nomad_lw

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser)

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:59 pm

gkreidl wrote: Regarding kweb3 = using the modified webkitgtk-3 engine, same as epiphany.
Basically the "stability" of kweb3 is the same as that of epiphany, with one exception: I have disabled hardware accelerated scrolling, which prevents quite a lot of pages from loading at all.
A few known bugs (there are more):
The built-in video player may crash after playing some videos (memory leak)
Web audio is broken.
Advantages of kweb3:
HW accelerated video playback
Javascript execution twice as fast (JIT compiler).

I'm able to get descent performance on kweb3, cpu usage is so minimal! But for some reason kweb3 (even midori and epiphany) don't run the animation. Chromium 51 runs well. When it comes to 1080p video, the OMXplayer is VERY smooth.
It's the best I would imagine the pi3 can run.

Is there a way I can make omxplayer be the default video player on chromium?
The webpage will run mostly unattended, and fullscreen videos automatically play and when done, the screen returns to the page that was running earlier.

gkreidl

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 pm

nomad_lw wrote:
I'm able to get descent performance on kweb3, cpu usage is so minimal! But for some reason kweb3 (even midori and epiphany) don't run the animation. Chromium 51 runs well. When it comes to 1080p video, the OMXplayer is VERY smooth.
It's the best I would imagine the pi3 can run.

Is there a way I can make omxplayer be the default video player on chromium?
The webpage will run mostly unattended, and fullscreen videos automatically play and when done, the screen returns to the page that was running earlier.
Yes, read the development chapter of the omxplayerGUI manual.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

george.d

Kweb on general Debian?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 pm

I understand this is a Pi forum, but I am interested in running Kweb on a different hardware, not Pi, and have not found a better place to ask.. these doesn't seem to be a website.

I have a AMRHF linux machine from Technologic Systems, running Jessie. I can download and install Kweb and run it just fine under XFCE4 manually. However I have a hard time starting it automatically from a bash script (where I can run Firefox-ESR just fine) using Matchbox window manager.
http://wiki.embeddedarm.com/wiki/TS-TPC ... omatically

If I run Kweb the same way, I only get FXCE4 login screen. I have been at this about 8 hours now and I can't find what the problem is.
I used init.d script, systemd service, anything I could think of. The result is always the login screen. I am lost at this point, not knowing if I am doing something wring, or of Kweb will just not run on a not-Pi hardware this way.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
George

nomad_lw

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 am

Unfo
gkreidl wrote: Yes, read the development chapter of the omxplayerGUI manual.
Unfortunately I am not the developer of the menu applications, just the systems integrator. So I have no access (if any, very limited) to the web-pages that they stream to the clients.

Any way I can make the browser auto-play every video that gets loaded via omxplayer in 1080 overlay mode and not change the content currently being displayed on the browser?

gkreidl

Re: Kweb on general Debian?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:56 am

george.d wrote:I understand this is a Pi forum, but I am interested in running Kweb on a different hardware, not Pi, and have not found a better place to ask.. these doesn't seem to be a website.

I have a AMRHF linux machine from Technologic Systems, running Jessie. I can download and install Kweb and run it just fine under XFCE4 manually. However I have a hard time starting it automatically from a bash script (where I can run Firefox-ESR just fine) using Matchbox window manager.
http://wiki.embeddedarm.com/wiki/TS-TPC ... omatically

If I run Kweb the same way, I only get FXCE4 login screen. I have been at this about 8 hours now and I can't find what the problem is.
I used init.d script, systemd service, anything I could think of. The result is always the login screen. I am lost at this point, not knowing if I am doing something wring, or of Kweb will just not run on a not-Pi hardware this way.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
George
The kweb suite has been written for the RPi and Raspbian Jessie. It requires software which is only available for the RPi. And I cannot support other systems.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:26 am

nomad_lw wrote: Unfortunately I am not the developer of the menu applications, just the systems integrator. So I have no access (if any, very limited) to the web-pages that they stream to the clients.

