dirdi

apt suggests to remove raspberrypi-sys-mods, rpi-eeprom, rpi-eeprom-images etc?!

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi there, I am running Raspberry PI OS 10.4 (buster) on a remote, headless Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2. After a recent apt upgrade, apt states that the following packages are no longer required:

Code: Select all

# apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  device-tree-compiler flashrom libftdi1-2 libpci3 libraspberrypi-bin libusb-0.1-4 pciutils
  raspberrypi-sys-mods rfkill rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
I checked the description of those packages with apt show <package name> and it seems to me that those are important packages for the stable operation of my RaspPi and should probably not be removed.

I suspect the package manager got somehow mixed up, since I never did a clean reinstall but upgraded from jessie to stretch to buster.

This is my apt sources config:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main ui
deb-src http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main ui
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi
deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi
And these are the installed RaspPi specific packages:

# dpkg -l | grep -i rasp
ii  libraspberrypi-bin                    1.20200601-1                        armhf        Miscellaneous Raspberry Pi utilities
ii  libraspberrypi0                       1.20200601-1                        armhf        EGL/GLES/OpenVG/etc. libraries for the Raspberry Pi's VideoCore IV
ii  python-picamera                       1.13                                armhf        Pure Python interface to the Raspberry Pi's camera module.
ii  python-rpi.gpio                       0.7.0-0.1~bpo10+1                   armhf        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (Python 2)
ii  python3-picamera                      1.13                                armhf        Pure Python interface to the Raspberry Pi's camera module.
ii  raspberrypi-artwork                   20150921                            all          Copy of the Raspberry Pi logo
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20200601-1                        armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20200601-1                        armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-sys-mods                  20200514                            armhf        System tweaks for the Raspberry Pi
ii  raspbian-archive-keyring              20120528.2                          all          GnuPG archive keys of the raspbian archive
ii  raspi-copies-and-fills                0.13                                armhf        ARM-accelerated versions of selected functions from string.h
ii  rpi-eeprom                            7.1-1                               all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
ii  rpi-eeprom-images                     7.1-1                               all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM images
ii  rpi-update                            20200409                            all          Raspberry Pi firmware updating tool
ii  rpi.gpio-common:armhf                 0.7.0-0.1~bpo10+1                   armhf        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (common files)
Here are my questions to you RaspPi wizards:
  • What would be the consequences of removing those packages?
  • Or did I maybe already removed an important RaspPi specific package, that would prevent removal of those packages by depending on them?
  • Would I still get eeprom updates if I remove them?
  • And BTW: Will there even be more eeprom updates for this old RaspPi or did it reach EOL?

While writing this post it comes to my mind that after more than five years of hassle-free operation, maybe it is just time for a clean reinstall :lol: However, I would like to avoid this, since it would necessitate a three hours car ride :(

fruitoftheloom

Re: apt suggests to remove raspberrypi-sys-mods, rpi-eeprom, rpi-eeprom-images etc?!

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:57 pm

dirdi wrote:
Hi there, I am running Raspberry PI OS 10.4 (buster) on a remote, headless Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2. After a recent apt upgrade, apt states that the following packages are no longer required:

# apt upgrade
Building dependency tree       
  device-tree-compiler flashrom libftdi1-2 libpci3 libraspberrypi-bin libusb-0.1-4 pciutils
  raspberrypi-sys-mods rfkill rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
I checked the description of those packages with apt show <package name> and it seems to me that those are important packages for the stable operation of my RaspPi and should probably not be removed.

I suspect the package manager got somehow mixed up, since I never did a clean reinstall but upgraded from jessie to stretch to buster.

This is my apt sources config:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main ui
deb-src http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main ui
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi
deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi
And these are the installed RaspPi specific packages:

