aoakley

Raspberry Pi OS trademark?

Thu May 28, 2020 1:27 pm

I note that Raspbian has now been renamed Raspberry Pi OS.

I seem to recall that other non-Raspberry-Pi single-board computers claim to use Raspbian (I have never tried).

Does the use of the trademarked phrase "Raspberry Pi" within the new OS name, make it more difficult, from a legal standpoint, for those SBCs to make advertising claims towards compatibility or use of the OS?
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

aoakley

Re: Raspberry Pi OS trademark?

Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Eben may have already answered this on his blog comment:

"it’s just an overdue naming change to discriminate between Raspbian (the independent open source project) and the 32-bit images that Raspberry Pi builds on top of it."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-ra ... now-at-75/
Eben Upton — post author 28th May 2020, 9:40 am
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 28, 2020 1:56 pm

I've not considered that, but probably, yes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 pm

The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

B.Goode

Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm

aoakley wrote:

I seem to recall that other non-Raspberry-Pi single-board computers claim to use Raspbian (I have never tried).

Does the use of the trademarked phrase "Raspberry Pi" within the new OS name, make it more difficult, from a legal standpoint, for those SBCs to make advertising claims towards compatibility or use of the OS?

This post from a co-founder of the Raspbian project may have some bearing on your question -
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=275380&p=1668466#p1668466

DougieLawson

Thu May 28, 2020 9:42 pm

aoakley wrote:

That's not how trademarks work.

Just because "Raspberry Pi" is a class 9 (software) trademark it doesn't infer that "Raspberry Pi OS" is also a trademark (because it doesn't match the existing registration from 2012). That would require a seperate registration (and all of the administrivia involved with obtaining that).

https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-p ... rade-marks
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

hippy

Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 pm

aoakley wrote:
Pedantically, because it is important; those boards "allow Raspbian to be run" on them.
aoakley wrote:
I would not have thought so. I can't seen any infringement with; those boards "allow Raspberry Pi OS to be run", nor even with; those boards "allow Raspberry Pi(TM) OS to be run".

Trademarking doesn't mean those names cannot be mentioned, only that trademarks have to be acknowledged.

But I doubt we have to worry about any of that. The people making such boards will be talking to their lawyers. The Foundation will be deciding who, if anyone, they'll be pursuing trademark infringement actions against.

dickon

Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Have they ever? Half the problem is that most of the competitors seem to be pretty small, usually Chinese groups, who don't seem all that likely to actually care. That said, most seem to coyly refer to 'competitor SBC' in benchmarks, so...
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

jamesh

Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 pm

dickon wrote:
Have they ever? Half the problem is that most of the competitors seem to be pretty small, usually Chinese groups, who don't seem all that likely to actually care. That said, most seem to coyly refer to 'competitor SBC' in benchmarks, so...
We do have people who specifically look the trademark infringements. Almost always a polite letter fixes any issues.

dickon

Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 pm

Which is as it should be, and what I'd expect. I was more wondering about a rogue foreign group who aren't much likely to care about you winning a case in a UK court should you ever take things that far. Seems that that would be quite expensive and probably achieve very little.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

B.Goode

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am

jamesh wrote:
dickon wrote:
We do have people who specifically look the trademark infringements. Almost always a polite letter fixes any issues.

For an example of what that 'polite letter' looks like, see here - https://twitter.com/RPiSpy/status/13184 ... 76896?s=20

(This is not the website of a 'competitor' - it is someone who has been active in promoting the products of the organisation behind these forums since their first release, and has contributed to the building up of a community around them.)

jamesh

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am
jamesh wrote:
dickon wrote:

For an example of what that 'polite letter' looks like, see here - https://twitter.com/RPiSpy/status/13184 ... 76896?s=20

(This is not the website of a 'competitor' - it is someone who has been active in promoting the products of the organisation behind these forums since their first release, and has contributed to the building up of a community around them.)
RPF's CEO Philip Colligan has apologised for this, it was an error somewhere in the system!

jamesh

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am
RPF's CEO Philip Colligan has apologised for this, it was an error somewhere in the system!
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 2478635009

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”