OMR

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS / Raspbian Buster

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:43 am

Code: Select all

The codecs are all there. If you have a pre-RPi4-model you can improve MPEG2 performance by buying the MPEG2 HW codec licence.
I am running on a 4GB RPi4 so I'm a bit at a loss here.
I did, however try this recipe viewtopic.php?t=246837 before going with the one in this tread.
Could it have left something 'nasty' behind?
I did have to remove several Kodi related packages from the first attempt until I could get this Kodi to install.

Perhaps, starting afresh is the route to go ....

Rascas

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50 am

OMR wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:43 am

The codecs are all there. If you have a pre-RPi4-model you can improve MPEG2 performance by buying the MPEG2 HW codec licence.
I am running on a 4GB RPi4 so I'm a bit at a loss here.
I did, however try this recipe viewtopic.php?t=246837 before going with the one in this tread.
Could it have left something 'nasty' behind?
I did have to remove several Kodi related packages from the first attempt until I could get this Kodi to install.

Perhaps, starting afresh is the route to go ....
Don't think so, but try with the default Kodi settings. For this, quit Kodi, move your /home/pi/.kodi folder, for example to /home/pi/.kodi_backup and launch it again. Then try the file you linked before.
Also make sure you are using a proper power supply and hdmi cable.

fa4hu

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 pm

fa4hu wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:54 am
Hello,

I have a problem with Kodi install:

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# sudo apt install kodi --fix-missing -y
Csomaglisták olvasása... Kész
Függőségi fa építése       
Állapotinformációk olvasása... Kész
A következő további csomagok lesznek telepítve:
  kodi-bin libao-common libao4 libcec4 libfstrcmp0 libiso9660-11 liblzo2-2
  libmariadb3 libmicrohttpd12 libp8-platform2 libpcrecpp0v5
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libshairplay0 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libva1
  mariadb-common mysql-common python-bluez
Javasolt csomagok:
  kodi-pvr-mythtv kodi-pvr-vuplus kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi kodi-pvr-njoy
  kodi-pvr-nextpvr kodi-pvr-mediaportal-tvserver kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
  kodi-pvr-dvbviewer kodi-pvr-argustv kodi-pvr-iptvsimple
  kodi-audioencoder-vorbis kodi-audioencoder-flac kodi-audioencoder-lame
  libaudio2 libsndio6.1
Ajánlott csomagok:
  libva-intel-vaapi-driver
Az alábbi ÚJ csomagok lesznek telepítve:
  kodi kodi-bin libao-common libao4 libcec4 libfstrcmp0 libiso9660-11
  liblzo2-2 libmariadb3 libmicrohttpd12 libp8-platform2 libpcrecpp0v5
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libshairplay0 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libva1
  mariadb-common mysql-common python-bluez
0 frissített, 19 újonnan telepített, 0 eltávolítandó és 0 nem frissített.
Letöltendő adatmennyiség: 109 kB/41,1 MB.
A művelet után 70,1 MB lemezterület kerül felhasználásra.
Hiba:1 http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/unstable/main/binary  libshairplay0 0.9.0+git20180824.096b61a-1~stretch
  404  Not Found [IP: 176.221.32.193 80]
Nem lehet javítani a hiányzó csomagokat.
E: Sikertelen letöltés: http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/unstable/main/binary/./libshairplay0_0.9.0+git20180824.096b61a-1~stretch_armhf.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 176.221.32.193 80]
E: Telepítés megszakítása.
What can I do? Thanks!
The solution: delete the file "pipplware_unstable.list" in directory "/etc/apt/sourches.list.d".

Unfortunately, after installation, Kodi does not start, there is only a white flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the black screen, and even without starting Kodi, the screen keeps turning black and then back. :(

Lipown

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:17 am

Any Idea how to remotely configure Kodi? I want to buy a pi and install kodi on it for my parents but as I living far I need to remotely maintain it.

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Lipown wrote:
Any Idea how to remotely configure Kodi? I want to buy a pi and install kodi on it for my parents but as I living far I need to remotely maintain it.
Buy two RPis and three SDCards.

Configure one SDCard locally on your RPI get everything working then clone that SDCard, insert the cloned card in one of the RPis and mail the whole (ready to run with power supply and cables) package to your parents. If you know their WiFi SSID you can even pre-configure that. Just don't make any assumptions.

When things go wrong (or you want to update things from Buster to Bullseye), build it, clone your golden copy of the SDCard again and mail just SDCard. Have your parents mail the original SDCard back to you.

They effectively get a commodity device that's just plug in, connect to the TV and go.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Lipown

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:40 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Lipown wrote:

Configure one SDCard locally on your RPI get everything working then clone that SDCard, insert the cloned card in one of the RPis and mail the whole (ready to run with power supply and cables) package to your parents. If you know their WiFi SSID you can even pre-configure that. Just don't make any assumptions.

When things go wrong (or you want to update things from Buster to Bullseye), build it, clone your golden copy of the SDCard again and mail just SDCard. Have your parents mail the original SDCard back to you.

