labboy

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Buster

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi there people! I updated my raspberry pi 3 to buster yesterday.
Now, I am trying to install the latest version of pvr-teleboy, but it looks the version available is still 18.0.25 from a year ago which is not functional any more. Version 18.1.6 is out there and availbe for ubuntu but not for raspbian yet. Are there any plans to update this or should I switch to ubuntu mate xenial for example?
thanks for your time!
fear nothing, hope nothing, be free

Rascas

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:31 pm

labboy wrote:
Now, I am trying to install the latest version of pvr-teleboy, but it looks the version available is still 18.0.25 from a year ago which is not functional any more. Version 18.1.6 is out there and availbe for ubuntu but not for raspbian yet. Are there any plans to update this or should I switch to ubuntu mate xenial for example?
thanks for your time!
I will update Kodi to 18.5 and all PVRs/binary addons when I have some free time, which is not much in this Christmas/new year season.

You can try Kodi on Ubuntu but it won't be as good as in Raspbian, because it is a generic version, not optimized for the RPi.

labboy

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Rascas wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:31 pm
labboy wrote:
thanks for your time!
I will update Kodi to 18.5 and all PVRs/binary addons when I have some free time, which is not much in this Christmas/new year season.

You can try Kodi on Ubuntu but it won't be as good as in Raspbian, because it is a generic version, not optimized for the RPi.
Thanks Rascas for all your effort. Yes its maybe not optimised but on the other hand with Raspbian i dont have TV anymore, so I dont really have an option. I will just create a new SD setup with ubuntu mate bionic which is for raspberry at least....

labboy

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:08 pm

After some adventurous times with other ubuntu version...i came back to raspbian...and ended up compiling teleboy myself, it wasnt so difficult after all....My first compilation !!! Kudos to the instructions of github pvr-teleboy

chewy74

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Anyone else using watchdog addon and noticing it not updating the library when new files are added? I have kodi installed on a firestick 4k and firetv pendant (kodi 18.5) and watchdog addon for both are working fine.

Pi4 kodi 18.4 with local storage hdd connected

bluenote

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am

I've noticed that kodi (on a pi2b) seems to require a fair bit of gpu mem for decoding h265 but does it well (!!) nowadays. Is there some way I can control the split so that I have more ram in "desktop mode" and more gpu memory in "kodi mode" ?

thanks for any suggestions. I'm actually experimenting with a dual boot, but I'd rather not have to do that.

arre

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:02 pm

@rascas: Thanks alot for the build! Could you also provide a source package / build instructions by any chance?

I would like to fix/patch multithreaded SW decoding in my kodi build (see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15893), but I can't seem to find a debian buster source package for kodi (of which you are the registered maintainer)

The alternative would be for me to fall back to libreelec and patch it there, but I'd rather stay on buster.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Rascas

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:59 pm

bluenote wrote:
I've noticed that kodi (on a pi2b) seems to require a fair bit of gpu mem for decoding h265 but does it well (!!) nowadays. Is there some way I can control the split so that I have more ram in "desktop mode" and more gpu memory in "kodi mode" ?

thanks for any suggestions. I'm actually experimenting with a dual boot, but I'd rather not have to do that.
You can use the CMA (memory alocator). I tried it somewhere in the past but not much, I don't know how it is now.
More information about that here:
https://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Rascas

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:11 pm

arre wrote:
@rascas: Thanks alot for the build! Could you also provide a source package / build instructions by any chance?

I would like to fix/patch multithreaded SW decoding in my kodi build (see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15893), but I can't seem to find a debian buster source package for kodi (of which you are the registered maintainer)

The alternative would be for me to fall back to libreelec and patch it there, but I'd rather stay on buster.

I have already explained this some times here in the forums, but here goes again.
I use cmake/cpack deb to create the deb packages and that does not create a source package.
Anyway, building Kodi for the RPi is easy if you use my github repos:
For RPi 0/1/2/3: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/tree/leia_backports
For RPi 4: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/tree/leia_pi4
You just need to get the build deps, clone the respective repo and run the build_rpi_debian_packages.sh script.
Last edited by Rascas on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus_A

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Rascas wrote:
arre wrote:

I have already explained this some times here in the forums, but here goes again.
I use cmake/cpack deb to create the deb packages and that does not create a source package.
For RPi 0/1/2/3: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/leia_backports
For RPi 4: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/leia_pi4
You just need to get the build deps, clone the respective repo and run the build_rpi_debian_packages.sh script.
Your links are not valid.
Please update vith valid links.

Rascas

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Magnus_A wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 pm
Rascas wrote:
arre wrote:

For RPi 0/1/2/3: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/leia_backports
For RPi 4: https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/leia_pi4
Your links are not valid.
Please update vith valid links.
Fixed, but cmon man, the links for the source code are even on the first post, please do a little research before asking for things.

arre

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Thanks!!

arre

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 am

Just wondering; have you ever cross-compiled (from x64) to rpi before, or do you always compile natively?

