Gene1934

workspaces, more than 1.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:13 am

Is there a pager that can manage at least 4 workspaces for the default buster install on an rp3b?

And, is there a konsole with multiple tab ability for the armhf stuffs

Thanks.

Gene1934

scruss

Re: workspaces, more than 1.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:13 am

Yes: right click in the menu bar, “Add/Remove panel items”, in Panel Preferences click “Add”, then select “Desktop Pager” and “Add”. This will give you a rather useless one-page pager, so right click on that and choose “Desktop Pager Settings”. You can choose and name as many as you want in the Desktops tab.

Note that, on a Raspberry Pi at least, this sometimes loses the ability to drag windows. I don't know why.

The default lxterminal supports tabs: look in the File menu
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

petr2

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:31 am

yep. completely loose the ability to close, or drag windows under raspbian buster on a raspberry pi. :shock:

scruss

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:41 pm

you can right click on the window entry in the top bar and close windows, but yes, this is very annoying.

Created an issue for this: Adding Desktop Pager removes ability to switch/move/resize/close windows · Issue #1336 · raspberrypi/documentation

Not expecting a fix any time soon, since “We don't support multiple desktop switching (it was removed in wheezy)”. Just flagging it as an accessibility issue
Last edited by scruss on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Moved to Raspbian, (not x86 Debian) as per your comment about a real RPI3 involved, not a PC or Mac.

petr2

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Okay. Rather than using the GUI (which resulted in me not being able to move/close/hide windows and necessitated a reinstall of the operating system) on raspbian buster at least you can use obconfig to configure the number of desktops. Seems to work well...
p

scruss

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Good catch! Creating workspaces from obconf seems to avoid the problem. It modifies the theme, though, so menu bars seem to go back to their small size

PeterO

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:41 pm

petr2 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:31 am
yep. completely loose the ability to close, or drag windows under raspbian buster on a raspberry pi. :shock:
I'm confused by this statement.

I run multiple desktops on all my Pis and I've never seen this issue. How exactly are you configuring multiple desktops that makes this happen ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

scruss wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm
Good catch! Creating workspaces from obconf seems to avoid the problem. It modifies the theme, though, so menu bars seem to go back to their small size
Is there any other way to create them ? I use "Desktop pager settings" (from right click on the pager itself) just runs obconf anyway.

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:42 pm

We have not been able to replicate this issue internally. Multiple desktops just seem to work fine. Any other hints as to setup that might cause the problem?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

PeterO

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm

jamesh wrote:
We have not been able to replicate this issue internally. Multiple desktops just seem to work fine. Any other hints as to setup that might cause the problem?
I wanted to ask about this on the other thread but it got locked... I realised late on in that discussion that I didn't actually understand the issue :roll:
Since an obconf regression was fixed a while ago it just works.

PeterO

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:07 pm

PeterO wrote:
jamesh wrote:
I wanted to ask about this on the other thread but it got locked... I realised late on in that discussion that I didn't actually understand the issue :roll:

PeterO
It's worked fine for me too since then on the P4B's. (My quick test of Buster on a B2 predates the "fix" but I haven't "needed" multiple desktops on older Pi's.) For me it's part of testing a P4B as a possible "replacement" for my Gigabyte Brix box - one desktop is for the "main m/c" the second for remote connections (PuTTY terminal or VNC) to other m/c's more often than not other Pi's. The only "niggle" is that, at the moment, all the desktops have to have the same background. That "in your face" visual cue was very useful when I was still working in R&D and had to use a "bog standard" PC for admin/docs/reporting tasks but all the "real" work was happening on a Linux cluster or other m/c's remotely elsewhere (lot's of test cases to be run in // ).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jamesh

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:23 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:07 pm
PeterO wrote:
jamesh wrote:

PeterO
It's worked fine for me too since then on the P4B's. (My quick test of Buster on a B2 predates the "fix" but I haven't "needed" multiple desktops on older Pi's.) For me it's part of testing a P4B as a possible "replacement" for my Gigabyte Brix box - one desktop is for the "main m/c" the second for remote connections (PuTTY terminal or VNC) to other m/c's more often than not other Pi's. The only "niggle" is that, at the moment, all the desktops have to have the same background. That "in your face" visual cue was very useful when I was still working in R&D and had to use a "bog standard" PC for admin/docs/reporting tasks but all the "real" work was happening on a Linux cluster or other m/c's remotely elsewhere (lot's of test cases to be run in // ).
Trev.
I thought you could have different backgrounds, but that might have been per attached monitor.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

scruss

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:46 am

Thank you! The immovable windows with multiple workspaces and now the theme regression after running obconf appear to be fixed with today's update.

