WolfRamiO

Raspbian Buster to Bullseye?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm

its is safe to use the repos of Bullseye on a Pi 4 with Buster??? i always want the latest software... can i just upgrade the distro or i will break it? Thanks

bensimmo

Re: Raspbian Buster to Bullseye?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Take a backup (clone sd-card to another is easiest), give it a go.
Report back :-)

B.Goode

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 pm

WolfRamiO wrote:
its is safe to use the repos of Bullseye on a Pi 4 with Buster??? i always want the latest software... can i just upgrade the distro or i will break it? Thanks

If you 'always want the latest' don't you necessarily run the risk that you will break it?

Debian don't appear to have even a provisional date for promoting bullseye from testing status yet... And the Testing release doesn't get security updates in a timely manner.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:04 pm

archive.raspberrypi.org does not have a bullseye repo, so you'd be using pure raspbian.org

B.Goode

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am

Just to observe what a broad constituency of user expectations the Raspberry Pi Engineers and Developers have to contend with.

This current thread at one extreme..

And - not particularly extreme - this recent post from me and the immediately following reply from the OP in that thread:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1533101
Why do people feel they have to rush through version after version, and never really finish them? With a life cycle of only a year or 2 how is anyone going to benefit?

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 pm

WolfRamiO wrote:
I think you're about eighteen months too early. Bullseye isn't due to emerge as a stable version (forgive the pun) until 2021.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bjtheone

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:13 pm

WolfRamiO wrote:
If you want leading or bleeding edge, debian is not the distro for you. You will get closer to the edge with some sort of safety net (security patches) on another distro. Given that RPT tweaks the debian release and then releases it from their own servers, and they don't have a Bullseye version yet, you not not going to get any support for them.

However, the question is why? Things will break, weird stuff will happen, at some point you likely will mess up the install to the point that you are going to have to reinstall from scratch. If it is "just because" and you want to learn and experiment so be it. However if you actually want to be able to do work, this is not a plan that will fill your days with joy and happiness.

Imperf3kt

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 pm

If you want software that is newer than what's in the repos, it's as easy as downloading the source code and compiling it yourself.

Had to do it myself on many occasions because the debian repos sometimes have outdated versions of software and far more stable and advanced versions are available from the source

You could also change your sources list so Raspbian uses a different repo.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Raspbian”