gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:55 am

Version 1.6.7 is now available.
You can use the built-in update function.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

locutusweb
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 am

Guenter, thanks for your work on this!

I want to turn on Javascript by default in kweb3. I have set this in the configuration webpage of kweb3, but the javascript is disabled again on the next start of the browser and there isno check in the Javacript box in the configuration page anymore.

How do I turn on Javascript permanently?

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 am

locutusweb wrote:Guenter, thanks for your work on this!

I want to turn on Javascript by default in kweb3. I have set this in the configuration webpage of kweb3, but the javascript is disabled again on the next start of the browser and there isno check in the Javacript box in the configuration page anymore.

How do I turn on Javascript permanently?
Dis you save the configuration after enabling JS?
To check it, open a terminal and run:
cat .kweb.conf
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

locutusweb
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:09 am

gkreidl wrote: Dis you save the configuration after enabling JS?
No, but enabling JS and "commands" did the trick! Thanks.

Utimately, I want to build a digital signage system. I have it working via matchbox, but also in this kiosk mode no JS. This is my script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xset -dpms # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s off # disable screen saver
xset s noblank # don't blank the video device
unclutter &
matchbox-window-manager &
kweb3 -KHCUA+-zbhrqfpoklgtje file:///home/pi/narrowcast/narrowcast.html
TIA

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 am

locutusweb wrote:
gkreidl wrote: Dis you save the configuration after enabling JS?
No, but enabling JS and "commands" did the trick! Thanks.

Utimately, I want to build a digital signage system. I have it working via matchbox, but also in this kiosk mode no JS. This is my script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xset -dpms # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s off # disable screen saver
xset s noblank # don't blank the video device
unclutter &
matchbox-window-manager &
kweb3 -KHCUA+-zbhrqfpoklgtje file:///home/pi/narrowcast/narrowcast.html
TIA
Add 'J' to the config string:

Code: Select all

kweb3 -KHCUAJ+-zbhrqfpoklgtje file:///home/pi/narrowcast/narrowcast.html
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Version 1.6.8 available

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 am

There was a bug in package creation. I fixed it and created a new version 1.6.8 (no internal changes) to make updating from inside the browser possible.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

oozo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:04 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Hello

There's a way to update Kweb using terminal command ?

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm

oozo wrote:Hello

There's a way to update Kweb using terminal command ?
Simply download and install the new version as described in the OP.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Pirathonite
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:03 am

by Pirathonite » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 pm
Who is the creator of kweb. I'd like to ask him to uptimize it for codecombat.

Thank you!

by Pirathonite » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:31 am
Hello Eben Upton & raspberry pi forum users,

I would like to play the game from codecombat, Inc.'s codecombat which is an web browser in-game(web browser based) game to learn how to program in python, JavaScript and so they have a selection of other programing languages, for just 10 dollars. This game seems to help you much. I heartly want to ask you dear users, could you guys give a web browser for raspbian the best support if possible to the HTML5 features? The game runs smooth on my Intel computer but, runs slow on my raspberry pi 2. Now I see that in the kiosk browser for the raspberrypi 2 I get the most smoothness but it seems the website(codecombat) refuses to run on the kiosk browser. Could you guys try to fix this and make it yet run smoother? I understand the limit in processing power but I do have a feeling that you guys could do a few tweaks.

Thank you so much~



Just post some if you would like to tell me something. I will contact team@codecombat to see if they also could do tweaks but on codecombat for compatibility.

I sended them the following email:

Hello dear team@codecombat,

I love your game, I bought the game and it is very good. Unfortunately I have not been able to play it as much but I am very pleased with it. I found the game, I first played the game, and payed for the game, from my raspberry pi 2 running raspbian (NOOBS). I saw that it is more smooth on the raspbian web browser Kiosk than in iceweasel web browser which works, but codecombat doesnt support it. Please, could you guys improve codecombat so that my kiosk can run it (codecombat) and run it smooth as possible. Allow access from kiosk web browser, please.