# dpkg -l | grep -i rasp
ii  libraspberrypi-bin                    1.20200601-1                        armhf        Miscellaneous Raspberry Pi utilities
ii  libraspberrypi0                       1.20200601-1                        armhf        EGL/GLES/OpenVG/etc. libraries for the Raspberry Pi's VideoCore IV
ii  python-picamera                       1.13                                armhf        Pure Python interface to the Raspberry Pi's camera module.
ii  python-rpi.gpio                       0.7.0-0.1~bpo10+1                   armhf        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (Python 2)
ii  python3-picamera                      1.13                                armhf        Pure Python interface to the Raspberry Pi's camera module.
ii  raspberrypi-artwork                   20150921                            all          Copy of the Raspberry Pi logo
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20200601-1                        armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20200601-1                        armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-sys-mods                  20200514                            armhf        System tweaks for the Raspberry Pi
ii  raspbian-archive-keyring              20120528.2                          all          GnuPG archive keys of the raspbian archive
ii  raspi-copies-and-fills                0.13                                armhf        ARM-accelerated versions of selected functions from string.h
ii  rpi-eeprom                            7.1-1                               all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
ii  rpi-eeprom-images                     7.1-1                               all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM images
ii  rpi-update                            20200409                            all          Raspberry Pi firmware updating tool
ii  rpi.gpio-common:armhf                 0.7.0-0.1~bpo10+1                   armhf        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (common files)
Here are my questions to you RaspPi wizards:
  • What would be the consequences of removing those packages?
  • Or did I maybe already removed an important RaspPi specific package, that would prevent removal of those packages by depending on them?
  • Would I still get eeprom updates if I remove them?
  • And BTW: Will there even be more eeprom updates for this old RaspPi or did it reach EOL?

While writing this post it comes to my mind that after more than five years of hassle-free operation, maybe it is just time for a clean reinstall :lol: However, I would like to avoid this, since it would necessitate a three hours car ride :(

Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian Buster) operating system was only released a year ago, so not five years ago :?

The usual scenario is update / full-upgrade:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

dickon

Re: apt suggests to remove raspberrypi-sys-mods, rpi-eeprom, rpi-eeprom-images etc?!

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:31 pm

apt-mark manual raspberrypi-sys-mods [...]
Somehow you've managed to get those packages pulled in by something that has subsequently been removed, so they've been marked as automatically installed (as a dependency) and can thus be removed themselves as that dependent package has gone. Mark them as manually installed, and the problem will disappear.

hippy

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:42 pm

dirdi wrote:
Would I still get eeprom updates if I remove them?
And BTW: Will there even be more eeprom updates for this old RaspPi or did it reach EOL?

The B+ doesn't have a Boot Eeprom so that aspect is probably irrelevant.

Given your system has become such a mess it's probably better to leave things as they are until you can do a fresh install. Be grateful that you managed five years without having to do that.

dirdi

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian Buster) operating system was only released a year ago, so not five years ago :?
Like I wrote, I upgraded from jessie to stretch to buster and it is definitely more than five years this box is running:

# dumpe2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2 | grep created
dumpe2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
Filesystem created:       Fri Jun 20 07:34:13 2014
fruitoftheloom wrote:
The usual scenario is update / full-upgrade:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
That is exactly what I did.
hippy wrote:The B+ doesn't have a Boot Eeprom so that aspect is probably irrelevant.
I was not aware of this, thanks. In this case I will remove the rpi-eeprom and rpi-eeprom-images packages. I just checked the logs and they were installed only back in march by an apt upgrade, so it should be fine.
hippy wrote:Given your system has become such a mess it's probably better to leave things as they are until you can do a fresh install. Be grateful that you managed five years without having to do that.
Grateful? This system runs only VPN, SAMBA and SSH server daemons. IMHO it should be the norm to run such a simple setup for more than a decade without the need of a reinstall :roll: But yeah, it's like it is :lol:

hippy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:51 am

dirdi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 pm
hippy wrote:Given your system has become such a mess it's probably better to leave things as they are until you can do a fresh install. Be grateful that you managed five years without having to do that.
Grateful? This system runs only VPN, SAMBA and SSH server daemons. IMHO it should be the norm to run such a simple setup for more than a decade without the need of a reinstall :roll: But yeah, it's like it is :lol:
Migrating from Jessie to Stretch and then to Buster carries more risk than doing a fresh install of an OS release then sticking with a release and only updating packages for that release.

One option to save a long drive may be to create a new SD Card locally, get that tested and working, and then just post that to whoever needs it.

dirdi

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 am

hippy wrote:Migrating from Jessie to Stretch and then to Buster carries more risk than doing a fresh install of an OS release then sticking with a release and only updating packages for that release.
Unfortunately, that is true.
hippy wrote:One option to save a long drive may be to create a new SD Card locally, get that tested and working, and then just post that to whoever needs it.
That is a great idea, thank you. I will install an USB microSD card reader with a "spare" microSD card on the remote side. This way I can dd a new image to the remote spare card and it will be sufficient to swap both cards, to install a new release.

