Micha1982

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 am

Installed the latest omxplayer now instead of the repos-version, and now it works better - not perfect, but better...now I am able to reset size and so on, thanks.

Is it maybe possible (for me/the user) to enable javascript and cookies by default?
And what about tabs, is there something planned for the near future?
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

gkreidl

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:16 am

Micha1982 wrote:Installed the latest omxplayer now instead of the repos-version, and now it works better - not perfect, but better...now I am able to reset size and so on, thanks.

Is it maybe possible (for me/the user) to enable javascript and cookies by default?
And what about tabs, is there something planned for the near future?
Enabling Javascript/Cookies automatically (and much more): Go to the configuration page (from the menu page or use control panel page or type ":c" in the URL entry line). Activate the options you need and click "Save". (Active when you start the browser next time). Manual page 17 ff.

Tabs: No, never. kweb will always stay what it is: a Minimal browser with some special features.

And I do not see tabbed browsing as a good way to browse the web with the RPi. Although kweb is "minimal", the web engine isn't: all modern web engines use lots of resources. Browsing with lots of tabs opened may easily drive the RPi to start swapping (and really slow it down). And the web engine doesn't use multiple cores (not being multi-threaded), so having some of those nasty endlessly loading pages open may soon block the small CPU. Of course it's always possible to open multiple browser windows.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

makem

Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:27 pm

On the Chinese pages I previously was able to access I now get a 'missing plug-in' error and a link to install flashplayer.

I have updated update-ytdl and javascript is selected.

gkreidl

Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 am

makem wrote:On the Chinese pages I previously was able to access I now get a 'missing plug-in' error and a link to install flashplayer.

I have updated update-ytdl and javascript is selected.
Try using the user agent of a mobile browser.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

makem

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 am

Thank you. Some work fine but usually the older movies. I think I need a Chinese proxie.

[edit]

Is it possible to use a proxie in mobile firefox?

haleruss

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:02 am

gkreidl wrote:Updated June, 18th, 2015: New version 1.6.5 available
Guenter Kreidl
Thanks a lot to Guenter Kreidl
I just installed the kweb3 browser and it works perfect :D

alexjeen

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Very straight forward script and very good performance! We use this application to start the browser in Kiosk mode for information display (signage)

I got the script working, when I just run it from the commandline it starts matchbox and a URL of my choice. However I cannot get the script to run on boot, no matter what I try.

First I tried the steps in the manual under: "Booting into your application:". It just starts X and nothing else. Then I tried running it in /etc/rc.local etcetera, but still no luck.

It must be something simple, does anyone have a clue?

gkreidl

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Send me your kiosk script and the end of rc.local via PM.

apsis

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Hello,

might be the dumbest of questions but...

How to enable kiosk mode.

I red the manual several times, i set Kiosk Mode preset from Configuration (manual page 19)
Then i save, refresh, add home URL, save again, refresh again....

Go to settings, select nogui profile.

Then refresh and restart browser - nothing changes.

I then created homepage.html that redirects to the desired homepage, but em still unable to rum fullscreen with no controls on startup.

How to achieve this???

gkreidl

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:56 pm

apsis wrote:Hello,

might be the dumbest of questions but...

How to enable kiosk mode.

I red the manual several times, i set Kiosk Mode preset from Configuration (manual page 19)
Then i save, refresh, add home URL, save again, refresh again....

Go to settings, select nogui profile.

Then refresh and restart browser - nothing changes.

I then created homepage.html that redirects to the desired homepage, but em still unable to rum fullscreen with no controls on startup.

How to achieve this???
If you don't use a script (or the command line) but the configuration page, select all the options you want to use (including "K" for kiosk mode and optionally the homepage URL) and the click the "Save" button. command execution (right most icon) must be enabled!

If it doesn't work, check for the file ".kweb.conf" in your home directory.

The "nogui" profile on the settings page has nothing to do with kiosk mode; it disables the GUI for omxplayer and runs media in full screen mode. All options in the settings page are for the helper programs; configuration page settings are for the browser itself.

sn123

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:39 am

Hey,

So am trying to run kweb in kiosk mode and it seems like rotated displays are not supported. When I set display_rotate=1 in config.txt, kweb still tries rendering itself as 1920x1080 causing bottom half of the screen to be blank. Basically, all I want is to be able to run kweb in fullscreen mode even when display is rotated (1080x1920), I am using matchbox-window-manager as the window manager. Below is my xinit script:

Code: Select all

unclutter & matchbox-­window-­manager &
kweb3 -HJWU file:///home/bow/index.html
I have tried with passing both N and without N option. kweb also exhibits the same problem. If I replace kweb with midori, it loads perfectly fine but am not happy with the rendering speed of midori - the page is a little js heavy and kweb3 seems to do a much better job compared to midori.

