gkreidl

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 am

stepi wrote:I've got important news. youtube-dl is no longer on github. That's the very reason why the contents of /usr/bin/youtube-dl are overwritten with "Not Found" upon executing youtube-dl -U. There's no point in patching the old script, since there is no source of an updated script anymore. Can you distribute the updated script within the MBK download, or is this the end of it?
I ran omxplayer --win "0 0 100 100" and it does display a 100x100 video in the upper left corner.
No sound from omxplayer. By contrast, running aplay file.wav inside lxTerminal does play sound.

Edit: Sound also works when I visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0xitdXIs8 with the new Epiphany browser.
1. That's wrong. youtube is on github:
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/
(I'm using the git version myself)
2. youtube-dl -U does work on my system (if I'm running the standard version). But I just reinstalled it from the repository and tried to run "sudo youtube-dl -U" and that killed it. So the current youtube-dl from the foundation raspbian repository is broken!
3. You'll find an optional way of using youtube-dl and speeding it up by about 40% in my posting:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38&t=83763
4. Updating youtube-dl as often as possible is definitely required, as the web sites are always changing (and new web sites added).

try running omxplayer -o hdmi moviefile
If that works for you, you can add it on the settings page of kweb. (in up to 4 places: omxoptions, omxaudiooptions, omx_livetv_options. youtube_omxoptions).

Which Raspbian version are you running? Did you perhaps upgrade to Jessie? Some things are really strange on your system. Usually omxplayer discovers the default sound method without any problem.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm

New version 1.5.5 available

If you have an earlier 1.5... version installed, use the update function from the menu page.

See the changelog for details.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

stepi

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:46 pm

gkreidl wrote:
stepi wrote:I've got important news. youtube-dl is no longer on github. That's the very reason why the contents of /usr/bin/youtube-dl are overwritten with "Not Found" upon executing youtube-dl -U. There's no point in patching the old script, since there is no source of an updated script anymore. Can you distribute the updated script within the MBK download, or is this the end of it?
I ran omxplayer --win "0 0 100 100" and it does display a 100x100 video in the upper left corner.
No sound from omxplayer. By contrast, running aplay file.wav inside lxTerminal does play sound.

Edit: Sound also works when I visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0xitdXIs8 with the new Epiphany browser.
1. That's wrong. youtube is on github:
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/
(I'm using the git version myself)
2. youtube-dl -U does work on my system (if I'm running the standard version). But I just reinstalled it from the repository and tried to run "sudo youtube-dl -U" and that killed it. So the current youtube-dl from the foundation raspbian repository is broken!
indeed youtube-dl is on github, but that version isn't the one that apt-get installs from the raspbian repo as of yesterday. That version is self-breaking because it includes an update url that returns "Not Found". That's what I meant when I hastily wrote, "youtube-dl is no longer on github".
3. You'll find an optional way of using youtube-dl and speeding it up by about 40% in my posting:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38&t=83763
4. Updating youtube-dl as often as possible is definitely required, as the web sites are always changing (and new web sites added).
Thanks. I will bookmark your post in MBK and install update-dl via git, as you explain there.
try running omxplayer -o hdmi moviefile
If that works for you, you can add it on the settings page of kweb. (in up to 4 places: omxoptions, omxaudiooptions, omx_livetv_options. youtube_omxoptions).
I just did and this time sound was playing! Video was still off the upper left corner of the gui window.
Which Raspbian version are you running? Did you perhaps upgrade to Jessie? Some things are really strange on your system. Usually omxplayer discovers the default sound method without any problem.

Code: Select all

$ uname -rsv
Linux 3.12.28+ #713 PREEMPT Fri Sep 19 16:43:32 BST 2014
This is the standard NOOBS 1.3.10 version. I think many people will download and use it. It's been on the website for less than 2 weeks now.
RPi B, raspbian NOOBS 1.3.10

gkreidl

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:58 am

I've posted a bug report about the youtube-dl problem with two possible workarounds:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 80#p619880

MMK 1.5 has had a long beta testing time of about 3 months and 9 different versions before it got published. None of my beta testers ever reported a problem with the video not fitting into the window in omxplayerGUI. There are only two possible sources:
1) omxplayer's --win option doesn't work correctly, but you already tested that.
2) The window position delivered by the Tkinter GUI interface is wrong. But that should be a problem for lots of applications. What happens if you resize the window, after the video hast started playing? (use the Lines: menu or ALT+1, ALT+2 etc. from the keyboard)

I've never used NOOBS, always a standard Raspbian, which is upgraded to the latest version. I've always been convinced, that it only complicates things, except perhaps for the first install on a Windows computer. Could you send me your Raspbian (not NOOBS!) config.txt file via PM?

gkreidl

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 am

Version 1.5.5.1 released

After I ran an rpi-update today I discovered that files in /tmp seem to be deleted by default now in shutdown or when starting. This kept omxplayerGUI from working correctly if started before omxplayer has been used at least once. This is fixed with the current update. Use the udpdate program function from the menu page.

