I've been using kweb3 for my digital signage project which runs from an IIS Server on site. It has multiple different pages and moves between them all itself, etc, but when I have a video on a page I have issues. I'm just using a HTML5 video tag, pointed at a video file on the server. It runs fine for hours, switching between pages and that. But then after a couple of hours it will freeze. Doesn't do this on non-video pages, so I presume it's the HTML5 video. Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this a common issue? I know the manual does say about using kweb3 can cause crashes. Is there any error logs I can check to see why it is doing this?
I've run a number of extensive tests (and also some of my beta testers) during the last weeks of the new 1.7 version. I've discovered some serious bugs in the video player of the webkit3 engine. I suppose that the problems are caused by bugs in the gstreamer-1.0 libraries which are used for video and audio decoding (I know about definite bugs from my transcoding project which also uses gstreamer-1.0). I think that there are some memory leaks (which I have observed before) which lead to memory corruption after a while.
It definitely depends on the size of the video area. If I disable omxplayer and play video streams directly inside the browser (the built-in video player, not embedded HTML5 video) the corruption starts earlier with larger video sizes (screen areas).
I will send some of my observations to the collabora developers, but I'm not sure if they are still working on it (and get paid by the Foundation). There hasn't been any update for a long time. And one gstreamer bug I reported is awaiting a fix for months. Another one got fixed after I proposed the fix myself.
I cannot do anything about it but report bugs and wait for bug fixes-
I don't know how you control your digital signage application. Perhaps we can find a workaround. Send me a PM with your email address.