ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mesa 19.2.0-rc1 available for testing

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:52 pm

This post may only be of interest to users running GL(ES) applications on a Pi 4 with FKMS enabled.

This week, Mesa have announced a release candidate for the 19.2.0 release, which we would like to switch over to.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 00536.html

It fixes rendering artefacts I've seen in sauerbraten and those reported here https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1228

piglit (regression tests for mesa) shows too many fixes to list and everything I've thrown at it so far has been better or no worse than the previous build. There are a few regressions, but re-running the failed tests again results in a pass. They may just be failing due to previous failures getting the GPU into a bad state and the test running before it has a chance to reset.

If you would like to try it, edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list and add 'untested' to the line 'deb' line so that it looks like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main ui untested
If you don't have "ui" in there, that's okay.

Then update and upgrade as usual:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

itsmedoofer

Re: Mesa 19.2.0-rc1 available for testing

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi,

Just so it's in one place, this fixed the Chromium issues I was seeing with Openstreetmap maps...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1523567

RichardRussell

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:52 pm
This week, Mesa have announced a release candidate for the 19.2.0 release, which we would like to switch over to.
I'm pleased to confirm that this 19.2 candidate fixes the issue with glLogicOp() not being implemented, and makes BBC BASIC work properly again! This is really good news, and I look forward to it being incorporated in an 'official' update.

djazz

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Hopefully it'll make its way to stable Raspbian once 19.2 releases!

Before Mesa 19.2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUokv61i6iI
After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTlY_hbe51Y

dkoud

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks ShiftPlusOne for the fix.
Selecting an area using Scrot is working fine now.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm

I've pushed this version into the main repo.

The next 'untested' version will probably be the upstream 19.2.0 release with OpenGL 3.1 patches.

graphicw

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:40 pm

This has fixed the problem with Google Maps repeating tiles and WebGL is actually working well now. I also noticed improvements in visual quality of Doom 3 as well. You guys have been busy and it shows.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 am

One problem that still exists is the Rainbow effect in the Raspbian packaged version of Warzone 2100. Something is still amiss there. I will test other versions of Warzone 2100 to see if the problem is evident with them as well.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 pm

I have included a screen capture of the Warzone 2100 with Disco effect. This rainbow glitch has always existed on the Pi 4. It has been something I have not been able to figure out or find any reference to mention of the same problem by others.
Attachments
2019-09-26-131535_1920x1080_scrot.jpg
Warzone 2100 Disco
2019-09-26-131535_1920x1080_scrot.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks for the screenshot. I've forwarded it on to the powers that be.

K9spud

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:25 am

I also experienced this rainbow color effect using the Warzone 2100 v3.2.1 binaries from the Raspbian 10 buster repo.

However, upon compiling the v3.3.0 release from source code and the very latest master cloned from github, this rainbow color effect is eliminated for me in both cases (yay!).

It's not as silky smooth as on my laptop, but with some overclocking and running at a lower resolution than my monitor's 1920x1200 maximum, I can get the FPS up high enough to be pretty good. Expect about 22-26 FPS if you run at full 1920x1200 resolution without overclock.

There are some animation bugs -- oil rigs don't move up and down like they are supposed to. Instead they move left and right, which is really strange, considering this same source code works correctly on my x86 laptop. But that's not really a show stopper, just odd looking.

cjan

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:07 am

19.2.6 released, with some V3D fixed.

Gavinmc42

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am

Been playing Warzone2100 in Gentoo64 for months.
Yep, the Raspbian version is not playable with those colours.

New 3.30 and mesa 19.2.6 should make it fine, Gentoo64 is 19.2.3.
Gentoo64 builds from source so normally has newer versions, but just installing(emerging) can take hours.
I think 3.2 was fine as well on Gentoo, Mesa issue?

Does not seem like anyone has reported the oil rig issue, yet.
I had a quick look on the WZ forum the other day, I suspect it is a Pi issue.
Not a game stopper, the AI seems smarter in 3.3, much harder now.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Gavinmc42

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 am

Made a new Buster, updated everything.
Warzone2100 version 3.2 no longer has the rainbow effect, but is still not perfect.

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.85-v7l+ #1279 SMP Fri Nov 22 15:51:49 GMT 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.2.0-rc1
Downloaded WZ 3.3, will compiler and test it,
But it looks like it might be the first version playable on Raspbian.
I will be able to cross it off my Raspbian stress test list.

But I had another problem, Filemanager won't stay up, fires up and then vanishes.
A google found the answer :D

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pcmanfm
Edit - the mesa demos seem to work fine, the few I tested.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

K9spud

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
But I had another problem, Filemanager won't stay up, fires up and then vanishes.

I can't stand the default file manager... "sudo apt-get install nemo" did the trick for me. :) It's really great when buster has such nice things already compiled and ready to go!

jamesh

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 am

K9spud wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:

I can't stand the default file manager... "sudo apt-get install nemo" did the trick for me. :) It's really great when buster has such nice things already compiled and ready to go!
What don't you like about the file manager? We do customise it, so would be useful to know what you think any problems are. I've just compared with Nemo and TBH, don't see a lot of difference. Very similar in look feel and feature set.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

cjan

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:17 pm

cjan wrote:
mesa got update, test fishtank(webgl), result is best ever.
but why tag 19.2.0-rc1 still?

