PuppetHoundZ

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser)

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 pm

I still find Kweb Suite to be the best set of multi-media applications availible on Raspberry Pi. Keep in mind that Google Chromium Browser is way better for typical browsing now but for media your browser is the go to! Also Raspberry Pi Pixel integration of VNC allows for a great means to remote control the whole suite with with a iPhone while being viewed on a living room.

Just a suggestion.

I see you mention VLC player on suggestioned installs for use with Minimal Kiosk Browser. I find that counter intuitive. Why not suggest Audacious Player for music playing, because OMXPlayerGUI works great for video and audio for all around use already. I find VLC player messy with regard to music player performance. It ruins your album art for your mp3 files and the video acceleration is totally useless. That's just my two cents. I tried it out based on your apps suggestions and I found the app totally useless and instead went with Audacious.

gkreidl

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:56 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:I still find Kweb Suite to be the best set of multi-media applications availible on Raspberry Pi. Keep in mind that Google Chromium Browser is way better for typical browsing now but for media your browser is the go to! Also Raspberry Pi Pixel integration of VNC allows for a great means to remote control the whole suite with with a iPhone while being viewed on a living room.

Just a suggestion.

I see you mention VLC player on suggestioned installs for use with Minimal Kiosk Browser. I find that counter intuitive. Why not suggest Audacious Player for music playing, because OMXPlayerGUI works great for video and audio for all around use already. I find VLC player messy with regard to music player performance. It ruins your album art for your mp3 files and the video acceleration is totally useless. That's just my two cents. I tried it out based on your apps suggestions and I found the app totally useless and instead went with Audacious.
I don't completely agree about VLC itself, but supporting it from the kweb suite (audio and audio playlists only) is a relict from an early stage of development. The only reason it is still supported is compatibility with old presets created by users. I tried to never break this compatibility.

Otherwise you are completely right. Firefox and chromium are much better for "normal browsing" now, with a faster processor and more memory. And with a few simple steps you can add kweb's web media support (using omxplayerGUI) to both browsers now.
For the last 18 months I have concentrated development on the things that make kweb unique and besides using it for digital signage, kiosks and frontend for embedded applications it is a great frontend for media servers (and the kweb suite now includes a simple media server as well).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:38 am

had some website security warning on chromium but kweb3 didn't, how come?

gkreidl

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 pm

cjan wrote:had some website security warning on chromium but kweb3 didn't, how come?
Because that is the default setting of the webkitgtk engines and I'm quite happy with it. I use self-signed certificates for a number of projects and I really hate the way Firefox tries to keep me from using them.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

treeHouse

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before:

I want to update Kweb from 1.7.4 to 1.7.5.
Do I just install from scratch, or is there a "update" option?

And If I reinstall from scratch, do I need to remove the old version first?

Thanks for the kweb suite!

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:17 pm

treeHouse wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before:

I want to update Kweb from 1.7.4 to 1.7.5.
Do I just install from scratch, or is there a "update" option?

And If I reinstall from scratch, do I need to remove the old version first?

Thanks for the kweb suite!
Bottom of screen ""Check for Program Update"" that will undertake an update of kweb
Retired disgracefully.....

treeHouse

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Thank you fruitoftheloom. Hidden in plain sight!

cralibrary

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Looking to use kweb suite, but with a twist - hide only URL entry field instead of entire toolbar + URL entry field. Want users to interact with one website (back, forward, etc) but not be able to enter another URL or type at all in entry field. Is this possible? Basically kiosk mode, but allow user to navigate around.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:53 pm

cralibrary wrote:Looking to use kweb suite, but with a twist - hide only URL entry field instead of entire toolbar + URL entry field. Want users to interact with one website (back, forward, etc) but not be able to enter another URL or type at all in entry field. Is this possible? Basically kiosk mode, but allow user to navigate around.
Yes, in different ways (using normal kiosk mode without the toolbar):
1) Using the right click menu, which contains back and forward commands.
2) Using keyboard shortcuts
3) Using a navigation bar inside the HTML page: all keyboard shortcuts can be used with special links, buttons or icons.

