fusion1275

Rasbian+XBMC No vid no sound??

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post and have only plugged in my Pi 2 days ago so still getting to grips with it.

So I have booted up Raspbian. All runs nice as expected. Then I wanted XBMC to be installed so I just execute on the cmd line and up she pops!

This is the file I installed in Raspbian - xbmc-20120917_1rpb-1_armhf.deb

All installed without problems and the front-end starts with the familiar blue gui. When I try to load any of my movies from the usb hdd I get a black screen. When I click on the black screen then the control buttons appear and the file is playing but nothing is showing on the screen along with no sound.

I have a handful of different video files with different extensions - avi, mkv, m4v, mpg and still all are the same. Black screen and no sound but says its playing.

I downloaded an add-on in the videos menu and tried to play a video from Engadget. Same as above.

So I am thinking maybe a codec issue? I have scoured the internet for clues but cant seem to put my finger on the same issue.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be very much appreciated.

bobybx

Re: Rasbian+XBMC No vid no sound??

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 am

Same problem for me.

Raspbian installed, with 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.zip => No problem.

I installed XBMC like this :
wget https://github.com/downloads/RB-tomaz/x ... .armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i xbmc-rdp-tomaz.armhf.deb; sudo apt-get -y -f install

All installed without problems and the front-end starts with the familiar blue gui too, but no video and no sound when I start a film, buttons on bottom are available and seem to work.

If someone has an answer, i take it too :)

fr4nck

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi everybody,

I up this post cause I'm in the same case...I tried omxplayer and vlc and it work...I just don't understand. Please we need help :cry:
Student in Network and Telecommunication

bobybx

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm

It seems that Tomaz's version is not compatible with the last Raspbian.
I decided to follow Michael Gorven tutorial, with the pre-built image Raspbian/xbmc. It works for me!
I have now a xmbc with sound and video, and last raspbian! :)

@fr4nck : I saw you're french, go to : http://www.tropfacile.net/doku.php/rasp ... r-raspbian. I posted a comment to explain what I did with a little more detail (search Micheal Gorven in comments).

kevinthefixer

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 am

Could you post a link to the tutorial you used? I have failed entirely to get xbmc to install on my Raspbian RPi. Thanks!

bobybx

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 am

kevinthefixer wrote:Could you post a link to the tutorial you used? I have failed entirely to get xbmc to install on my Raspbian RPi. Thanks!
Go to Michael Gorven's blog : http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc. XBMC works well for me after installing with his package.

kevinthefixer

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Worked! XBMC is more responsive on Raspbian than it is in RaspBMC. I've edited Mr. Gorven's instructions and stolen some of the comments to make an attempt at a howto:

This page describes how to install XBMC on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. You can either install packages on an existing Raspbian installation, or you can download a prebuilt image and flash it to an SD card.
Installing packages on an existing installation
I've published a Debian archive containing packages for XBMC and some dependencies which it requires. This can be setup on an existing Raspbian installation (including the foundation image).
Installing
The easiest way to install the package is to add my archive to your system. To do this, store the following in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mene.list:

deb http://archive.mene.za.net/raspbian wheezy contrib
(you will have to create the file by running sudo pcmanfm)

and import the archive signing key:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 5243CDED

Then update the package lists:

sudo apt-get update

You can then install it as you would with any other package, for example, with apt-get:

sudo apt-get install xbmc

The user which you're going to run XBMC as needs to be a member of the following groups:
audio video input dialout plugdev
If the input group doesn't exist, you need to create it:
addgroup --system input
and setup some udev rules to grant it ownership of input devices (otherwise the keyboard won't work in XBMC), by placing the following in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules:
SUBSYSTEM=="input", GROUP="input", MODE="0660"
(Note: found all this intact)

Make sure you have at least 128 megs associated to the gpu:

sudo raspi-config >Advanced Options>A3: Memory Split

Steps to creating script on Raspbian desktop:
On raspbian desktop:
*right-mouse button -> create new -> blank file
*Open file with leafpad or other text-editing program, write script and save

Script for desktop file:

sudo /usr/bin/xbmc
sudo chvt 1
sudo chvt 7

...and now script automatically does Ctrl+Alt+F1 and Ctrl+Alt+F7 after exiting xbmc. This fixes the blank-screen-on-exit problem.

*Right-click file on desktop -> properties -> permissions -> make the file executable -> ok
*Double-click file on desktop and choose "execute" to execute script

To check that you can use this command line (replace "pi" by your user name) :

id pi

and it should return something like this:
uid=1000(pi) gid=1000(pi) groupes=1000(pi),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),60(games),100(users),105(netdev),999(input)

Running
To run XBMC:
Use desktop file above, or:
run xbmc-standalone from a VT (i.e. not under X). XBMC accesses the display directly and not via Xorg.
If you want XBMC to automatically start when the system boots, edit /etc/default/xbmc and change ENABLED to 1:
ENABLED=1
You also need to set the user which XBMC should run as (the xbmc user is not automatically created at the moment). Run sudo service xbmc start to test this.
Release history
· 12.2-1: Frodo 12.2 release.
· 12.1-1: Frodo 12.1 release. Requires newer libcec (also in my archive).
· 12.0-1: Frodo 12.0 release. This build requires newer firmware than the raspberrypi.org archive or image contains. Either install the packages from the raspberrypi.org untested archive, the twolife archive or use rpi-update. (Not necessary as of 2013/02/11.)
· 12.0~git20130102.7a6cb7f-1: Frodo RC 3.
· 12.0~git20121219.74b907c-1: Frodo RC 2.
· 11.0~git20121114.25bb46a-1: Frodo Beta 1. This includes a database schema upgrade, so make sure to backup your userdata folder before upgrading.
· 11.0~git20121027.99da926-1: Fixes the issue of the last few seconds of video being cut off.
· 11.0~git20121018.ff434fe-1: Upgrading to this version will probably result in the GUI resolution being zoomed as described in this forum post. To fix this edit userdata/guisettings.xml and remove the contents of the <resolutions> element.
· 11.0~git20120804.efef226f-1
· 11.0~git20120728.365953fb-4: Initial release

This page modified 20130623 by Kevin Bowers (kevinthefixer) for ease-of-use from Michael Gorvin: http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc. Most modifications are copied directly from the comments. Most of the system errors found in the same comments were directly attributed to typographical errors; I strongly recommend using copy-and-paste to avoid this.

I hope this helps someone else out. Thanks to all for all the hard work: Good Job!

--Kevin

Return to “Raspbian”