preferable when practical and possible to use a hardware acclerated video player for viewing video rather than playing in browser where it is usually rendered in poorer quality with higher usage of scarce system resources and with less control. That being said it is also desirable for a device like raspberry to have more than one arrow in its' quiver so that there a variety of fallback alternatives.
I therefore value the ability of kweb3 and chromium to play higher definition video in browser albeit at somewhat lower quality with higher resource usage. I was therefore rather saddened to see the deteriration of fluidity in kweb's ability to seek and navigate within a video rendered in browser which previously was quick and accurate.. It should be noted that this loss in seeking performance has also afflicted that other webkit browser epiphany. The loss in seeking fluidity manifested itself sometime after the September release of Raspbian when it was still working fine but also definitely before the update to gstreamer referenced in this exchange within the kweb thread:

“ by cjan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:11 pm
gstreamer got update, does improve(fix) anything?

by gkreidl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I'll check it tomorrow - I have not upgraded yet and my RPis are busy right now.

by gkreidl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am
gkreidl wrote:

After updating: it seems that seeking in web videos is very unreliable now (tested with kweb (= software only) and kweb3 (= hw accelerated).
The old bug in glimagesink seems to have been fixed, but I assume it needs the OpenGL driver (which I don't use) as it is simply too slow to be useful. “

It certainly would be great if this problem could be diagnosed and corrected and kweb3 previous sterling seeking performance be restored to it's former glory. I This problem seems to have first manifested itself around the time when all the improvements in chromium's video performace were happening. I have absolutely no idea whether this is mere coincidence.

The kweb browser is lightning fast when java script is disabled (the easy on- off toggles on the toolbar are convenient and quick)., although if too many java infested pages are loaded at once with javascript enasbled it can bog down.Is there a way to kill in the task manager one instance of a struggling kweb window without the risk of closing other kweb instances that are still responsive. The task manager only identifies each instance as kweb so it is hard to know what represents what.

Note: Omxplayergui works very well as the videoplaying engine for Smtube youtube browser(see-viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176836&sid=1128ce8 ... 452b0ed396)

gkreidl

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 am

@Gadgetgui: Thanks for the detailed report.

I noticed something similar a while back with certain web streams, but very rarely. Suddenly the communication between the GUI and omxplayer is very much delayed (both keyboard and dbus). I ran some experiments with livestreamer (using the built-in server) and always got this problem, which otherwise only rarely happened. And it also happens, when I run omxplayer standalone from a terminal window, so it is not related to omxplayerGUI at all.

The problem may get worse if you use the get_DAR method, because it uses a second omxplayer instance to retrieve the information (instead of dbus commands).

If you can send me an URL of a live stream which shows this behavior, I can open an issue at the omxplayer github. The only example I have has geo-restriction enabled (German TV stream) and only works from Germany.

Gadgetguy

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 am

Hi thanks for responding to my inquiry so quickly. Sorry to be slow responding. I am amazed how you and Dougie Lawson and many others can be so prolific in your contributions to this forum.

With non-live streams say either on youtube or on a video file on my local usb flash drive with dar enabled I lose the ability to navigate the file either by keyboard or by omxplayergui's controls both on the youtube file and on the local usb file and I noticed with one webm file on my local drive that I also lost ability to resize or drag the window . Accordingly this forces me to leave dar disabled which is fine except for the minor inconvenience that on some files ie some standard def files the aspect ratio is sometimes returned incorectly for a brief second or two and then it auto-corrects to the correct aspect ratio.It is only a minor annoyance. However these behaviours were not present on kweb version 1.7.4 when I found dar worked well.

With respect to livestreams, one live stream that I sometimes use and that seems to me to sometimes display anomalous behaviour (at least on my system) is the France24 Live Stream in English : https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic . Perhaps it will be useful to you in your diagnostic sleuthing. Naturally it can be played by navigating to the site using kweb and pressing play or by pasting the address in to omxplayergui. And right at this very moment it seems to work fine for me either with dar enabled or disabled. But sometimes eg 20 minutes ago I am sure it didn't work properly with dar disabled eg. I couldn't resize or drag the window. Perhaps it is my imagination playing tricks on me or perhaps sometimes it is just so very very slow to load and allow resizing. If I understand you correctly omxplayergui now has livestreamer built in? I can paste a livestream link in omxplayergui and it will play?

