BrendonShaw

RPi Stand alone WiFi host

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

I am looking at setup a couple of RPi for demo, for various reasons I cannot connect to the local WiFi network and looking at running one of the RPi as a WiFi host & then connect the other RPi to the host.

Ideally I want to transfer files to and from the host, manly to support some form of datalogger & the display the file contents on the host. At this time I am not sure the format may be web based,

Would this be possible to setup this type of network and any ideas how to setup Raspbian to support the WiFi configuration.

Spid

Re: RPi Stand alone WiFi host

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Search the forum (top right search box) for WiFi Hotspot
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

pipuppy

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Brendon,

Did you ever receive a satisfactory response to your question about your proposed stand-alone wi-fi hot-spot/server application?

The reason I ask is because I want to do exactly the same thing as you described in your posting. In my case the project would take the form of a black-box (plastic) with a power supply, raspberry-pi (headless) and a wi-fi dongle in "master" mode. I wanted something that would show-up in a list of wi-fi connections (for anyone who is in range) and serve-up a "welcome" page by default if they choose to connect. This might be another pi or a laptop.

Any additional pages/files I could pull from the virtual wi-fi server would be icing on the cake. So far I have had little success in finding exactly what I was looking for but someone has responded to one of my posts saying how easy this is to implement and gives an example of a garden sized network they have implemented themselves. Sadly, the response did not include any technical detail but I have asked if they would provide some additional information since the brief description given seems to be exactly what we are both looking for.

Serving web-pages using the berry web-server software proved very easy but it seems (in its current form) it only works as part of a larger network which includes a wi-fi router.

If you made any further progress with the project I would be very interested to hear about it and like-wise, if I find a solution I would be happy to share the details with you.

Best wishes,

pipuppy

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

pipuppy

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Spid,

Just took a look at the link you posted but it appears to be just another example of using the pi as a sort of wireless router for an existing Internet connection. Quoting from the page...

"This project configures your Raspberry Pi to connect to the Internet through ethernet, and share that connection over WiFi."

But the set-up does not appear to support a stand-alone mode (no Internet) and host its own pages.

pipuppy

candem

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm

pipuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 pm
Hi Brendon,

Did you ever receive a satisfactory response to your question about your proposed stand-alone wi-fi hot-spot/server application?

The reason I ask is because I want to do exactly the same thing as you described in your posting. In my case the project would take the form of a black-box (plastic) with a power supply, raspberry-pi (headless) and a wi-fi dongle in "master" mode. I wanted something that would show-up in a list of wi-fi connections (for anyone who is in range) and serve-up a "welcome" page by default if they choose to connect. This might be another pi or a laptop.

Any additional pages/files I could pull from the virtual wi-fi server would be icing on the cake. So far I have had little success in finding exactly what I was looking for but someone has responded to one of my posts saying how easy this is to implement and gives an example of a garden sized network they have implemented themselves. Sadly, the response did not include any technical detail but I have asked if they would provide some additional information since the brief description given seems to be exactly what we are both looking for.

Serving web-pages using the berry web-server software proved very easy but it seems (in its current form) it only works as part of a larger network which includes a wi-fi router.

If you made any further progress with the project I would be very interested to hear about it and like-wise, if I find a solution I would be happy to share the details with you.

Best wishes,

pipuppy
Hi pipuppy,
I,m trying to do somenthing similar to your proyect.
can you help me?
Tia

Return to “Raspbian”