QwertyChouskie

[UX] File Manager defaults not user-friendly

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 pm

There is a long comments thread on the Raspbian Buster release article discussing Raspbian's File Manager and its user friendliness (or lack thereof). I won't repeat it all here, just the link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... nt-1510422

The TL;DR is that it seems the File Manager uses the Tree view in the sidebar by default, because that is how the main dev personally uses it, but it makes things less friendly to average users, especially external device management is made much harder.

It seems to me that there are two potential solutions, not mutually exclusive:

- Use the Places view by default
- Switch the default file manager to Thunar

Thunar has both a much better Places view and a much better Tree view:

Places view comparison. Notice Thunar has better organization, cleaner visuals (all Places icons are symbolic, rather than a weird fix of symbolic and non-symbolic icons), and support for network browsing.

Tree view comparison. Notice Thunar shows devices as entries in the tree view, similar to the Places view, without losing the advantages of the Tree view. It's not a perfect implementation, as the eject button is not shown in Tree view, requiring the user to right-click and click Eject, but it's still leagues ahead of PCManFM's implementation.

(Also, Thunar is now using GTK3 while PCManFM still seems stuck on GTK2.)

So, what do you all think? As an everyday user of Xubuntu, I personally love Thunar, but maybe I'm in the minority, so I'd love to know what other users think.

fruitoftheloom

Re: [UX] File Manager defaults not user-friendly

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 am

QwertyChouskie wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 pm
There is a long comments thread on the Raspbian Buster release article discussing Raspbian's File Manager and its user friendliness (or lack thereof). I won't repeat it all here, just the link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... nt-1510422

The TL;DR is that it seems the File Manager uses the Tree view in the sidebar by default, because that is how the main dev personally uses it, but it makes things less friendly to average users, especially external device management is made much harder.

It seems to me that there are two potential solutions, not mutually exclusive:

- Use the Places view by default
- Switch the default file manager to Thunar

Thunar has both a much better Places view and a much better Tree view:

Places view comparison. Notice Thunar has better organization, cleaner visuals (all Places icons are symbolic, rather than a weird fix of symbolic and non-symbolic icons), and support for network browsing.

Tree view comparison. Notice Thunar shows devices as entries in the tree view, similar to the Places view, without losing the advantages of the Tree view. It's not a perfect implementation, as the eject button is not shown in Tree view, requiring the user to right-click and click Eject, but it's still leagues ahead of PCManFM's implementation.

(Also, Thunar is now using GTK3 while PCManFM still seems stuck on GTK2.)

So, what do you all think? As an everyday user of Xubuntu, I personally love Thunar, but maybe I'm in the minority, so I'd love to know what other users think.

You have the choice of installing a different File Manager :shock:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Milliways

Re: [UX] File Manager defaults not user-friendly

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Discussing File Managers soon gets into a religious war, but for what it is worth IMO the best FM is ZTreeWIn.

I tried to produce a macOS version http://binnie.id.au/QuollEyeTree.html

I would like to make a Linux version, but am getting too old to even hope this is possible.

Last bumped by QwertyChouskie on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 pm.

Return to “Raspbian”