Mikumiku747

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm

This is a really cool browser/desktop system, great work on it. I was wondering, if I use your command api to launch advancemame, will it allow mame to go fullscreen? I've been looking for a nice menu system for my arcade software, and this looks to work well. Also, is there a way I can open the browser at the last page that was viewed before it was closed, similar to the way midori and epiphany do?

Great work, this program is amazing. :D
Thanks,
Mikumiku747 :)

Have a look at my portable pi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59903&p=447601#p447601

gkreidl

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Yes, you can create a web page with links like that:
<a href="file:///homepage.html?cmd=/usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/mame4all_pi/Full/mame%20pbactio2">Pinball</a>
(also as buttons, images etc. if you like)
Add "/usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/mame4all_pi/Full/mame" to the list of direct_commands to avoid a terminal popping up to run mame.

No to the second question; kweb doesn't save anything to disk or to a database (for speed reasons), except for the caching system built into the webkit engine.

stepi

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:27 am

gkreidl wrote:... the video not fitting into the window in omxplayerGUI. There are only two possible sources:
1) omxplayer's --win option doesn't work correctly, but you already tested that.
2) The window position delivered by the Tkinter GUI interface is wrong. But that should be a problem for lots of applications. What happens if you resize the window, after the video hast started playing? (use the Lines: menu or ALT+1, ALT+2 etc. from the keyboard)...

Could you send me your Raspbian (not NOOBS!) config.txt file via PM?
I have upgraded to 1.5.5.1.
After I resize the window after the video has started playing the video is still off to the NW corner. Depending on the new gui size the video layer may also expand/shrink and consequently move, but it's essentially offset. Specifically while stepping from Alt+3 to Alt+4 expanded the gui to the SE but not the video, so I was able to notice that just in this case the video layer did not move at all.
Audio is still inaudible through omxplayer.
I will PM you my config.sys in a couple of minutes.
I also need to report that when I click the omxplayerGUI shortcut in the Sound&Video system menu nothing happens. If I open a terminal window and type omxplayergui.py then the gui program starts. The Sound&Video entry is configured like this (pristine as MBK installed it):

General
  Name: omxplayerGUI
  Command: omxplayergui.py %u
  Tooltip: GUI frontend for omxplayer
  Runs in terminal emulator: disabled
Advanced
  Use startup-up notification: enabled

gkreidl

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm

@stepi:

I found the following in your config:
framebuffer_width=1440
framebuffer_height=900

Your Monitor has 1920 by 1080 resolution, but you have set a different frame buffer size (and a wrong aspect ratio as well). The GPU will rescale the image, but it seems there are bugs when tk (Tkinter) calculates the window position. Try with both framebuffer lines commented out. The video position problem should be gone then.

Then there's the part a the end
# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
overscan_left=24
overscan_right=24
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=16
disable_overscan=0

I really don't understand why all this is needed (looks like crap to me). Why don't you simply let the CEC at boot time get all the information it needs? Your sound problems may also be related to this. I'd try to boot without all this stuff.

I've no idea at the moment, why omxplayerGUI cannot be started from the application menu in your configuration.

stepi

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:43 pm

gkreidl wrote:@stepi:

I found the following in your config:
framebuffer_width=1440
framebuffer_height=900
That's right. I can't see well, so I need to blow up everything in my monitor, both in the text console and in the X graphical interface. I don't know how to set everything larger in other ways than by setting the framebuffer dimensions. If you know of other ways, please let me know, my eyes really need a larger picture.
That said, I did follow your instructions and commented out everything in my config.sys. That helped though not on all fronts. Please read below.
Your Monitor has 1920 by 1080 resolution, but you have set a different frame buffer size (and a wrong aspect ratio as well). The GPU will rescale the image, but it seems there are bugs when tk (Tkinter) calculates the window position. Try with both framebuffer lines commented out. The video position problem should be gone then.
Indeed it's gone when I comment out all lines. My monitor best native mode is 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). When that's selected omxplayerGUI positions the video layer correctly. Hurray! For fun I also tried selecting video mode CEA 16, which tvservice -s describes as HDMI CEA (16) RGB lim 16:9 1920x1080 @60Hz, progressive. In that mode omxplayerGUI fails to position the video layer correctly.
So it seems I need to let the monitor take 1920x1200 @60Hz 16:10 for omxplayerGUI to work correctly.
Moreover, I do need to add hdmi_drive=2 to config.txt otherwise tvservice -s reports the interface being in DVI mode instead of HDMI. DVI mode has no sound by definition.
Unfortunately, even with these changes, these is no sound out of omxplayer.
But we've made a lot of progress. Thanks for you help and patience!
Then there's the part a the end
# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
overscan_left=24
overscan_right=24
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=16
disable_overscan=0