Rascas

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:04 am

arre wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 am
Just wondering; have you ever cross-compiled (from x64) to rpi before, or do you always compile natively?
I don't believe I ever tried to cross compile Kodi on a x86 machine. In RPi 1 only time I compiled Kodi on a x86 machine for it, with qemu + chroot.

bfksoql

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 am

Hello. I use RPI4 + kodi to watch rtsp stream from camera and TV from vu+ client. Both works good for few minutes but after some time it loose FPS - video is live but choopy :-( KODI restart helps but problem come back in few minutes / streams changes. How to resolve this problem ?

arre

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Question, I noticed that in the official package the kodi bootstrap script checks which version of the pi it is running on, and executes the appropriate kodi binary afterwards (kodi, kodi_v7 or kodi_v8). The official package basically ships all build variants in one.
Is this something that was manually added afterwards? (I now just simply built the backports branch, but it only builds a single bin, and not all 3. If I were to try to generate an "official package" that is installable on all pi's, I would have to manually merge the install packages?

Thanks for your feedback!

arre

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:06 pm

Also interestingly, even though my build in backports succeeded, the one for the rpi4 failed.

The errors like "xbmc/xbmc/utils/EGLImage.cpp:18:5: error: 'EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_FD_EXT' was not declared in this scope" seems to come from the fact that it tries to include /opt/vc/include/EGL/eglext.h instead of /usr/include/EGL/eglext.h (which I thought it should do). But those defines are not present in the /opt/vc version.

If this rings any bell, thanks for any help on that)

andrum99

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi @rascas. Is it possible to get the systemd script included in the official repo? Or can you possibly explain why it was not included?

Thanks again for your work on this package - it is really helpful to many folk, including me :D

bluenote

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Rascas wrote:
bluenote wrote:

You can use the CMA (memory alocator). I tried it somewhere in the past but not much, I don't know how it is now.
Has this been removed? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... a#p1584101

ParanoYak

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello

I successfully installed Kodi with apt-get install. However I want to use kodi-send commands in order to switch off TV with a command line. Using cec-utils doesn't work, since Kodi comes with its own cec-client.

Hence the idea of using

Code: Select all

kodi-send --action=“CECStandby”
command to make it work.

I installed

sudo apt-get install kodi-eventclients-kodi-send
but the command above doesn't work to switch off TV (whereas CEC works perfectly in Kodi), so I guess this is not the proper way to install kodi-send and make it work with the kodi package.

Do you know how I can install it and make it work ? Or do you know where the KODI-built-in-CEC client is installed, so I may use it directly ?

Thanks
Regards
Franck

Rascas

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:04 pm

arre wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Question, I noticed that in the official package the kodi bootstrap script checks which version of the pi it is running on, and executes the appropriate kodi binary afterwards (kodi, kodi_v7 or kodi_v8). The official package basically ships all build variants in one.
Is this something that was manually added afterwards? (I now just simply built the backports branch, but it only builds a single bin, and not all 3. If I were to try to generate an "official package" that is installable on all pi's, I would have to manually merge the install packages?

Thanks for your feedback!
Yep, Kodi is compiled for 3 diferent architectures for better performance. The resulting binaries are added to one package manually afterwards- Just compile for the version of the RPi you have and it is the same, it is just a waist of the time for you to compile the others.
arre wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:06 pm
Also interestingly, even though my build in backports succeeded, the one for the rpi4 failed.

The errors like "xbmc/xbmc/utils/EGLImage.cpp:18:5: error: 'EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_FD_EXT' was not declared in this scope" seems to come from the fact that it tries to include /opt/vc/include/EGL/eglext.h instead of /usr/include/EGL/eglext.h (which I thought it should do). But those defines are not present in the /opt/vc version.

If this rings any bell, thanks for any help on that)

RPi 4 build is currently failing with some error I didn't have the time yet to investigate.

Rascas

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:08 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:21 pm
Hi @rascas. Is it possible to get the systemd script included in the official repo? Or can you possibly explain why it was not included?

Thanks again for your work on this package - it is really helpful to many folk, including me :D
It could be included, it is not because it is not in the original source code. Also if you check the Kodi packages from Ubuntu PPA for x86, that's not included either.

Rascas

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:08 pm

bluenote wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm
Rascas wrote:
bluenote wrote:

Has this been removed? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... a#p1584101
I have no idea. Better create a new topic about that.

Rascas

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:22 pm

ParanoYak wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm
Hello

I successfully installed Kodi with apt-get install. However I want to use kodi-send commands in order to switch off TV with a command line. Using cec-utils doesn't work, since Kodi comes with its own cec-client.

Hence the idea of using

kodi-send --action=“CECStandby”
command to make it work.

I installed

sudo apt-get install kodi-eventclients-kodi-send
but the command above doesn't work to switch off TV (whereas CEC works perfectly in Kodi), so I guess this is not the proper way to install kodi-send and make it work with the kodi package.

Do you know how I can install it and make it work ? Or do you know where the KODI-built-in-CEC client is installed, so I may use it directly ?

Thanks
Regards
Franck
Yes, that is the correct way to install kodi-send. Don't ask me about the commands though, I never used it.
Kodi uses the same cec-client as the one in the repos, it is compiled dynamically. But using cec-client through command line while Kodi is running may not work. Also notice that some TVs cannot be shutdown/turn on with CEC.

ParanoYak

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes, that is the correct way to install kodi-send. Don't ask me about the commands though, I never used it.
Kodi uses the same cec-client as the one in the repos, it is compiled dynamically. But using cec-client through command line while Kodi is running may not work. Also notice that some TVs cannot be shutdown/turn on with CEC.
Yes CEC-utils and TV shutting off is indeed working without KODI running. So if someone knows how to use CEC commands while KODI is running (using kodi-send or other ways) thanks for your help :)

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”