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:28 pm

cjan wrote:but why tag 19.2.0-rc1 still?
Because that's what it is.

It's identical to the previous version with one extra patch - https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes ... uests/2884

This is still in 'untested', not in 'main'.

K9spud

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 am

jamesh wrote:
What don't you like about the file manager? We do customise it, so would be useful to know what you think any problems are. I've just compared with Nemo and TBH, don't see a lot of difference. Very similar in look feel and feature set.
Mostly it's just because I'm very accustomed to Nemo. Digging through it, I suppose you're right that PCManFM has mostly the same feature set, but it's just a hair less ergonomic in every step of the way in my opinion.

For example, I wanted to create a new folder. In Nemo, there is a very clear "Create New Folder" icon that I can instantly recognise and hit, just like I've been doing for years since Windows 95's file manager. In PCManFM, there is no readily apparent toolbar button. I spent several minutes digging just now, as it SURELY has such a basic feature -- apparently it's under "File -> Create New -> Folder." UGH! That wasn't easy to find, and it's not very easy to hit with a single mouse click. Why does PCManFM break Create New Folder and Create New File out to a submenu of the File menu? Nested submenus are so much more difficult to hit with the mouse than just having the menu items directly under the File menu, as they are in Nemo. Nested submenus have a tendency to disappear on you as you slide your mouse to the right trying to get to over to the submenu and the item you want. Slide up or downwards too much while trying to get to it, and poof, the submenu drops away so you have to waste time bringing it back...

I wanted to do a file search, so I hit CTRL-F like I would in Nemo or Windows. But that doesn't work in PCManFM, instead it brings up a little text box for searching in the current folder. Why is CTRL-F a hot key for something that doesn't even need a hot key?? If I wanted to search for a single file in the current folder, I'd have just started typing letters, not CTRL-F. CTRL-F should bring up the recursive search function, but no, that's under CTRL-SHIFT-F in PCManFM apparently.

Sure, if I HAD to live with PCManFM (like on my wimpy RPi0W), I could learn all those little "idiosyncrazies" and deal with it. But how about when I click the "BACK" or "FORWARD" mouse buttons on my Logitech VX Nano to move forward and back in my file browsing history? Works great in Nemo, but PCManFM seems to think these special mouse buttons both mean "open the RENAME file window." WTF?!? When it did that, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Nemo is very similar, but slightly better than PCManFM in enough ways that it makes it well worth the download for my purposes, at least on my RPi4 where RAM is not so tight.

jamesh

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:30 am

K9spud wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 am
jamesh wrote:
Mostly it's just because I'm very accustomed to Nemo. Digging through it, I suppose you're right that PCManFM has mostly the same feature set, but it's just a hair less ergonomic in every step of the way in my opinion.

For example, I wanted to create a new folder. In Nemo, there is a very clear "Create New Folder" icon that I can instantly recognise and hit, just like I've been doing for years since Windows 95's file manager. In PCManFM, there is no readily apparent toolbar button. I spent several minutes digging just now, as it SURELY has such a basic feature -- apparently it's under "File -> Create New -> Folder." UGH! That wasn't easy to find, and it's not very easy to hit with a single mouse click. Why does PCManFM break Create New Folder and Create New File out to a submenu of the File menu? Nested submenus are so much more difficult to hit with the mouse than just having the menu items directly under the File menu, as they are in Nemo. Nested submenus have a tendency to disappear on you as you slide your mouse to the right trying to get to over to the submenu and the item you want. Slide up or downwards too much while trying to get to it, and poof, the submenu drops away so you have to waste time bringing it back...

I wanted to do a file search, so I hit CTRL-F like I would in Nemo or Windows. But that doesn't work in PCManFM, instead it brings up a little text box for searching in the current folder. Why is CTRL-F a hot key for something that doesn't even need a hot key?? If I wanted to search for a single file in the current folder, I'd have just started typing letters, not CTRL-F. CTRL-F should bring up the recursive search function, but no, that's under CTRL-SHIFT-F in PCManFM apparently.

Sure, if I HAD to live with PCManFM (like on my wimpy RPi0W), I could learn all those little "idiosyncrazies" and deal with it. But how about when I click the "BACK" or "FORWARD" mouse buttons on my Logitech VX Nano to move forward and back in my file browsing history? Works great in Nemo, but PCManFM seems to think these special mouse buttons both mean "open the RENAME file window." WTF?!? When it did that, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Nemo is very similar, but slightly better than PCManFM in enough ways that it makes it well worth the download for my purposes, at least on my RPi4 where RAM is not so tight.
I suspect someone trying Nemo for the first time after using pcmanfm would have exactly the same comment, but in reverse! One thing that does stand out, the lack of a new folder button. Although there is a keyboard shortcut a button would be nice. I'll check with Simon to see why there isn't one. Not sure about the find functionality.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

cjan

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:06 am

cjan wrote:
19.3 released, some VC4/V3D commit.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Won't be able to update it before mid January.

Mikael

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:48 am

Is there any (relatively) easy way to test 19.3 before it goes into stable?

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Return to “Raspbian”