They effectively get a commodity device that's just plug in, connect to the TV and go.
Yes this is the first option I want to avoid.
I somehow managed to install rdp and see even the Kodi trought it. Now it's not working so I am looking for another solutions.

Rascas

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 am

Lipown wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:40 am
DougieLawson wrote:
Lipown wrote:

Yes this is the first option I want to avoid.
I somehow managed to install rdp and see even the Kodi trought it. Now it's not working so I am looking for another solutions.
What's your RPi version ? If it is the RPi 4, you won't see Kodi through remote desktop, no mater the protocol.
If it is RPI 3 or below, you can with RealVNC if you enable experimental mode.

OMR

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm

SOLVED
Don't think so, but try with the default Kodi settings. For this, quit Kodi, move your /home/pi/.kodi folder, for example to /home/pi/.kodi_backup and launch it again. Then try the file you linked before.
Also make sure you are using a proper power supply and hdmi cable.
Thanks for helping out.
Tried a new .kodi folder, but same issue.

Now, a few weeks later I finally figured it out :D

Turned out it was the refresh rate of 30Hz!

Choppy on both 4k/30Hz and 1920x1080p/30Hz.
In System->Video I whitelisted 1920x1080p/60Hz and playback from both LiveTv/RecordedTV and DVD-rips are now silk smooth.

I have not tried 4k/60Hz, as my AVR does not support it, but I did try 4k/30Hz both directly to the TV and via AVR. Same result.

Anyway, TV is never 4k, so I'm happy with fullHD.

Cheers.

pho08

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm

hi

are there any updates on KODI 18.8 LEIA making its way to raspbian?

thanks

Lipown

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Is it possible to control Kodi Volume by HDMI CEC? I cannot figure it how...

jagberg

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Buster

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:17 am

karlandtanya wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Rascas wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm
How are you running Kodi? Through the Desktop, in a virtual terminal, at boot through systemd, etc ? Does it work if you start it through a virtual terminal ? If not what is the output ?
The log I posted is when I ran it from desktop.
I've also reproduced the behaviour running it from a terminal, as [ctrl][alt][f1], then type kodi at the prompt.
I will try messing with screen and see if I can ssh in and look at it after it goes dark. Problem is disconnecting from the screen session at the raspberry pi so I can connect to it from the ssh. Maybe if I just wait 30s and type ^a d it will disconnect...
Maybe I will see the output? I will follow up either way.

When I originally set it up, I had a black screen on my HDMI TV after installing raspian; I guess this is a common issue?
I tried the suggested /boot/config.txt changes, first hdmi_force_hotplug=1 (that's apparently automatically added by NOOBS), which didn't help. Next, config_hdmi_boost=4; didn't help. Finally hdmi_safe=1.
At that point had video at 1024x768, and then used the config tools from the desktop to change it to either 1280x720 or 1280x768 (both work). Afterward HDMI seems to work well.

So, now I'm GUESSING kodi might be using a resolution my TV doesn't like? There (should) be a way to tell kodi what resolution to use...
Some folks in the kodi forums try to specify resolution in advancedsettings.xml, but they report those directives are ignored.
I will look for a solution in that direction and report back if I have any luck.
Meantime if you see something stupid I'm doing, please give a shout.

Thanks!
I had the same issue where after installation I was getting a black screen with 1920 x1080 resolution. It was connected through HDMI (one closest to the power). I changed to 1024 x 768 (

sudo raspi-config
-> Advanced Options -> Resolution) and it worked.

I still get a black screen through VNC but now I get a cursor. I know it doesnt work through VNC though.

Thanks for the guide and this tip.

bscphil

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:41 am

Rascas wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:04 pm
bscphil wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:04 am
By the way (rest of this post not directed at rascas specifically), still seeing a little occasional jank on very high bitrate 1080p h264 files (stuff right at the limit of the Blu-ray specs), and also complex scenes in even moderate bitrate 10 bit SD h264 files. The former is disappointing since it's expected that players be able to decode this stuff (after all, it's in the Blu-ray spec). If anyone reading this is wondering whether to grab the Pi 4 + Kodi for an all purpose HTPC setup, I'd say the answer is still no. (Plus some skimming suggests that HDR is still not really supported, and I haven't even tested that. Definitely a no-go if you have an HDR TV.)
I haven't noticed any problem with h264 8bit files. h264 10bit files are not supported by the hardware decoder, it is software decoded so they might no be played properly. About the h264 8bit file, a full debug log + a sample file may help to find the problem.

