gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 am

mickae1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 pm
Hi is it possible to use this browser in kiosk mode? I guess that the answer is yes.

But is it safe? I don't want the user to be able to access my system when its in kiosk mode.
I just want my user to be able to browse my web page that all.

How to hide all button, address bar?

Is it possible to show a virtual keyboard?

Micka,
Xes, and in a safer way than with any other browser. There are special options to run in kiosk mode, prevent opening a second window (even if required by the user, a link or Javascript) and to reduce the number of keyboard shortcuts. A typical kiosk browser command may look like this:
kweb -KAHRJEh url

It's your responsibility to disable global keyboard shortcuts which could be used to leave the browser.

No, there is no virtual keyboard.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

nlc

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Dear gkreidl,

I find a small issue in my application :lol:
If the user push the mouse button on an element (text, image, etc...), he can move it :lol:
That's really funny because a worked a lot on the interface and I never tested that :mrgreen:
Do you know if there is a way to disable drag and drop ?

Regards,
Cyril

gkreidl

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am

nlc wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 pm
Dear gkreidl,

I find a small issue in my application :lol:
If the user push the mouse button on an element (text, image, etc...), he can move it :lol:
That's really funny because a worked a lot on the interface and I never tested that :mrgreen:
Do you know if there is a way to disable drag and drop ?

Regards,
Cyril
No, there's no configuration option for the webkitgtk widget to disable drag and drop.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

nlc

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 am

Ok thank you, maybe there is a way in javascript, I will take a look

nlc

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am

Just for information if other users can be interested, adding ondragstart="return false;" in the body tag do the job :D

Code: Select all

<body onload="pageInit();" ondragstart="return false;">

gkreidl

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 am

nlc wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am
Just for information if other users can be interested, adding ondragstart="return false;" in the body tag do the job :D

Code: Select all

<body onload="pageInit();" ondragstart="return false;">
Thanks for publishing this useful information.

Cybrnitro

Best kiosk for my scenario

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 am

Ok so I have read the multiple modes of this browser and I’m going to give it a try. But not sure which option suites me best.

I have a web based program that I am currently loading with chromium kiosk and it’s under http://localhost:5000 its called CraftBeerPi.com

It’s all fine and dandy but I want something that’s loads stupid fast and to the point so it loads straight to CraftBeerPi page. All I need is it and command line. I don’t want it to blink in and out a bunch. Don’t need the stupid desktop. Just need it to load and work with a touch screen with no latency

Thanks a bunch

I’m currently running full raspian stretch.

Cybrnitro

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Ok so I have read the multiple modes of this browser and I’m going to give it a try. But not sure which option suites me best.

I have a web based program that I am currently loading with chromium kiosk and it’s under http://localhost:5000 its called CraftBeerPi.com

It’s all fine and dandy but I want something that’s loads stupid fast and to the point so it loads straight to CraftBeerPi page. All I need is it and command line. I don’t want it to blink in and out a bunch. Don’t need the stupid desktop. Just need it to load and work with a touch screen with no latency

Thanks a bunch

Tichun

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Are there any plans to switch over to WebKit Pure Embedded (WPE) from WebKitGTK+?
I haven't tried it yet, as there seem only to be sd card images' blueprints specifically for it, but Kweb seems like a good fit for it (along with suckless surf) as it bases around the pi and runs on raspbian.
If you haven't heard about it, this port is made especially for IoT devices low on memory with comparably capable GPUs, for it accelerates webgl and even the video playback (the latter I think is not present even on desktop linux, in any browser).
I still don't expect it to be faster than chromium for the javascript part, but it's promising.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 am

Tichun wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:23 pm
Are there any plans to switch over to WebKit Pure Embedded (WPE) from WebKitGTK+?
No, I will stick with GTK+.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:17 am

Cybrnitro wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks a bunch

All standard browsers require at least X-ORG and usually also a window manager.

rdavid89

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi,

how can i use kweb in kios mode whit xinit in special resolution: 1440 x 900?

David

rdavid89

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi!

How can I use Kweb with xinit kiosk mode with special resolution: 1440 x 900 ?

David

gkreidl

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am

rdavid89 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 pm
Hi!

How can I use Kweb with xinit kiosk mode with special resolution: 1440 x 900 ?

David
kweb will adapt to any screen size but this requires a window manager (openbox, for example).

nlc

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Dear gkreidl,
In my application, I use kweb-1.7.9, and after some days, the raspberry becomes slower and slower.
I checked with 'top' command, the CPU was fine, but the memory was full and the raspberry was working on swap.
It seems the problem comes from kweb, he used 87.3% of the memory.
Maybe the 1.7.9 version is not the last version, but do you know if a memory leak was detected in this version and corrected in a next release ?

Best regards
Cyril

gkreidl

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 pm

nlc wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 pm
Dear gkreidl,
In my application, I use kweb-1.7.9, and after some days, the raspberry becomes slower and slower.
I checked with 'top' command, the CPU was fine, but the memory was full and the raspberry was working on swap.
It seems the problem comes from kweb, he used 87.3% of the memory.
Maybe the 1.7.9 version is not the last version, but do you know if a memory leak was detected in this version and corrected in a next release ?

Best regards
Cyril
I don't believe in any memory leak - and if there's one I cannot fix it because it's in the webkit engine.
All browsing engines use lots of memory, depending on the web content and on the sites visited (caches building up).
In kweb you can use different memory models, using less or no cache at all ( D and U options).

kortak

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 am

Hello,

It seems that the installation is broken as some files are missing on one server:

Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf at-spi2-core armhf 2.22.0-6
404 Not Found [IP : 93.93.128.193 80]
Fetched 0 B in 0s (0 B/s)
Erreur lors de l'installation : « Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP : 93.93.128.193 80]

Best regards.

nlc

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am

gkreidl wrote:
I don't believe in any memory leak - and if there's one I cannot fix it because it's in the webkit engine.
All browsing engines use lots of memory, depending on the web content and on the sites visited (caches building up).
In kweb you can use different memory models, using less or no cache at all ( D and U options).
In my application, the browser loads a page at startup and stay indefinitely on this page. I have a javascript script which do an ajax call every second to a server to know which dynamic content to display.
Thus IMO it can't be a cache problem, I only see a memory leak problem, I will investigate more !

Regards

gkreidl

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm

kortak wrote:
Hello,

It seems that the installation is broken as some files are missing on one server:

Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf at-spi2-core armhf 2.22.0-6
Erreur lors de l'installation : « Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP : 93.93.128.193 80]

Best regards.
Did you run apt-get update before installing?
at-spi2-core is available on Raspbian Stretch: http://archive.raspbian.net/raspbian/po ... _armhf.deb

gkreidl

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm

nlc wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am
gkreidl wrote:
In my application, the browser loads a page at startup and stay indefinitely on this page. I have a javascript script which do an ajax call every second to a server to know which dynamic content to display.
Thus IMO it can't be a cache problem, I only see a memory leak problem, I will investigate more !

Regards
I suppose your AJAX calls are responsible for cache growth.

kortak

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:32 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm
kortak wrote:
Hello,

Best regards.
Did you run apt-get update before installing?
at-spi2-core is available on Raspbian Stretch: http://archive.raspbian.net/raspbian/po ... _armhf.deb
You were right, I did not update before installing. So now it is installing properly.

Thank you,
Best regards.

Return to “Raspbian”