Any pointers on how to fix this issue?

sn123

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

sn123 wrote:Hey,

So am trying to run kweb in kiosk mode and it seems like rotated displays are not supported. When I set display_rotate=1 in config.txt, kweb still tries rendering itself as 1920x1080 causing bottom half of the screen to be blank. Basically, all I want is to be able to run kweb in fullscreen mode even when display is rotated (1080x1920), I am using matchbox-window-manager as the window manager. Below is my xinit script:

unclutter & matchbox-­window-­manager &
kweb3 -HJWU file:///home/bow/index.html
I have tried with passing both N and without N option. kweb also exhibits the same problem. If I replace kweb with midori, it loads perfectly fine but am not happy with the rendering speed of midori - the page is a little js heavy and kweb3 seems to do a much better job compared to midori.

Any pointers on how to fix this issue?
Never mind, I just changed the src and compiled myself. Different story that page rendering is jerky even in kweb3 in portrait mode, sigh.

gkreidl

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:15 pm

I suppose you simply reversed the default screen resolution to 1080x1920.

I still do not understand though, why the maximize command doesn't set it to the active screen size. There must be some problem with X11 or matchbox and rotated screens.

sn123

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 am

gkreidl wrote:I suppose you simply reversed the default screen resolution to 1080x1920.

I still do not understand though, why the maximize command doesn't set it to the active screen size. There must be some problem with X11 or matchbox and rotated screens.
Yep, that's all I did - swap defaultH and defaultW values and recompile. Actually its kinda weird - for testing purposes, I commented out display_rotate=1 in config.txt and rebooted, with my compiled version of kweb3 - the browser is always full-screen irrespective of whether I am on horizontal or vertical orientation.
Aside, If I use transform: translate3d style on any element, the entire page just turns black. I guess this should be a webkit bug rather than kweb's but was wondering what could be causing it. Could it be due to webkit not compatible with Pi's GPU?

gkreidl

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:45 am

sn123 wrote: Yep, that's all I did - swap defaultH and defaultW values and recompile. Actually its kinda weird - for testing purposes, I commented out display_rotate=1 in config.txt and rebooted, with my compiled version of kweb3 - the browser is always full-screen irrespective of whether I am on horizontal or vertical orientation.
Aside, If I use transform: translate3d style on any element, the entire page just turns black. I guess this should be a webkit bug rather than kweb's but was wondering what could be causing it. Could it be due to webkit not compatible with Pi's GPU?
I don't think that webgl is really supported in our current webkit engines. Although I have enabled it in kweb (experimental flag in kweb, always in kweb3), it doesn't really seem to work. html5test.com shows Webgl = "prefixed" (whatever that means) in kweb and not supported in kweb3.

There's no GPU support in webkitgtk1 (kweb) ind in webkitgtk3 it's limited to; video (gstreamer-omx), jpeg decoding and hardware accelerated scrolling.

sn123

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:50 pm

gkreidl wrote:
sn123 wrote: I don't think that webgl is really supported in our current webkit engines. Although I have enabled it in kweb (experimental flag in kweb, always in kweb3), it doesn't really seem to work. html5test.com shows Webgl = "prefixed" (whatever that means) in kweb and not supported in kweb3.

There's no GPU support in webkitgtk1 (kweb) ind in webkitgtk3 it's limited to; video (gstreamer-omx), jpeg decoding and hardware accelerated scrolling.
That's a pity, I spent a lot of time to get this thing going but currently the end result is just not acceptable. I've a pretty long div within the html page which I auto-scroll using Javascript. The content that gets scrolled is text only though does have alternate background color. I've tried different approaches for scrolling like using scrollTo in a setInterval (was very jittery on Midori, didn't try on kweb3), setting top position for div in setInterval (jittery in both Midori and kweb3), trying translate3d in a hope that it will push the repainting to GPU but all it does is show a black screen. htop shows that the core running X is almost always maxed out at 100% and hence the scroll being choppy. The memory doesn't seem to be an issue since am constantly around 50% free even after letting it run for more than an hour continuously. I did look at trying to find GPU accelerated Webkit browsers which perhaps didn't rely on X (I only need a full screen rendering engine with JS and CSS support) but didn't find anything worthwhile (some have reported bit of success using qt with egls and webkit but those are fairly old threads).

makem

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Omxplayer didn't work today. It just flashed the screen when selecting an mp4 file and returned to the frontend bar.

I also found that kweb3 no longer opened. Kweb was working.

I unistalled kweb, rebooted and reisnstalled but no difference.

It seems I have 'lost' both kweb3 and omxplayer.

I think a re-image is called for.

[edit] Must have been caused in the removing of games and other software that was not needed.

aik

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Is standalone omxplayeromx still supported? The instructions from the pdf mention a installomxplayergui script which is not in the package.

If I install everything, the scripts install but when I open a file, the actual omxplayer always starts with "--vol 0" and it always drops "-o hdmi" (which I tried adding in the script command line or omxoptions variable on the omxplayergui.py script) so there is no sound and the reason is there are kweb presets handling which makes these parameters.

