wisnoskij

Upgraded, No Longer Reading Config.txt?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 am

Hello,

Ran dist-upgrade last night and now Rasbian does not pick up my overscan settings in config.txt
I have/had it set to

Code: Select all

disable_overscan=0
overscan_left=142
overscan_right=142
overscan_top=27
overscan_bottom=27
Tried a bunch of different stuff and no change at all. It can write to the file, but I expect it is not even reading it anymore for some reason.

Is their some command to reset the OS to defaults, or do some sort of clean install? I don't have any files or settings I need saved.

Andyroo

Re: Upgraded, No Longer Reading Config.txt?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:58 pm

If you have nothing you need to save I would just download a new copy of the OS and write the SD using Etcher.

Raspbian Buster is available https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Etcher is available https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Do not forget to check the SHA-256 after you have downloaded the image - a few cases of corrupt images have been reported recently. This may be a temporary glitch due to the Pi 4 success or hopefully an issue with the downloaders end :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Zanstel

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 pm

I think that config.txt is readed from firmware so it has no sense.

Maybe the fat partition is not mounted and, for some reason, you have a copy under the root partition.
Firmware only reads the first partition (fat type).
Then your behaviour would have sense. You weren't writing the real config.txt but a copy in the root partition under the same directory (because the partition was not mounted).

Just a theory

christopholous

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

None of those settings worked for me either after a fresh raspbian install, did some digging and found its due to their opengl driver which is enabled by default not supporting those settings. So you have to disable the driver using sudo raspi-config if I recall correctly.
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.

klricks

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

wisnoskij wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 am
Hello,

Ran dist-upgrade last night and now Rasbian does not pick up my overscan settings in config.txt
I have/had it set to

Code: Select all

disable_overscan=0
overscan_left=142
overscan_right=142
overscan_top=27
overscan_bottom=27
Tried a bunch of different stuff and no change at all. It can write to the file, but I expect it is not even reading it anymore for some reason.

Is their some command to reset the OS to defaults, or do some sort of clean install? I don't have any files or settings I need saved.
There were some changes made. See this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=246167
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

wisnoskij

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone.

Good to know christopholous, but that does seem like a less than ideal solution.

Thanks klricks. Am I reading this correctly? This is an issue that is simply fixed now and I should just run a second dist-upgrade? The issue the thread links too seem to say that this was fixed 8 days ago, so maybe I need to subscribe to beta releases or something, as I just ran the upgrade yesterday.

Kramer

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 pm

I have mine hooked to a TV and it overscans even though I have:

run the rpi-update and have the latest firmware

set disable_overscan=0 and tried different overscan values which make no difference

Am I missing something?

wisnoskij

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Got mine fixed. The rpi-update fixed the issue for me.

Kramer

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 pm

fixed mine by eventually finding the "PC" video setting on my TV.

Return to “Raspbian”