Any way I can make the browser auto-play every video that gets loaded via omxplayer in 1080 overlay mode and not change the content currently being displayed on the browser?
That's the wrong approach. If you want to use RPis as cheap clients, the web application has to be designed for it.

nomad_lw

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 am

gkreidl wrote: That's the wrong approach. If you want to use RPis as cheap clients, the web application has to be designed for it.
Fair point. I'll try my best to work with the developers.
Thanks a tonne for all the help!

gkreidl

Version 1.7.6 available

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am

This is a maintenance update with a number of small improvements. You can use the the "Check for Program Update" button on kweb's menu page to get the new version.

kweb, kweb3:
Opening a page in a new browser instance now uses autoconfig again (if it exists). Use of URLs is now forbidden in autoconfig. It should only be used to set encoding, spellchecking language(s) and perhaps initial zoom.
kweb3 uses large icons by default because setting icon size in lxappearance is broken for GTK+3 applications. If you don't like it, use the small icons option.

omxplayerGUI:
If started with a preset, the same preset is used for the ytdl_server (if enabled and not already running).
Workaround if omxplayer reports an aspect ratio of 0. If get_DAR is enabled and the DAR information is missing, the program tries to detect the aspect ratio from the video size in pixels (if available).
Added two new aspect ratios to the menu.
Video names (in most cases the file names) are now displayed in the window title bar.
Automatically detect and use .srt subtitle files if they have the same name as video file with file extender .srt.

ytdl_server.py:
Better handling of settings and command line options (which take precedence).
New command line option: -a=.... to select an alternate player (instead of omxplayerGUI), e. g. "-a=vlc".
This works well with (hardware accelerated) vlc and to some degree (web video, playlists) with kodi (using -a=kodi-standalone or -a=startkodi, if you use the kodi version I compiled).

Other:
Fixed a typo in kwebhelper.py which was responsible for not deleting the update script.
Added at-spi2-core to the dependencies of the Debian package to get rid of a nasty error message on recent Raspbian installations.

george.d

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you.

Would it be possible to adapt it to plain Debian Jessie? That's what my hardware runs. I find Kweb to be wonderful and would really love to use it for my kiosk application.

Thanks.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm

george.d wrote:Thank you.

Would it be possible to adapt it to plain Debian Jessie? That's what my hardware runs. I find Kweb to be wonderful and would really love to use it for my kiosk application.

Thanks.
Bascally it will work with any Debian distribution, but two things will be missing:
omxplayer and all the stuff that depends on it (omxplayerGUI, ytdl-server).
The special HW accelerated functions of the webkitgtk3 engine supplied by the foundation.

george.d

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm

That would be fine with me. I don't need the OMX player.

basically the only problem I have is starting Kweb automatically.
- If I do it from SSH command line while the display is in desktop mode, it runs fine.
- If I do it from SSH command line while the display is in a command line mode, it runs fine.
- If I do it from the command line on the display using a connected keyboard, I get a "Segmentation fault". Firefox and Chromium run fine his way. This is bizarre because when this fails and I try to run it right away from SSH the same way, it works.
- If I attempt to start it as part of startup command in mini-x-session, I only get a login dialog in to XFCE4:

Code: Select all

matchbox-window-manager -use_titlebar no &
exec kweb -K http://www.google.com
If I run Firefox this way, it works fine:

exec firefox-esr http://www.google.com
How else could I start it in a kiosk mode? I didn't have luck with xinit or systemd either, I always get the login screen.

Do you have any idea here?
Running Debian Jessie, kernel 4.1.15.

Thanks.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

george.d wrote:That would be fine with me. I don't need the OMX player.

basically the only problem I have is starting Kweb automatically.
- If I do it from SSH command line while the display is in desktop mode, it runs fine.
- If I do it from SSH command line while the display is in a command line mode, it runs fine.
- If I do it from the command line on the display using a connected keyboard, I get a "Segmentation fault". Firefox and Chromium run fine his way. This is bizarre because when this fails and I try to run it right away from SSH the same way, it works.
- If I attempt to start it as part of startup command in mini-x-session, I only get a login dialog in to XFCE4:

exec kweb -K http://www.google.com
If I run Firefox this way, it works fine:

exec firefox-esr http://www.google.com
How else could I start it in a kiosk mode? I didn't have luck with xinit or systemd either, I always get the login screen.

Do you have any idea here?
Running Debian Jessie, kernel 4.1.15.