How to install/run omxplayergui properly?

gkreidl

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:22 am

aik wrote:Is standalone omxplayeromx still supported? The instructions from the pdf mention a installomxplayergui script which is not in the package.

If I install everything, the scripts install but when I open a file, the actual omxplayer always starts with "--vol 0" and it always drops "-o hdmi" (which I tried adding in the script command line or omxoptions variable on the omxplayergui.py script) so there is no sound and the reason is there are kweb presets handling which makes these parameters.

How to install/run omxplayergui properly?
Separate installation of omxplayerGUI is not recommended, because it's rather complicated to edit its settings without using kweb. The install script is part of the source code package.

All settings are taken from kwebhelper_settings.py (in /usr/local/bin). It's possible to manually edit it (as root).
If you start omxplayergui.py from the command line, you can also use your own settings file, either with
--config=/path/to/settingsfile
(create a copy of kwebelper_settings.py somewhere and edit it as you like).
Or you can use:
--preset=presetname
where presetname is the name of a preset created with kweb using the settings page.

Be aware that there are four different kinds of omxplayer arguments: for normal video use, for the audio player, for live TV and for web video.
And not all omxplayer command line arguments are allowed, because they are replaced by other settings in omxplayerGUI (like the volume setting).

t3chguy

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello, I installed this today and tried it with a YouTube link in omxplayerGui to find that it played the video first and the audio when the video finished.

gkreidl

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

t3chguy wrote:Hello, I installed this today and tried it with a YouTube link in omxplayerGui to find that it played the video first and the audio when the video finished.
How did you install youtube-dl?
Did you add or modify any youtube settings on the settings page?

I just tested it with a recent youtube-dl update and had no problems.

gkreidl

Preparing kweb 1.6.6

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:54 am

I'm just testing version 1.6.6 and preparing it for publication. The most important changes regard the handling of new windows. Now each new window gets its own webkitsettings object. This means that some things are now local to that window.
The most important thing is that enabling/disabling Javascript in one window now won't change it in any other window. And it's also possible to use different user-agents or spellchecking languanges in different windows (nice if you are on forums using different languages, for example). When a new window is opened, it inherits its settings from the window, from which it was opened.

It's now also possible, to open a new window in a new browser instance. The webkit engine doesn't use multiple cores and so a long loading web page may block all other pages. Opening a new page in a new browser instance will need much more memory, but the new browser window will use another processor core. Of course, this should be used sparingly, but it may help, if you want to open multiple websites at the same time.

If you click on a link, which is set to open a new window, while holding the SHIFT key pressed, the new page will be opened in a new browser instance. It will use the same settings which were used when starting the original browser.

Remember that it's possible to create bookmark links that open in a new window by inserting the line
#!target=blank
into the bookmarks text file. (This will be used for all following links, until you insert another line = "#!target=top").

Unfortunately this is not possible when opening a page in a new window from the right click menu (the damned webkit engine never sends the signal I need in this case). Therefore I have implemented a workaround: pressing ALT+. will close the current window (if it's not the only one) and open it again in a new browser instance (if only one window is open, it won't be closed, but a new instance will be created nevertheless).

A small bug fix in dbuscontrolm.sh (thanks to rpdom) has now made it possible to use a more refined volume control in omxplayerGUI. The old method will still be used when a video runs in full screen or refresh mode (using the keyboard commands '+' and '-') and give visual feedback via the OSD. In window mode both the audio and video player will directly set the new volume without any OSD from omxplayer.

gkreidl

New version 1.6.6 online

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 am

Today I have published the new version 1.6.6.
User of older versions can use the built-in update function.

gkreidl

Re: New version 1.6.6 online

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05 pm

gkreidl wrote:Today I have published the new version 1.6.6.
User of older versions can use the built-in update function.
I've withdrawn version 1.6.6 again, because of a nasty bug in kweb3 which I need time to fix. If you have already updated, you have to remove it first to revert to stable version 1.6.5.:

sudo dpkg -r kweb
wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb-1.6.5.tar.gz
tar -xzf kweb-1.6.5.tar.gz
cd kweb-1.6.5
./debinstall

gkreidl

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 am

Next version will now be 1.6.7. It will contain all the changes announced for 1.6.6.
The crashes were all caused by HW accelerated scrolling (not by kweb3 itself). So it has been completely disabled for now (the "F" option will have no meaning for kweb3).
There hasn't been an update to the webkit3 engine (special Foundation version) for quite some time. I suppose they are busy with the Jessie version and we won't see any bug fixes until we migrate to Jessie finally.

A hint for epiphany users plagued by crashes. Start the browser with:
WEBKIT_DISABLE_TBS=1 epiphany
This will disable HW accelerated scrolling and prevent many crashes.
You could also modify the desktop file accordingly.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”