gkreidl

[solved] mplayer stopped working after latest ffmpeg update

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Today I updated to the latest versions of ffmpeg libraries (and all the other new stuff like vlc etc.). Now mplayer (and also smplayer using mplayer) completely stopped working. This is the error message I get:

mplayer: relocation error: mplayer: symbol av_alloc_vdpaucontext version LIBAVCODEC_58 not defined in file libavcodec.so.58 with link time reference

I was just working on integrating mplayer into one of my projects and now I'm really stuck. (It was working very well before updating everything).
Last edited by gkreidl on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

topguy

Re: mplayer stopped working after latest ffmpeg update

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:10 pm

I would suggest you consider a change from "mplayer" to "mpv". I feel like both "mplayer" and "mplayer2" are not really being maintained anymore and "mpv" should have mostly the same features and interfaces. But of course I dont know exactly how your integration work.

It can also just be a delay between build/deployment of depending packages so that the updated mplayer build will come if you try to update tomorrow.
(I admit I dont know the Raspbian build/deployment workings good enough to know if this is a thing. )

PhotoJim

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Same problem here. I notice there was an mplayer update this morning (UTC-6) but the problem is not solved. Invoking 'mplayer' alone gives the same error, so ffmpeg is not the problem.

mpv works fine, although the syntax is slightly different so I'm going to have to figure out how to do precisely what I was doing with mplayer. :)

gkreidl

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:36 pm

mpv is not a solution for me (for a number of reasons).

The problem is related to ffmpeg's libavcodec.so.58 library as can be clearly seen from the error message.

It is no caused by the mplayer update (I reinstalled the older version just for testing and got the same error).

I suppose ffmpeg (libraries) have been compiled with other options than in the older version.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Gadgetguy

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Its funny I just posted a reply which seems to have vanished into the ether so I will try again. As you are no doubt aware the version of ffmpeg in Raspbian's buster repository is not stock debian but has been compiled specifically for the Raspberry Pi and you will note that in its configuration it explicitly disabled vdpau. I remember when I compiled my own ffmpeg for my pi 3b when I compiled mpv for version 29 I had to explicitly disable vdpau to get it to work. I know that once ffmpeg was compiled the next step compiling mpv even on the pi 3 was a relatively quick and I presume compiling mplayer againt raspbian's ffmpeg would not be too onerous. Smplayer's status bar options can be configured to show among other things milliseconds which I would imagine would be useful for video editing

gkreidl

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Gadgetguy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:08 pm
Its funny I just posted a reply which seems to have vanished into the ether so I will try again. As you are no doubt aware the version of ffmpeg in Raspbian's buster repository is not stock debian but has been compiled specifically for the Raspberry Pi and you will note that in its configuration it explicitly disabled vdpau. I remember when I compiled my own ffmpeg for my pi 3b when I compiled mpv for version 29 I had to explicitly disable vdpau to get it to work. I know that once ffmpeg was compiled the next step compiling mpv even on the pi 3 was a relatively quick and I presume compiling mplayer againt raspbian's ffmpeg would not be too onerous. Smplayer's status bar options can be configured to show among other things milliseconds which I would imagine would be useful for video editing.
The last ffmpeg version (before this update) was also specially compiled for the RPi (it came from the Foundation repository) and this version worked with mplayer. Producing special versions which break other standard programs of Raspbian is not a good idea.

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am

Same issue here. Everything was working fine beforehand. I'm relatively new to the Raspberry Pi and Raspbian. Any idea how long it might take them to fix this? Should I consider downgrading or will it be a matter of days or weeks max?

gkreidl

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 am

I have re-built the latest Raspbian mplayer version with one more option added to the control file:
--disable-vdpau

This version works again (and also smplayer and gnome-mplayer).

you cand download it from here

Edit: fixed URL for download.
Last edited by gkreidl on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gadgetguy

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am

Since youtube changes its code from time to time and since smplayer can make use of either its own internal youtube code or the youtube-dl utilty( it's own internal code is quicker) it is nice to know that there is an updated stable armhf version available for easy download in debians bullsye repository:

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/smplayer

See also:

Smplayer some updated suggestions :

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=261217

kitopopo

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:31 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 am
I have re-built the latest Raspbian mplayer version with one more option added to the control file:
--disable-vdpau

This version works again (and also smplayer and gnome-mplayer).

you cand download it from here
Dear friend, your link doesn't work. can you repair please?

