arpi3b

Devuan based Raspbian images

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am

Hello:

I'm currently waiting for delivery of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to use with my coffee roasting setup.
While I was reading up on what was going on with Raspberry/Raspbian installations, I came across the Raspberry Pi Downloads page.

The workstation I use daily runs on Devuan ascii and thought I would find a Devuan based Raspbian image here but saw that it was not mentioned on the page under the Third Party Operating System Images section along with Ubuntu and others.

There are Devuan Raspbian (jesse and ascii) images available for download and although I have not installed one yet, I expect they work as well as my Devuan ascii workstation and other virtual machines I have generated.

Is there a reason for not having the Devuan images listed as third party OSs?

Thanks in advance,

A.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Devuan based Raspbian images

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:45 am

No reason other that trying not to crowd out the downloads page. If every PI distro wanted to be on there, it would be a mess.

Recommended OS is still Raspbian (Or Ubuntu for a full 64 bit distro)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

procount

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

For a wider range of other distros to choose from, you can install my fork of NOOBS called PINN.

I did a conversion of Devuan back in Aug 2018 for installation with PINN, but I never released it because I didn't have time to create any installation slides for it (their website is very textual) and it hasn't released any updates since the Ascii version in June 2018, so I wondered whether there would be much demand.

However, if you are interested, I can make it available for download/installation through PINN.
Any installation slideshows for it that I could add would be very welcome.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:09 pm

arpi3b wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am
Is there a reason for not having the Devuan images listed as third party OSs?
It's not supported on here. The OS on here is Raspbian complete with the full-fat systemd wonderfulness. I'd guess that 99.999% of folks on the forum a) won't know what Devuan is, b) won't know why they'd swap from Raspbian and c) have no problems with systemd (and any quirks it may possess).

You may be able to get Procount to include your Devuan stuff in PINN (if it's not there already).
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

procount

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Well, as I had it already prepared, I have added it to the distribution list.
There are no installation slides :(
Suitable for Pi 0,1,2,3
I put it in the 'minimal' category.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”