Thanks.
You have to start X11 in some way and afterwards a window manager and kweb. I have no idea how your system is organized, how xinit works, which scripts it starts etc. My preferred way is using xinit and a kiosk script. It has worked on all Raspbian versions, but needed fixing after the latest (unstable) XORG update, see: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=168739#p1084441

george.d

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Yes, X11 starts, then matchbox window manager and then (ideally) Kweb. I can run Chromium and Firefox this way just fine, it all starts correctly. Kweb chokes on in. Only successful start I can do with Kweb is manual from command line over SSH.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:09 pm

george.d wrote:Yes, X11 starts, then matchbox window manager and then (ideally) Kweb. I can run Chromium and Firefox this way just fine, it all starts correctly. Kweb chokes on in. Only successful start I can do with Kweb is manual from command line over SSH.
You should test in some desktop environment first.

gkreidl

Version 1.7.7 has been released

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:14 am

This versions fixes a few issues in omxplayerGUI when creating, sorting and saving playlists.
You can use the the "Check for Program Update" button on kweb's menu page to get the new version.

cjan

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:48 am

any adblock supported?

gkreidl

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 am

cjan wrote:any adblock supported?
No.

wininets

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:48 am

gkreidl wrote:
mrtee37 wrote: Thanks. I have WiFi_Check running in cron andit will reestablish a wifi link ( i can ssh via Wifi) but the browser wont refresh without manual intervention. If i have a wifi network connection what else should i be looking for? Is the ."unable to load page message" generated within the browser and what triggers it?
Mrtee
It's triggered withing the webkit engine if the URL cannot be loaded (usually a network problem).

You could send a refresh message from a script using xdotool.
xdotool key alt+r
First Kweb is freaking awesome! Thank You!

In regards to "unable to load page" message. Since the error page is in the compiled code would it be possible at some point to use simple javascript to attempt to resolve the issue itself? Perhaps in a feature release it could be a setting.
I was thinking something like this...

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">setTimeout("window.history.go(-1)",3600;</script>

I'm sure the issue is caused by short internet access outages, when the internet is good its so reliable but the error seems like an unnecessarily dead end. When using it in kiosk mode without input devices to display unattended content, if something was to occur like ISP outages and Router reboots, I'd like it, and I think most people would like to attempt to automatically refresh, or default back to the homepage.

If not possible any other suggestions would be great.

johndavies

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 pm

I have had problems playing a particular radio station from a list since moving from kweb 1.7.5 to 1.7.7. The problem may not be in the program since I have been trying, and failing, to add ffmpeg to get_iplayer and so may have messed up the settings. Under 1.7.7 the radio stations start playing automatically before a choice can be made. Each station plays for a few seconds and then moves to the next in the list. Under 1.7.5 I could choose from the list after pressing "q" or "Esc" but I could only get to see the list while I made my choice since it disappeared once the chosen radio station began playing. The only way I could see the chosen name playlist which stayed on the screen was to use the Text Editor to enter pairs of text in the following format:
File=http//rest of radiostation URL
Title=A Meaningful title such as Radio Paradise

You carry on adding pairs of File and Title until you finish the list and then save it with a recognisable title such as international.pls or speech.pls. Saving an empty file with a command in the LXTerminal such as sudo nano /media/pi/usb/RadioStations.m3u and then pasting an #EXTM3U format list of radio stations will allow you to see the titles of the URLs for a short time after pressing "q" or "Esc" The only way of keeping a radio station list on the screen for any length of time is to enter pairs of text as shown above and saving them as .pls files.

Deleting Kweb 1.7.7 and restoring Kweb 1.7.5 did allow me to choose and play a radio station from a list
If you want to set up a very quick way of playing your media files look at pages 27, 28 and part of 29 of the OmxplayerGui Manual. This is particularly useful for playing music either as albums or as random tracks. It is much easier to set up than mpc/mpd.

gkreidl

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm

wininets wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
mrtee37 wrote: Thanks. I have WiFi_Check running in cron andit will reestablish a wifi link ( i can ssh via Wifi) but the browser wont refresh without manual intervention. If i have a wifi network connection what else should i be looking for? Is the ."unable to load page message" generated within the browser and what triggers it?
Mrtee
It's triggered withing the webkit engine if the URL cannot be loaded (usually a network problem).

You could send a refresh message from a script using xdotool.
xdotool key alt+r
First Kweb is freaking awesome! Thank You!

In regards to "unable to load page" message. Since the error page is in the compiled code would it be possible at some point to use simple javascript to attempt to resolve the issue itself? Perhaps in a feature release it could be a setting.
I was thinking something like this...

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">setTimeout("window.history.go(-1)",3600;</script>

I'm sure the issue is caused by short internet access outages, when the internet is good its so reliable but the error seems like an unnecessarily dead end. When using it in kiosk mode without input devices to display unattended content, if something was to occur like ISP outages and Router reboots, I'd like it, and I think most people would like to attempt to automatically refresh, or default back to the homepage.

