I went back and formatted a card using the SDformatter.exe tool, and used the Win32DiskImager.exe tool to load an image onto the SD card, and this time it worked, and lo and behold, the /boot and /boot/config.txt are PRECISELY where they should be, so berryboot is the responsible party.
Further update: I updated raspian and told the os to go expand to take up all the space on the card, and reboot.Worked fine. BUT, chromium stopped working, reporting 'segmentation error".
So I reformatted, reloaded image, DID NOT update, DID NOT expand image, and it works fine.
Now one or the other is the culprit, not both, and I intend to discover which. Further news shall follow.