PeterO

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:35 am

scruss wrote:
Thank you! The immovable windows with multiple workspaces and now the theme regression after running obconf appear to be fixed with today's update.
Scruss,
Can I ask you please to give a detailed description of what you mean when you write "immovable windows" because I've never seen anything like that happen and I've been using multiple desktops on PIs for as long as I can remember.
Thanks.
PeterO

RossDv8

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 am

I had 'Immovable windows' quite a few times when I first got the Pi 4.. So regularly that it annoyed me enough to make a text file about how I fixed it in case it happened again.
Can I ask you please to give a detailed description of what you mean when you write "immovable windows" because I've never seen anything like that happen and I've been using multiple desktops on PIs for as long as I can remember.
My experience might be similar enough.

Since I began running Raspbian from SSD instead of microSD, that, and several other annoying problems have gone away.
The actual problem for me (and maybe petr2) was, as they explained in about the 3rd or 4th post, clicking the mouse on the titles bar and dragging does nothing. Clicking the Close, Max/Restoreand Min icons on the title bar do nothing. ALT+ Mouse click and drag does nothing and trying to drag a side or corner or side to resize does nothing. Also there was no menu response right clicking on any part of a frozen window.

MY SOLUTION:
Right click the Desktop and choose Desktop Preferences.
Click the Defaults tab (on the right end of tab bar)
Click on Set Defaults.

I found I could click the Defaults for the screen size I was already using and it would work ok. BUT - I would lose a couple of small thing like custom font sizes and single click to open files.
But it was a hell of a lot easier than reinstalling the OS (like I did the first half dozen times).

Again, it has not happened since I started running Raspbian from the SSD.
It also never happened when running Manjaro from the same microSD card I had when I had the problem with Raspbian.

For me it's part of testing a P4B as a possible "replacement" for my Gigabyte Brix box - one desktop is for the "main m/c" the second for remote connections (PuTTY terminal or VNC) to other m/c's more often than not other Pi's. The only "niggle" is that, at the moment, all the desktops have to have the same background.
@ FTrevorGowen I got my Pi 4B because I use a BRIX BACE-3150 instead of my big computers for day to day stuff and wondered about the Pi as a replacement. Now the only time I turn the BRIX on is to print stuff, because there are still no print drivers for the Pi. (NOT the fault of the Pi People).

The Pi 4 is just more comfortable to use in so many ways, and once I managed to get a different picture on each Desktop wallpaper I was much happier :D
Like you, I use the different wallpaper on each desktop as a quick visual cue..
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

PeterO

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:43 am

Nope, I've never seen anything like that happen. Either I'm just lucky or I set things up in a different way that doesn't "tickle the bug"....

PeterO

scruss

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:22 am

PeterO wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:35 am
scruss wrote:
Can I ask you please to give a detailed description of what you mean when you write "immovable windows"
RossDv8 described it perfectly.

scruss

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:03 am

And if anyone needs video evidence, I realized that my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB hadn't been updated in a while, so I made this video via vnc to show you what it looks like. No sound, and assume when the mouse is in the title bar or in close/move widgets, I'm frantically clicking the mouse button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h29SC8ArHqI

I've got all of the files in .config and a note of what packages were installed at the time. How can I help use these to pin down the source of the problem? The machine has now been updated and doesn't seem to show the problem any more

jamesh

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:17 am

It'll be some package mismatch somewhere, don't think there is much point in trying to figure out what since the fix is simply to do an update anyway.

RossDv8

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 am

As jamesh reminded some of us in a similar post

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Can resolve a lot of funny stuff caused my odd package mismatches and such.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”