If not possible any other suggestions would be great.
To catch the event, that internet cannot be accessed, for a kiosk application you have to set up an external watchdog, e. g. a simple Python script that checks a certain connection and if it cannot be reached issues a command via xdotool (load a local HTML page, for example). If the internet is available again, send another command, e. g. the URL of the website for the kiosk.

gkreidl

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:50 pm

johndavies wrote:I have had problems playing a particular radio station from a list since moving from kweb 1.7.5 to 1.7.7. The problem may not be in the program since I have been trying, and failing, to add ffmpeg to get_iplayer and so may have messed up the settings. Under 1.7.7 the radio stations start playing automatically before a choice can be made. Each station plays for a few seconds and then moves to the next in the list. Under 1.7.5 I could choose from the list after pressing "q" or "Esc" but I could only get to see the list while I made my choice since it disappeared once the chosen radio station began playing. The only way I could see the chosen name playlist which stayed on the screen was to use the Text Editor to enter pairs of text in the following format:
File=http//rest of radiostation URL
Title=A Meaningful title such as Radio Paradise

You carry on adding pairs of File and Title until you finish the list and then save it with a recognisable title such as international.pls or speech.pls. Saving an empty file with a command in the LXTerminal such as sudo nano /media/pi/usb/RadioStations.m3u and then pasting an #EXTM3U format list of radio stations will allow you to see the titles of the URLs for a short time after pressing "q" or "Esc" The only way of keeping a radio station list on the screen for any length of time is to enter pairs of text as shown above and saving them as .pls files.

Deleting Kweb 1.7.7 and restoring Kweb 1.7.5 did allow me to choose and play a radio station from a list
If you want to set up a very quick way of playing your media files look at pages 27, 28 and part of 29 of the OmxplayerGui Manual. This is particularly useful for playing music either as albums or as random tracks. It is much easier to set up than mpc/mpd.
John, I'm not aware of any changes that may affect radio stations.
The rules are the follwoing;
A pls playlist is always interpreted as audio, which means that you get the audio player window with the visible playlist.
A m3u playlist may contain audio or video or both. omxplayerGUI tries to check if it is audio only and then will open the audio player window. If it contains video or both, it will open a video player window (and hide the playlist while playing).
If the m3u list contains http stream URLs, omxplayerGUI often cannot decide if it is an audio or video stream, in which case they are interpreted as video streams.
You can stop the stream, and switch the "STREAM:" menu to "audio" and then the radio streams will be played like audio files and the playlist remains visible.
Edit: You can also set the stream mode to audio as default on the settings page.

Fyren

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:03 pm

gkreidl wrote:
oozo wrote:Hello,

I need to troubleshoot a problem using Raspberry + Kweb3 + my application and to do so i need access to the javascript console (output) .. It is possible using kweb ?

Att
Kweb doesn't include such development tools. But you could use any webkit based browser which supports it for testing.
I think this request is just for something like console.log(), not a full interactive console/debugger. If you're using kweb features that aren't present in other browsers, like interacting with local scripts, then it's not so easy (maybe impossible) to use another Webkit browser to test.

Is the source for 1.7.7 available? I could only find 1.7.5. Do you have a public repository for the source code, gkriedl?

gkreidl

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Fyren wrote: I think this request is just for something like console.log(), not a full interactive console/debugger. If you're using kweb features that aren't present in other browsers, like interacting with local scripts, then it's not so easy (maybe impossible) to use another Webkit browser to test.

Is the source for 1.7.7 available? I could only find 1.7.5. Do you have a public repository for the source code, gkriedl?
Here's a simple webkit browser, written in Python, with an inspector window: http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/webkitdebug.tar.gz

The source package of 1.7.7 will be published in the next few days (always a little bit delayed :-) ).
And no, I don't use a a public source repository and don't want one. But the source will always be available as a separate download.

Fyren

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:34 am

gkreidl wrote:The source package of 1.7.7 will be published in the next few days (always a little bit delayed :-) ).
And no, I don't use a a public source repository and don't want one. But the source will always be available as a separate download.
Thanks for the quick response (and for making kweb in the first place).

What I ended up doing was adding a signal handler for console-message on the webview and just printing the message received to stdout. (If anyone does this themselves, remember to turn off private browsing or you won't get any callbacks.)

gkreidl

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm

Fyren wrote:Thanks for the quick response (and for making kweb in the first place).

What I ended up doing was adding a signal handler for console-message on the webview and just printing the message received to stdout. (If anyone does this themselves, remember to turn off private browsing or you won't get any callbacks.)
I tried to send you a PM, but you have disabled PMs.

Return to “Raspbian”