I've had a little more time to tinker, and I'm still seeing this problem. Here's what I've found.
  • Resolution doesn't matter. 720p and 1080p both seem affected.
  • Audio codec doesn't seem to matter: I've seen on 5.1 ac3 stuff and Dolby Atmos stuff and so on
  • Settings don't seem to matter: I created an advancedsettings.xml and bumped memory size to 140M and readfactor to 10. Gave the GPU 512 MB of memory. vc4-fkms-v3d is enabled. I've done everything short of overclocking it, which shouldn't be necessary because the CPU isn't hitting 100% (on any thread) even while I'm watching it skip
  • Specific portions of a file don't cause the issue reliably. It's not reliably happening on the same frame or something that would indicate a problem with the file.
  • I've seen issues on files both with and without subtitles.
  • Seems like the longer a file plays, the more skipping I see.
  • The Pi isn't overheating while it's playing videos, stays around 50C.
What does seem to fix it - rebooting the Raspberry Pi. When I start to see this issue it's when Kodi has usually been running for a week or two straight, in an always-on HTPC style setup. Eventually I start seeing more and more skips and hangs, and reboot, and they go away. It's an annoying issue.

pczoido

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 am

Hi all.

First of all, thanks to all diehard developers who have made such a great job bringing Kodi to Raspbian Buster. I am so happy enjoying it.

I am running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi4, on top of Raspberry OS Desktop, all official repos, everything up-to-date. It is right beside the TV set, so there are no USB keyboard or mouse. Desktop is controlled via UnifiedRemote, while Kodi is controlled via Kore. I have no issues switching back and forth between these in my phone.

I can set output audio devices without any trouble through desktop selector, be it analog, HDMI or bluetooth headset, and play any video with any desktop application without any problem.

In Kodi, I can set audio device as ALSA:output through GUI, exit Kodi and restart, and I can play any video from any add-on, provided I had previously selected analog or HDMI in the desktop selector. I can exit Kodi to desktop, switch audio output and restart without any trouble. Everything works as it should.

Now, I have found a rather strange issue when using a bluetooth headset, which had already been reported about a year ago here
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=256938&p=1567749&h ... 1#p1567749

If I choose my bluetooth headset as output, Kodi will use it normally to play GUI sounds. If I just exit Kodi back to desktop without playing anything, I can switch devices and restart Kodi as usual.

If, on the other hand, I try to play any video from any add-on using my bluetooth headset, sound simply vanishes. Video playback stalls forever, but you can still navigate forward, back and stop the playback to go back to Kodi GUI. Subtitles appear to run normally, despite the video not being played.

Back to GUI, I can navigate normally but sound is absent. No GUI sounds at all on any device. There is no sound through bluetooth headset, and there is no sound on HDMI or analog output either. Changing audio device in GUI does not restore audio output.

Device controls are not affected by absent audio. I can still exit Kodi and Kore notices there is no media center any more, but the screen is "locked" until I switch off my headset. This is weird. I have tested this several times. After my bluetooth headset is off, Kodi sort of "gives way" and Raspberry desktop reappears like nothing has happened. I can reconnect my headset, switch devices and restart Kodi without any trouble.

This has ended up being quite a long post, but I would really appreciate your help. Please tell me which kind of logs I should provide, as the issue seems quite puzzling to me, and I am not an expert at all.

Thank you very much.

titou43

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 am

Hello at all

I have installed Kodi on raspi PI4

But i'am not succeed to have the history of readind video on KODI....

Before with kodi and a PI2 I have videos ticked "read" or "en reading" on the liste of vidéos

but since PI4 and install Kodi reading video is OK. After I shut off the raspi PI4....At the new start of the raspi PI4 and starting Kodi the video restart at the beginning....Kodi not keep the state of reading

Do you have an idea or solution

Best regard

giskard

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello everyone

I have been using Kodi and Raspberry Pi for many years. Since last year I have a Raspberry Pi 4 1GB.
Following the guide by rascas, the current setup is as follows:
  • Raspberry Pi OS (Desktop Lite version) with desktop disabled
  • Kodi 18.7 running in standalone mode
  • qbittorent
  • minidlna (now disabled, use dlna provided by Kodi)
The Rpi is connected with:
  • Ethernet cable
  • 1x HDMI (LG TV 4K studio)
  • 1x 2.5 HDD (powered by pi)
  • Amor case with two fans keeping it steadily cool at 45 C
  • The official Power supply
  • No WiFi
  • No Bluetooth
The above setup is always kept fully upgraded and up until recently had no plugins (I 've added the Jellyfin plugin recently, but that has not changed it's behavior).

The above system has been working properly 90% percent of the time. The other 10% fails for no apparent reason. it enters an endless restart loop and then after many reboots, or a few minutes, or a few days, it starts working properly again.

The service fails with

Oct 26 15:03:37 mmcenter.terminus.lan kodi-standalone[1101]: Illegal instruction
Oct 26 15:03:38 mmcenter.terminus.lan kodi-standalone[1101]: Crash report available at /home/qbtuser/kodi_crashlog-20201026_150337.log
Oct 26 15:03:38 mmcenter.terminus.lan kodi-standalone[1101]: [E] Invalid arguments ' '
Running with --debug oprtion provided no clearer explanation. The latest crashlog can be found https://paste.kodi.tv/igumoyopuf.kodi

I have tried disabling all other services, nothing changed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Any ideas about the cause?

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”