Gooseman

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm

I have a clean (no upgrade) install of Buster on multiple Pi's since a couple of months and now I get this strange note from apt:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  rpi-eeprom-images
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be upgraded:
  rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Same behaviour on all.. what is the correct way of handling this?
RPi Zero W 1.1
RPi 2B 1.1
RPi 3B 1.2/1.3

trejan

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Gooseman wrote:
I have a clean (no upgrade) install of Buster on multiple Pi's since a couple of months and now I get this strange note from apt:

rpi-eeprom-images
RPi Zero W 1.1
RPi 2B 1.1
RPi 3B 1.2/1.3
This is unrelated to the problem in this thread. How the firmware updates is packaged was changed in the last day or so. They're no longer inside rpi-eeprom-images but are now part of rpi-eeprom instead.

hippy

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Gooseman wrote:
I get this strange note from apt:
I had noted that - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=276180
Gooseman wrote:
RPi Zero W 1.1
RPi 2B 1.1
RPi 3B 1.2/1.3
Correct way to handle it is to just accept it, ignore it.

The Boot Eeprom only exists on the Pi 4B so is entirely irrelevant to any other Pi. I'm not sure why you even have that on any non-4B systems but perhaps it has become a part of the standard install. That would make sense to better facilitate moving any up-to-date card into a Pi 4B.
Last edited by hippy on Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirdi

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:00 pm

@Gooseman: I suspect you experience the very same strange behavior I experienced, too. The mentioned packages were installed back in March when I did a normal apt upgrade, possibly caused by a missconfigured other package that added them wrongly as a dependency. Like @hippy already wrote, it seems to be safe to remove those packages on RaspPis < v4.
At least I did not experience any issues after I removed them: the Pi booted without a flaw and the logs are clean.

PeterO

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Gooseman wrote:

rpi-eeprom-images
RPi Zero W 1.1
RPi 2B 1.1
RPi 3B 1.2/1.3
Messages about packages that can be "autoremoved" come up all the time. I can only assume you've not been paying attention !

The solution is to follow the instructions and run "sudo apt autoremove". To do anything else implies you don't trust the package management in which case you should pack your PI away and never use it again otherwise you're going to be spending all your time manually checking every change that the package management makes to your system.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt full-upgrade
Building dependency tree       
  libmicrodns0 libva-wayland2 rpi-eeprom-images
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt autoremove
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libmicrodns0 libva-wayland2 rpi-eeprom-images
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 88.1 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 192882 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libmicrodns0:armhf (0.0.10-1) ...
Removing libva-wayland2:armhf (2.4.0-1) ...
Removing rpi-eeprom-images (7.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10+rpi1) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $  

System still works, and reboots and it's a Pi4B4.... :roll:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:13 pm

rpi-eeprom-images was merged into rpi-eeprom, so rpi-eeprom-images is safe to remove.

Gooseman

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:33 am

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!
@PeterO: I am fully aware of apt and autoremove since I got my first RPi 1. What was new to me is that apt suggested to autoremove a package and in the *same* process recommends upgrading said package.

dirdi

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Gooseman wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:33 am
@PeterO: I am fully aware of apt and autoremove since I got my first RPi 1. What was new to me is that apt suggested to autoremove a package and in the *same* process recommends upgrading said package.
I think you should not pay too much attention to @PeterO. Of course his advice to blindly trust the package manager is bad. If this was a good idea, you could just run "apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" to avoid the package manager asking you any questions at all. A seasoned op will always check recommendations and double check warnings, though. That is what those are implemented for.

PeterO

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm

dirdi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm
I think you should not pay too much attention to @PeterO. Of course his advice to blindly trust the package manager is bad. If this was a good idea, you could just run "apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" to avoid the package manager asking you any questions at all. A seasoned op will always check recommendations and double check warnings, though. That is what those are implemented for.
So someone with 5 posts thinks I should be ignored. :roll: If you actually understood the target audience you wouldn't make such silly statements....
The advice is to always keep your machine up to date. Look at any problem solving thread and the first piece of advice will be to run "apt update and full-upgrade". Where did I suggest "apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" :?:
Do you manually check every change that the package manager makes ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

dickon

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm

PeterO wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm
Do you manually check every change that the package manager makes ?
I do, or at least I run my eye over what it wants to install and remove. A habit gained some years ago, when the occasional upgrade decided that as you'd changed something over $here, you clearly didn't need X or any of its dependencies, so would happily offer to uninstall the lot. I got bitten by it once. That was enough.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”