Sir FICO

File Manage not Refreshing.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 pm

My rpi4 with an up-to-date rpi 0S (7 Sept 20) is a client for a NFS drive. Mostly it appears to work OK but the FileManager does not automatically refresh to show the latest. Using the command line 'ls' command all the correct up-to-date files are shown, but the FileManager continues to show old file information, even when closed down and re-opened, until I manually do a File Manager -View-Reload Folder. Then the correct file info is shown.

This File Manager behaviour is even after a long delay period between some other process adding or removing files on the NFS drive. I will note that other computers attached to the same NFS server, like my mac automatically refresh any file changes immediately. Unless I have missed some setting somewhere (quite possibly), I presume this must be a bug. I surely stops the rpi4 being used as a proper desktop replacement.

I anyone has any tips to get File Manager working correctly than please do let me know.
Thanks.

klricks

Re: File Manage not Refreshing.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:21 pm

This is not a RPi or RPiOS issue.
You should contact the pcmanfm maintainer and do a feature request or bug report.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmanfm
Above link found in the File-manager (pcmanfm) Help --> About screen.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Sir FICO

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi klricks

The File Manager I'm looking at does not have a help or about options. Also the PCman screen shot that I can see looks different to what I see. Are we sure that PCman is the one we use on rpi os. The last update to PCman os appears to be at the end of 2018.

rgs

pidd

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Code: Select all

man pcmanfm
Maybe?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Sir FICO wrote:
Hi klricks

The File Manager I'm looking at does not have a help or about options. Also the PCman screen shot that I can see looks different to what I see. Are we sure that PCman is the one we use on rpi os. The last update to PCman os appears to be at the end of 2018.

rgs

Raspberry Pi OS packages are on GitHub:

https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/pcmanfm-buster
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

klricks

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Sir FICO wrote:
Hi klricks

rgs
I forgot that RPiOS defaults to the simplified pcmanfm UI.
To change to standard view: [Edit] --> [Preferences] --> [Layout]
Remove tick from [ ] Display simplified......
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jojopi

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:05 pm

pcmanfm uses the Linux inotify mechanism to be informed when files change on disk. In the case of NFS mounts, this appears to work if the changes are made from the Pi, but not if they are made from another client. I do not know if it could be made to work better, with server support.

The solution is to press F5.

It would be bad for pcmanfm to poll the server continually, just in case something has changed.

Sir FICO

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 pm

jojopi wrote: It would be bad for pcmanfm to poll the server continually, just in case something has changed.
I take the point if File Manager was continually displaying the NFS files, but when the File Manager has been closed and is still showing incorrect file data when its re-opened and then is navigated to the appropriate NFS directory I would think it would act more like linux does with the ls command. And other operating systems like mac os do not exhibit this need to manually refresh.

But as you confirm this is the usual behaviour then I would not think that anything would be changed for this so 'refresh' it will be :cry: Thanks to all for responding.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”