RpiMatt

Ubuntu Desktop on Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian)

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Could I install the Ubuntu Linux 20.04 Desktop on Raspberry Pi OS? I really like the look of Ubuntu Linux. I have lots of system resources to spare, because I have the Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB model overclocked at 2.147 Ghz with a fan and heatsinks, so running out of system resources or throttling is not a problem. Also, how do I find and delete the original PIXEL desktop interface? It will just take up space on the micro SD card.

trejan

Re: Ubuntu Desktop on Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian)

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm

No. Trying to bolt Ubuntu Desktop onto Raspberry Pi OS is going to end in tears as many packages will be different. The closest method would be to install Ubuntu Server then add Desktop but that is an unsupported configuration so YMMV.

B.Goode

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm

RpiMatt wrote:
Also, how do I find and delete the original PIXEL desktop interface?

Just install a copy of the current supported RasPiOS Buster Operating System.

The 'PIXEL desktop' was a short-lived initiative back in 2016. It was based on the Raspbian Jessie release of the underlying Operating System, and that has been twice superceded since that time.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 pm

RpiMatt wrote:
Could I install the Ubuntu Linux 20.04 Desktop on Raspberry Pi OS? I really like the look of Ubuntu Linux. I have lots of system resources to spare, because I have the Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB model overclocked at 2.147 Ghz with a fan and heatsinks, so running out of system resources or throttling is not a problem. Also, how do I find and delete the original PIXEL desktop interface? It will just take up space on the micro SD card.

How you managed to get PIXEL Desktop is a worry as it was obsoleted years ago..

Ubuntu uses a customised Gnome Desktop Environment.

So you choices are:

Raspberry Pi Lite and then install whatever you can find reference Gnome.

Ubuntu Server 20.04 and install the Ubuntu Desktop Environment.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

itsmedoofer

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 am

Hi,

If you install the Cinnamon desktop you can get some themes that will get you close to what ubuntu looks like, it won't be true ubuntu though.

I would probably only recommend Cinnamon when running off an ssd on a Pi4 4Gb, compared to PiOS it uses a few more horses, well worth it though....

bassamanator

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 am

RpiMatt wrote:
I guess you want to install the ubuntu desktopify. Apparently it's very fast. https://github.com/wimpysworld/desktopify
| Raspberry Pi 4-8GB | 2.0GHz | over_voltage@5 |
| Raspberry Pi OS 32bit |
| https://github.com/bassamanator/raspberrypi-scripts |

itsmedoofer

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 am

Good find, I believe Martin Wimpress had a lot to do with the original Ubuntu image for the Pi.

I'll have a play later....

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”