Thanks in advanced

kitopopo

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Gadgetguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am
Since youtube changes its code from time to time and since smplayer can make use of either its own internal youtube code or the youtube-dl utilty( it's own internal code is quicker) it is nice to know that there is an updated stable armhf version available for easy download in debians bullsye repository:

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/smplayer

See also:

Smplayer some updated suggestions :

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=261217

Hi,

I need use mplayer. After lastet update doesn't work. I have 1000 scripts.sh using mplayer, i can't rename all scripts. Any solution?
My arch of my raspberry is armv7l (raspberry4 with buster) , in your link no appear armv7l arch. Can you help me?
How i can install the packages from --> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/smplayer?
I have searched libavcodec.so.58 for my arch but i don't know how install it.

Thanks in advanced.

Best regards

gkreidl

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm

kitopopo wrote:

Thanks in advanced
Some problem with the file name. I've packed it into an tar.gz archive with a simpler name and now it works. I have edited the post above accordingly.

kitopopo

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 am

gkreidl wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm
kitopopo wrote:

Thanks in advanced
Some problem with the file name. I've packed it into an tar.gz archive with a simpler name and now it works. I have edited the post above accordingly.

Ohhhh Thanks, now mplayer works again perfectly. are you a developer? Is your rebuilt mplayer safe? Ask for root permissions but it works correctly. Thank you very much for your work. Do you think they will solve this problem in any future update or will we have to use your mplayer file? thanks in advance, receive a cordial greeting I am very grateful

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks, gkreidl.

We'll either re-enable vdpau support in ffmpeg or disable it in mplayer.

gkreidl

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thanks, gkreidl.

Thanks! You should consider, that lots of packages dpend on ffmpeg libraries and there could be other applications with similar problems which we simply didn't find yet.

kitopopo

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 am

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 pm
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thanks, gkreidl.

Thanks! You should consider, that lots of packages dpend on ffmpeg libraries and there could be other applications with similar problems which we simply didn't find yet.
Hi dear friend,

can you explain how re-enable vdpau support in ffmpeg or disable it in mplayer? where are the files ffmpeg and mplayer for edit in raspbian? I search but i don found. Do you know de paths? thanks ind advanced

nice work. Best regards

topguy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 am

can you explain how re-enable vdpau support in ffmpeg or disable it in mplayer?
ShiftPlusOne is talking about changing the way ffmpeg or mplayer packages are built in Raspbian. You will get their changes (when they do it) by running "apt update" as normally.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm

You have to rebuild the package. This is much easier to do with mplayer (one package) than with ffmpeg which consists of lots of packages (libraries). I have downloaded the Raspbian source package, modified the control file and rebuilt (including recompiling) the package using the standard Debian tools.

I had to do this because I'm working on a software (update) which uses mplayer and couldn't wait until the Foundation would solve the problem (which they promised to do now).

blacklight

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:44 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thanks, gkreidl.

10 days have passed since one of the most used pieces of software has been broken by an incompatible build - and that's something that shouldn't have happened anyway, some smoke tests at least should be in place to prevent packages from breaking like this via apt.

What's exactly preventing the maintainers from urgently releasing another build of mplayer and the other impacted players through apt, instead of relying on packages shared on the forum or asking users to build mplayer from sources in the meantime?

gkreidl

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 am

Todays ffmpeg update solved the problem. The default mplayer version without any patches is working again.
Last edited by gkreidl on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am

blacklight wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:44 am
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thanks, gkreidl.

10 days have passed since one of the most used pieces of software has been broken by an incompatible build - and that's something that shouldn't have happened anyway, some smoke tests at least should be in place to prevent packages from breaking like this via apt.

What's exactly preventing the maintainers from urgently releasing another build of mplayer and the other impacted players through apt, instead of relying on packages shared on the forum or asking users to build mplayer from sources in the meantime?
1. Not the most used.
2. We are busy.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

kitopopo

Re: [solved] mplayer stopped working after latest ffmpeg update

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:26 am

Dear developers,

Mplayer is used by me and by many users, I would really appreciate an update of ffmpeg when you can, I have thousands of scripts based on mplayer and it is impossible for me to edit it all.

Thanks in advance, best regards

kitopopo

Re: [solved] mplayer stopped working after latest ffmpeg update

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 am

kitopopo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:26 am
Dear developers,

The problem is not solved for me, I have made several updates and upgrades and the problem persists.
when i type mplayer un de shell apperas:

Option --disable-vdpau needs a parameter at line 134

How i can dissable vdpau in a rasp4 buster?

Mplayer is used by me and by many users, I would really appreciate an update of ffmpeg when you can, I have thousands of scripts based on mplayer and it is impossible for me to edit it all.
I don't like to be using unknown patches.

Thanks in advance, best regards
Sorry, for try solve the problem i add in the configuration mplayer file --disable-vdpau, now works correctly. Thanks for all

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”