Kiosk is a web browser for raspbian (linux distribution for the raspberry pi 2)

I posted here at raspberry pi main webpage asking for some more support from their side to improve kiosk.
view ... 3&t=118943

Please help.

Thank you,
Sincerely~

Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 am

They replied and they said that there is a mobile version but its not coming out yet. n the mean time is up to us.

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:47 am

You never mentioned what's happening, when you try to use kweb for it.
Can you play it with epiphany? Then you should be able to use kweb3, because both use the same webkit and Javascript engine. What you have to do:
1) Use kweb3, not kweb (because of the newer Javascript engine and JIT compiler)
2) Enable Javascript
3) If the website returns a message like "browser not supported", use another user agent. There are some predefined ones on the application page.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

locutusweb
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:32 am

gkreidl wrote: Add 'J' to the config string:

Code: Select all

kweb3 -KHCUAJ+-zbhrqfpoklgtje file:///home/pi/narrowcast/narrowcast.html
I wanted to report back that this is working perfectly! Thanks

nlazovic
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi I am using KWEB3 v1.6.8 on RPi2.
Currently web page page is served locally (kweb3 file://...) and have one HTML5 video element and javascript. it works ok. Thanks a lot for kweb3.
CPU usage reported is 40-70%, depending on video. Same video playing in omxplayer reports 5-10% CPU usage.

Problem is having more then 1 video on page.

Questions:
* does KWEB3 v1.6.8 use omxplayer to play video on page or using HW acceleration by the GPU ?
* is there a way to improve performance (actually to make it usable) playing more then 1 video on page ?

Thanks.

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:42 pm

kweb3 uses the gstreamer-1.0 engine for video (in fact it's webkitgkt-3, same as epiphany) with HW acceleration by the GPU. The video has to be copled back from the GPU to the framebuffer; that's responsible for the higher CPU work.

Multiple videos on one web page don't really work that way.

If you are using HTML files, you can simulate video(s) inside the web page with omxplayer, using it's --win option. Up to four SD videos should be possible.
The kweb manual contains some examples (p. 29ff).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Pirathonite
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:44 am

Hello there!

Please support for http://www.codecombat.com in kweb. We need this!


Thank you all!~

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:33 am

Pirathonite wrote:Hello there!

Please support for http://www.codecombat.com in kweb. We need this!


Thank you all!~
You have already asked for it and I have answered it here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860&sid=82ed2537 ... 08#p808321
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

haleruss
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 am

Have a little problem with omxplayer GUI.
When i try to play a wmv audio file 24 MB, the player stops after 40 seconds.

But using the command line works fine:

pi@raspberrypi /media/HALERUSS/Music/Wav $ omxplayer The_Entertainer
Audio codec pcm_s16le channels 2 samplerate 44100 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count: 0, state: off, index: 1, delay: 0
have a nice day ;)

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am

haleruss wrote:Have a little problem with omxplayer GUI.
When i try to play a wmv audio file 24 MB, the player stops after 40 seconds.

But using the command line works fine:

pi@raspberrypi /media/HALERUSS/Music/Wav $ omxplayer The_Entertainer
Audio codec pcm_s16le channels 2 samplerate 44100 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count: 0, state: off, index: 1, delay: 0
have a nice day ;)
Can you contact me by PM and provide the file somehow for testing?
Try renaming it to "anything.wma" - wmv is assumed to be video.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

haleruss
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:17 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:22 am

Ok. when rename to .wma, it plays without problems in omxplayer GUI

nlazovic
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:52 am

gkreidl wrote:kweb3 uses the gstreamer-1.0 engine for video (in fact it's webkitgkt-3, same as epiphany) with HW acceleration by the GPU. The video has to be copled back from the GPU to the framebuffer; that's responsible for the higher CPU work.

Multiple videos on one web page don't really work that way.