I really don't understand why all this is needed (looks like crap to me). Why don't you simply let the CEC at boot time get all the information it needs? Your sound problems may also be related to this. I'd try to boot without all this stuff.
See comments above.
I've no idea at the moment, why omxplayerGUI cannot be started from the application menu in your configuration.
And this is the icing on the cake; with most lines deleted from config.txt the application shortcut now works! Go figure.

gkreidl

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:06 pm

My eyes are not the best anymore also. But I use other means to view more. You can use the Appearance application and the Openbox configuration tool to set font sizes to larger values; this will apply to lots of programs (larger menus, toolbars and so on). In many programs you can also set the font sizes (I use it in my favorite editor, gedit, and Idle, for example). You can also use a larger console font (with xset, if I remember correctly).

Another solution might be to really select another resolution supported by your monitor. Run
tvservice -m DMT
to get a list of supported resolutions. Set the mode of your choice in config.txt.
Then the frame buffer size and the screen are will match.

stepi

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:28 pm

gkreidl wrote: Another solution might be to really select another resolution supported by your monitor. Run
tvservice -m DMT
to get a list of supported resolutions. Set the mode of your choice in config.txt.
Then the frame buffer size and the screen are will match.
So I did, thank you for your suggestion. I tested all 16:10 resolutions that my monitor supports. Every time I also tested if omxplayerGUI positioned the video layer correctly, and it did. So this could be a general finding; omxplayerGUI needs the monitor resolution to match the monitor aspect ratio. My monitor is 26" so its aspect ratio is 16:10. It does support 16:9 resolutions, like 1920x1080, but in that case omxplayerGUI offsets the video layer. Maybe this information could be added to the MKB documentation.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:27 am

Hello,
I'm running MKB/kweb on a very small black & white screen (288 lines tall) and it's very nearly usable at that size. I have some ideas for how I can make my embedded application better to read. Any insights would be great.

How do you start MKB/kweb in full screen, instead of Alt+W every time.

How do you set the User Agent setting on MKB so that websites serve mobile content for smaller screens. e.g. m.reddit.com instead of reddit.com

How to hide (or minimise) the interface buttons/icons (Open, Home, Back, etc)

Thanks, it's a really useful piece of software.

gkreidl

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 am

1030 wrote:Hello,
I'm running MKB/kweb on a very small black & white screen (288 lines tall) and it's very nearly usable at that size. I have some ideas for how I can make my embedded application better to read. Any insights would be great.
Using the Icon only mode ("I") will make the toolbar smaller
1030 wrote:How do you start MKB/kweb in full screen, instead of Alt+W every time.
How to hide (or minimise) the interface buttons/icons (Open, Home, Back, etc)
You could include an "invisible command" into your start page (your homepage). A very small iframe that executes the keyboard command "f".
For an embedded application you should consider kiosk mode (no interface at all). You would have to use keyboard commands then. But you can also add keyboard commands as links or buttons into your start page, for example.
1030 wrote:How do you set the User Agent setting on MKB so that websites serve mobile content for smaller screens. e.g. m.reddit.com instead of reddit.com
Not possible (yet).

snowmis

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you for providing such a great resource.

How does one log or debug activity from kweb3? I am having trouble loading some of my own web pages that utilize iframes and want to solve the problem myself.

Thanks,

Bryan

gkreidl

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 am

snowmis wrote:Thank you for providing such a great resource.

How does one log or debug activity from kweb3? I am having trouble loading some of my own web pages that utilize iframes and want to solve the problem myself.

Thanks,

Bryan
I'm sorry but this is beyond the scope of kweb(3). It's design philosophy has always been to keep it as small and need as few resources as possible. A debugging tool for web design (as in Opera or Mozilla) would require more code than the whole browser needs now.

gkreidl

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

New version 1.5.6 available!

Yesterday I got my first B+ and you may imagine my shock when after installing a fresh Raspbian image and my Minimal Kiosk Browser I discovered that kweb wasn't working any more (kweb3 was working OK and also omxplayerGUI). The Foundation has not only removed Midori from the newest Raspbian (and presumably NOOBs) images, but also a lot of packages that had been part of the distribution for more than two years and that are used by kweb. So I decided to publish the new version 1.5.6 immediately which I was preparing anyway.

