VMMF

Re: USB dial-up modem

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:33 am

Sander wrote:And now some better news:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/ful ... ull.tar.gz is the link to the ... source. Interesting.

I was able to "sudo make install" on my Ubuntu on AMD64. Maybe it works on ARM too? If so, let's hope the hcfpcimodem also understands your USB modem ...
Hi I followed your suggestion and aparently the desktop x86 Debian drivers are not suitable for ARM, here's the error I got:

I tried to install this driver from Linuxant for debian OS
sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem_7.80.02.06oem_i386.deb

reply:
sudo: unable to resolve host (none)
dpkg: error processing hsfmodem_7.80.02.06oem_i386.deb (--install):
package architecture (i386) does not match system (armhf)
Errors were encountered while processing:
hsfmodem_7.80.02.06oem_i386.deb

Neoblast

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 pm

DIYKiwi wrote:EUREKA!

I have my dial-up Conexant USB modem working & am posting this reply with RPi on dial-up!

It's taken two months of persistent fiddling around, but in the end the crucial yet probably very simple problem was my wvdial.conf file in /etc/. I had spent a lot of time playing around with trying to install drivers, fiddling with details in the /etc/ppp/ files, plus trying gnome-ppp, but it seems that wvdial is all I needed (I used android phone tethering to update to wvdial 1.61).

My setup is Raspi B (512MB) with a Dick Smith 13-port USB hub running USB keyboard & mouse, the dial-up modem plugging also into the USB hub.

These are the crucial settings in the wvdial.conf file:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = clearnetprovidernumber
ISDN = 0
Password = mypassword
New PPPD = yes
Username = myusername
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 115200

So thanks to all who posted to this forum - you have all helped on what has been a very educational, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately successful RPi adventure!
Kind Regards,
DIYkiwi
Hello!

I'm trying to compile the conexant drivers for the pi2 (arm), but I'm having no luck so far.
How did you manage to do it in the end? It would be very useful.

Thanks

McC42

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:29 pm

I am fascinated by this thread and Hacking a Dash Button - as a way of giving an old age pensioner a security button in case of a fall. Most pensioners wouldn't have an ADSL setup - and thus would need to get the sniffer computer ( presumably a Raspberry Pi ) - sitting with a Wifi dongle - creating a Wifi network out of one USB port and an old fashioned modem\dialer sitting on another USB port.

Dash buttons ( only available in the US at the moment ) cost $5. And the Raspberry Pi, Wifi USB dongle and the Modem\dialer - all this would be under a £40 ( I am in the UK - so Sterling ). But most importantly there wouldn't be a need for the pensioner to pay a rental for the equipment - and it could dial out messages to family and friends in the event of a fall.

https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i- ... .9nav39c6r

Good ideas guys - Thanks

Greg
Liverpool ( home of the Beatles )
UK

Return to “Raspbian”