If you are using HTML files, you can simulate video(s) inside the web page with omxplayer, using it's --win option. Up to four SD videos should be possible.
The kweb manual contains some examples (p. 29ff).
Hi,
this sounds very promising... 3-4 videos is good number. THANKS.
2 questions:
* currently javascript within a page created <video.../> element at certain point in time (e.g. t=15 sec). Does KWEB scan page on load to insert omxplayer or listens on DOM events or ... ?
* is there another approach to start "omxplayer --win" at location required by page (from js ?)

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:13 pm

nlazovic wrote: Hi,
this sounds very promising... 3-4 videos is good number. THANKS.
2 questions:
* currently javascript within a page created <video.../> element at certain point in time (e.g. t=15 sec). Does KWEB scan page on load to insert omxplayer or listens on DOM events or ... ?
* is there another approach to start "omxplayer --win" at location required by page (from js ?)
Yes, by setting the src of an iframe to a command link.
No, kweb itself doesn't scan the page for anything; it doesn't interfere with the DOM in any way.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Pirathonite
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 am

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Pirathonite wrote:Hello there!

Please support for http://www.codecombat.com in kweb. We need this!


Thank you all!~
You have already asked for it and I have answered it here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860&sid=82ed2537 ... 08#p808321
dear gkreidl,

Yes, I am doing just that, but the game hangs when it loads a lesson. Also, if you could optimize in order for this game to run more smoother that would be great.

Very thankful, thank you for your fast answer!

Thanks!

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Pirathonite wrote: dear gkreidl,

Yes, I am doing just that, but the game hangs when it loads a lesson. Also, if you could optimize in order for this game to run more smoother that would be great.]

Very thankful, thank you for your fast answer!

Thanks!
I cannot do anything about that. This is all done by the webkitgtk engine.
Perhaps you should try iceweasel. It has the fastest javascript engine of all Raspbian browsers.
But if the lagging is caused by animated graphics, it won't help much.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

sriharshak
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:11 am

Am yet to install kweb on my Pi. Just a quick question, can we start the kweb in kiosk mode with predefined hieght and width.
Basically, i want a kiosk mode browser but not fullscreen. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sh.

gkreidl
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 am

sriharshak wrote:Am yet to install kweb on my Pi. Just a quick question, can we start the kweb in kiosk mode with predefined hieght and width.
Basically, i want a kiosk mode browser but not fullscreen. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sh.
Yes, that's possible, but only in a limited way. You can select one of 11 predefined window sizes and disable the full screen command. But you cannot control where the window appears. For a more fine-grained control you could run a script that uses wmctrl to send commands to the kweb window.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

nlazovic
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:56 am

gkreidl wrote:
nlazovic wrote: Hi,
this sounds very promising... 3-4 videos is good number. THANKS.
2 questions:
* currently javascript within a page created <video.../> element at certain point in time (e.g. t=15 sec). Does KWEB scan page on load to insert omxplayer or listens on DOM events or ... ?
* is there another approach to start "omxplayer --win" at location required by page (from js ?)
Yes, by setting the src of an iframe to a command link.
No, kweb itself doesn't scan the page for anything; it doesn't interfere with the DOM in any way.
I tried few options with no luck
Option 1
<div style="position: absolute; width: 600px; height: 400px; top: 200px; left: 200px;">
<iframe src="file:///homepage.html?cmd=omxplayergui.py%20--preset=nogui%20av%20media/video1.mp4"></iframe>
</div>

Option 2
<div style="position: absolute; width: 600px; height: 400px; top: 200px; left: 200px;">
<iframe src="file:///homepage.html?cmd=omxplayer%20--win%20media/video1.mp4"></iframe>
</div>

Option 3
<div style="position: absolute; width: 600px; height: 400px; top: 200px; left: 200px;">
<iframe src="file:///homepage.html?cmd=omxplayer%20--win%20200%20200%20800%20600%20media/video1.mp4"></iframe>
</div>

Any suggestions ?

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”