In the past I have sometimes used livestreamer using the command line in the terminal with omxplayer designated as it's player by:

livestreamer https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic 720p or

livestreamer https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic 1080p

When I used livestreamer in this manner , my livestreamer config file which seems to work albeit a bit slowly, is as follows:

player=omxplayergui
player-no-close
player-continuous-http

Again at various times in the past including 20 minutes ago with dar disabled the video window wouldn't resize or drag. I will monitor this stream from time to time and see if this problem repeats itself and notify you if it does

gkreidl

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 am

Gadgetguy wrote:Hi thanks for responding to my inquiry so quickly. Sorry to be slow responding. I am amazed how you and Dougie Lawson and many others can be so prolific in your contributions to this forum.

With non-live streams say either on youtube or on a video file on my local usb flash drive with dar enabled I lose the ability to navigate the file either by keyboard or by omxplayergui's controls both on the youtube file and on the local usb file and I noticed with one webm file on my local drive that I also lost ability to resize or drag the window . Accordingly this forces me to leave dar disabled which is fine except for the minor inconvenience that on some files ie some standard def files the aspect ratio is sometimes returned incorectly for a brief second or two and then it auto-corrects to the correct aspect ratio.It is only a minor annoyance. However these behaviours were not present on kweb version 1.7.4 when I found dar worked well.

With respect to livestreams, one live stream that I sometimes use and that seems to me to sometimes display anomalous behaviour (at least on my system) is the France24 Live Stream in English : https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic . Perhaps it will be useful to you in your diagnostic sleuthing. Naturally it can be played by navigating to the site using kweb and pressing play or by pasting the address in to omxplayergui. And right at this very moment it seems to work fine for me either with dar enabled or disabled. But sometimes eg 20 minutes ago I am sure it didn't work properly with dar disabled eg. I couldn't resize or drag the window. Perhaps it is my imagination playing tricks on me or perhaps sometimes it is just so very very slow to load and allow resizing. If I understand you correctly omxplayergui now has livestreamer built in? I can paste a livestream link in omxplayergui and it will play?

In the past I have sometimes used livestreamer using the command line in the terminal with omxplayer designated as it's player by:

livestreamer https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic 720p or

livestreamer https://youtu.be/1Ydto3Iyzic 1080p

When I used livestreamer in this manner , my livestreamer config file which seems to work albeit a bit slowly, is as follows:

player=omxplayergui
player-no-close
player-continuous-http

Again at various times in the past including 20 minutes ago with dar disabled the video window wouldn't resize or drag. I will monitor this stream from time to time and see if this problem repeats itself and notify you if it does
No livestreamer support built-in. I was considering it, but connecting to the livestreamer server resulted in very slow response times of the co0mmunication between omxplayer and omxplayerGUI.

When starting a video, omxplayerGUI uses two different methods to get the aspect, duration etc. form the video:
1)(default) using dbus commands. This can only be used, after the video has started playing, hence the delay in setting the window size (if needed).
2) get_DAR method: omxplayerGUI runs "omxplayer -i ..." and tries to extract the information it needs, before starting to play the video. Video start will be delayed this way (up to a few seconds).

You can toggle the method, while the video is playing in the latest release by pressing ALT+r. This will switch between methods and try to reload the information. If you run this command when no video is playing it just toggles the method (for next play command).

I will check the stream you provided.

Edit: I just tested the stream from the link you provided. This is one of the (live) streams which produce the "delayed communication" effect. There is a rather long delay in all dbus communication with omxplayer.

Gadgetguy

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 am

Just for your refererence the livestream we have been discussing,is once again misbehaving just now- it will open but video window will not resize or drag.

gkreidl

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:34 am

Gadgetguy wrote:Just for your refererence the livestream we have been discussing,is once again misbehaving just now- it will open but video window will not resize or drag.
Try ALT+r

Gadgetguy

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:18 pm

When I had posted that last reply I had deployed omxplayergui via livestreamer.
Trying it again just now via livestreamer I seem to get inconsistent results, In my omxplayergui settings I have dar disabled. So when i I deployed once again with default settings result-no-resizing. Pressing alt + r after a relatively short time allowed resizing. Closing terminal and omxplayergui and trying via livestrreamer a few moments later I was not able to resize even toggling alt + r back and forth. I have now tried the livestreamer method several times- again no resizing.