There are only small changes, but now kweb is installed as a debian package. The new installation method also fixes missing dependencies on freshly installed Raspbian or NOOBs images. It check's if either kweb or Midori are installed on your system and if it doesn't find any one of them it will install a number of packages via apt-get first. Install the new version with:
./debinstall
(Don't call this with sudo!) This will also call a kwebprepare script afterwards, which is installed in /usr/local/bin.
The old installation scripts are still there, because they are needed for the automatic upgrade function, but they also use dpkg now.
Note that the .deb package file does not include all dependencies, but at least the most important ones. Nevertheless it should work out of the box on a standard Raspbian distribution if you use the new install script. If you've stripped down your distribution it might not work any more (but it has always been that way).
To remove the package use "./remove" or "./removeall" (if you want to delete all settings and data files). Both use "dpkg -r" now.
The source code is available in a separate download now. There's now only one Makefile any more that creates both keb and kweb3. But the binaries are already included. Install from the souce distribution with:
sudo make install
To fix missing dependencies on a fresh Raspbian image, run
./installdeps

Known problem: If you are using a framebuffer size that doesn't match your physical screen size, omxplayerGUI will not work correctly. I can't change that.

Other small changes:
kweb, kweb3 and omxplayerGUI appear now in the Debian menu system (important if you use other Desktops like Awesome or run Openbox as desktop).
omxplayerGUI now supports song titles in m3u playlist files (if they use EXTM3U format).

Edit: I forgot to mention: Users of previous 1.5x versions can update from the browser's menu page, of course.
Last edited by gkreidl on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sportsnapper

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Looking forward to trying this later. I use kweb for viewing stations when selling photos (1.3! - not broken and really fast). One of my model B's failed on Friday, and I quickly rebuilt a B+ I had to use Kweb. 1.3 didn't work, and last weeks release (1.5.x) seemed to - but it would work for 5 mins and then hang.

I'm hoping that this newer version is still small and fast.

gkreidl

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

sportsnapper wrote:Looking forward to trying this later. I use kweb for viewing stations when selling photos (1.3! - not broken and really fast). One of my model B's failed on Friday, and I quickly rebuilt a B+ I had to use Kweb. 1.3 didn't work, and last weeks release (1.5.x) seemed to - but it would work for 5 mins and then hang.

I'm hoping that this newer version is still small and fast.
There are now two versions installed: kweb - using the old webkit1 engine - and kweb3 - using the new accelerated webkit3 engine (same as epiphany). kweb is definitely more reliable as the new engine is still rather buggy. But on a new Raspbian image the webkit1 libs were missing and that should be fixed now with the new installation method. I think you'll prefer kweb for your application.

gkreidl

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:30 am

I just discovered a small bug in the installation of kweb-1.5.6: the file kweb_about_c.html is not created in your home directory. This will only affect users with a complete new installation of kweb. I'll fix that in the next update, but for the moment there are lots of ways to fix that:

1) from the installation folder run
./prepare

2) From inside the browser:
On menu page click "Refresh Configuration Page" (command button must be enabled!)

Ivan Tham

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 am

Will kweb support installation from apt-get install in the future?

gkreidl

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:11 am

Ivan Tham wrote:Will kweb support installation from apt-get install in the future?
No. That would require hosting it in a repository. Debian upstream isn't possible because it's Raspbian specific. I don't plan to create my own repository (which could be added to sources.list). And the current .deb package is a bit of a cheat (created with checkinstall). I would have to set up a real debian distribution package first.

Ivan Tham

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:08 am

Why kweb_about_c.html is put in ~/ rather that ~/.config/. Most of the configuration files of the application is put in ~/.config/.
How to remove the kweb if the folder kweb is deleted?

gkreidl

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 am

Ivan Tham wrote:Why kweb_about_c.html is put in ~/ rather that ~/.config/. Most of the configuration files of the application is put in ~/.config/.
How to remove the kweb if the folder kweb is deleted?
1) I didn't want to hide it (like kweb.conf). But these are rather deliberate decisions ...

2) kweb can now be uninstalled with
dpkg -r kweb
(but this will leave some configuration files on the RPi, not much though, a few KB at most)

mrKrecik

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Hello,

I have one issue with kweb and omxplayer.

I'm playing slideshow with photos, after that I use jquery to play video:

<script type="text/javascript">
      setTimeout( function()
      {
        $( 'body' ).append( '<iframe style="visibility: hidden; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; src="/home/pi/12.avi"></iframe>' );
      }, 5000 );
    </script>
Unfortunatelly there is a moment when console window is opening before video and right after the end. Is there any way to hide this window?

Update:
Another question - is there any way to catch a moment after the end of video (couse I want to resume my image slideshow).

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”