cralibrary

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:46 am

gkreidl wrote:
cralibrary wrote:Looking to use kweb suite, but with a twist - hide only URL entry field instead of entire toolbar + URL entry field. Want users to interact with one website (back, forward, etc) but not be able to enter another URL or type at all in entry field. Is this possible? Basically kiosk mode, but allow user to navigate around.
Yes, in different ways (using normal kiosk mode without the toolbar):
1) Using the right click menu, which contains back and forward commands.
2) Using keyboard shortcuts
3) Using a navigation bar inside the HTML page: all keyboard shortcuts can be used with special links, buttons or icons.
Thanks gkreidl, I knew about right-click and keyboard shortcuts but this kiosk is open to the public, so varying levels of computer skills. I can't add or change anything to the site itself unfortunately, but that would be a great solution if I could.

gkreidl

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 am

cralibrary wrote: Thanks gkreidl, I knew about right-click and keyboard shortcuts but this kiosk is open to the public, so varying levels of computer skills. I can't add or change anything to the site itself unfortunately, but that would be a great solution if I could.
Create a HTML file with a small tool bar and display the web pages inside an iframe.

cralibrary

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I can try that, thanks!

cjan

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:44 am

@gkreidl
can you share omxplayer-GUI along with .deb ?

gkreidl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 am

cjan wrote:@gkreidl
can you share omxplayer-GUI along with .deb ?
Do you mean a standalone .deb package of omxplayerGUI?
The answer is "no". omxplayerGUI needs too many parts of the kweb system, including kweb itself to edit it's settings.

korn2008

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:34 am

Where can I find the option to setup which youtube quality I'd like to stream? (720p or 1080P or SD)
Thx in advance.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 am

korn2008 wrote:Where can I find the option to setup which youtube quality I'd like to stream? (720p or 1080P or SD)
Thx in advance.
On the settings page, almost at the bottom, you'll find a text field named "youtube_dl_options". By default it is set to

Code: Select all

-f
best
This gives the best quality which is sent in one stream. On youtube, this is 720p. Higher resolutions (on youtube) are sent as two streams (video and audio separately) and this cannot be handled by omxplayer(GUI). It would require muxing both streams on the fly.
You should only change this, if you really know, what you are doing. For more information about -f options, see https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/ ... -selection
1080p video on youtube will also be sent as webm using VP9 codec, which is not supported on the RPi.

pumpkinpi

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Is there a way I can edit the Right Click Pop-Up menu so that there is always a book mark there to a fixed web page? I am using this in kiosk mode without keyboard, iframes or program header so I have no way to navigate back to my home page. Right click works however and I would love to just pop a bookmark into that context menu.

Thanks,
PPi

gkreidl

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:26 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Is there a way I can edit the Right Click Pop-Up menu so that there is always a book mark there to a fixed web page? I am using this in kiosk mode without keyboard, iframes or program header so I have no way to navigate back to my home page. Right click works however and I would love to just pop a bookmark into that context menu.

Thanks,
PPi
No, not without adding a new event callback and a function to populate the menu and another one to execute the home command. You have to find another solution.

pumpkinpi

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 pm

I found a way to do it with iframes.

PPi

cjan

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:04 am

does omxplayer can play xvid codec .avi files?
raspbian had libxvidcore4 installed but no go.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:11 am

cjan wrote:does omxplayer can play xvid codec .avi files?
Why don't you just try it? My old xvid avi files play fine.

cjan

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:11 am

gkreidl wrote:
said no go, mean tried.
it asked xvid codec install.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:31 am

cjan wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
said no go, mean tried.
I have never seen omxplayer asking for codec installation.
What does

vcgencmd codec_enabled H263
report?

cjan

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:42 am

gkreidl wrote:
cjan wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Why don't you just try it? My old xvid avi files play fine.
said no go, mean tried.
I have never seen omxplayer asking for codec installation.
What does

vcgencmd codec_enabled H263
report?
H263=enabled

gkreidl

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:03 am

cjan wrote: H263=enabled
Then it should work for most DIVX/XVID encoded video files- What does omxplayer report when you run it with
omxplayer -i /path/to/movie.avi

Return to “Raspbian”