However when I navigate to the livestream via kweb and press play the stream will launch in omxplayergui and allow resizing and toggling alt + r back and fort still allows resizing. There is some hesitancy of course but it will resize. I have repeated several times again with success. However the other day when i tried on one occasion it did not seem to allow resizing with dar disabled. Perhaps I did not wait long enough for dbus communication to take place.

gkreidl

Flash support and PDF inside the browser window

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am

New features in kweb 1.7.8

Note: Previously plugins have been enabled by default in kweb(3), but have not been very useful. With the possibility of adding flash support to firefox and most webkit based browsers (but not epiphany or kweb3), a better control of plugins is required.

1) The "L" option has got a new meaning: enable Plugins, when the browser starts.

2) A new toggle button has been added to the toolbar to enable/disable plugins. This works per window (website), similar to the Javascript button. A separate reload is required after enabling plugins.

3) kweb(3) checks if mozplugger is installed and handles PDF links differently, if mozpluger is found and plugins are enabled.

Flash support (based on an original post by paulwratt):

To get flash support in kweb (but not kweb 3!), download the following file and install it with gdebi:
For Jessie:

wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/f/freshplayerplugin/browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash_0.3.5-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb
sudo gdebi browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash_0.3.5-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb
For Stretch:

wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/f/freshplayerplugin/browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash_0.3.5-1+b2_armhf.deb
sudo gdebi browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash_0.3.5-1+b2_armhf.deb
Then create the ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf

leafpad ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf
and add the following content:

audio_buffer_min_ms = 20
audio_buffer_max_ms = 500
audio_use_jack = 0
jack_autoconnect_ports = 1
jack_autostart_server = 1
pepperflash_path = "/usr/lib/chromium-browser/libpepflashplayer.so"
flash_command_line = "enable_stagevideo_auto=1"
enable_3d = 0
enable_hwdec = 0
quiet = 0
fullscreen_width = 0
fullscreen_height = 0
randomize_dns_case = 0
device_scale = 1
quirk_plasma5_screensaver = 0
enable_windowed_mode = 1
enable_xembed = 1
tie_fullscreen_window_to_browser = 1
enable_vaapi = 0
enable_vdpau = 0
vsync_afterwait_us = 0
fs_delay_ms = 300
enable_vsync = 1
double_click_delay_ms = 400
show_version_info = 0
probe_video_capture_devices = 0
# setting the following to '0' also seems to work
enable_xrender = 1
Note: This already works in kweb 1.7.7, but cannot be disabled.

PDF inside the browser window:
Install mozplugger
Enable Plugins, and the PDF files will be shown in the browser window and not in an external viewer. By default, mozplugger will use XPDF, but this can be changed in /etc/mozpluggerrc to use other programs (evince, for example).

Note: Extended PDF links (like ....pdf#page=33) are not completely supported by mozplugger (the pdf viewer does not jump to the given page). If you need this, disable plugins and use kweb's external PDF mode.

Mozplugger will also give access to lots of other file formats, but not all of them will be embedded within the browser window. LibreOffice documents, for example, will open in a separate LibreOffice window.

All audio/ and video/ mimetypes will still be routed to omxplayerGUI, but this can be disabled with the "Omxplayer" toggle button. In this case, mozplugger may be called to play media files, which are not supported by the built-in media player.

omxplayerGUI in 1.7.8 has now better support for pure audios streams inside the video player (internet or DVB radio streams, for example).

kweb 1.7.8 is being tested right now and will soon be published.
Last edited by gkreidl on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fyren

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:23 am

I ran into a problem with CSS animations (which Asampaiz probably also found about a year ago here: viewtopic.php?p=914708#p914708). Basically, kweb will play animations but kweb3 and epiphany won't (and Chromium will). It was presumed to be a webkit bug.

In the slight chance it's helpful to other people: in both epiphany and kweb3, if you embed the same HTML page with an animation into an iframe, the animation will play. (i.e. if you load animation.html with kweb3, it fails to play, but if you open iframe.html that just sticks animation.html into an iframe, it works.)

I couldn't find any way kweb3 was initializing the webview that would matter versus what it's doing by itself for iframes, but maybe there is something I missed.

Return to “Raspbian”