lgalex

Pixel Doubling

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi

If I understand correctly, the new video driver that is now used by default on the Raspberry Pi 4 doesn't support some features, like pixel doubling.

I was wondering if there was plans to make pixel doubling available with the new driver in the future. Otherwise I will need to find another way to scale the display the way I want.

Thanks

Sir FICO

Re: Pixel Doubling

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:51 pm

I saw a flag somewhere for pixel doubling, im not at my desk at the mo but I think its somewere in raspi-config

Paul Webster

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:30 am

I remember seeing something about it on one of the many launch days videos that I skipped through.
It said no pixel doubling in RPi4 but there use different modes to achieve same effect .... but I don't know which (all my RPi run headless).

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 am

You can use the Screen Configuration tool to achieve a similar effect to pixel doubling - just set the resolution of your monitor to something lower.

We would like to get it back in as an option, but don't as yet know if it will be possible to do so.

klricks

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Don't even try to enable pixel doubling if you don't have a high resolution monitor!
The screen will be zoomed in too far and be unusable. It then will be difficult to restore back to normal as the raspi-config menes will be off screen and unreachable.
see: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=217112
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

lgalex

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm

spl23 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 am
You can use the Screen Configuration tool to achieve a similar effect to pixel doubling - just set the resolution of your monitor to something lower.

We would like to get it back in as an option, but don't as yet know if it will be possible to do so.
I saw this in the blog article. The problem is if I set the resolution to half full hd to achieve the same effect, the monitor has to do the upscaling. It's fine, but from what I saw, not all monitors will accept a "non-standard" resolution input.

For now, I guess it is still possible to use the old driver, even with the Pi4. I simply assume it will be removed at some point in the future.

In case someone has an idea... I use pixel doubling to put an app I made with Pygame in fullscreen. The raspberry pi wasn't powerful enough to manage the whole Full HD resolution with an acceptable frame rate, so the app works at half the resolution internally, and pixel doubling makes it full screen without any lag (using the gpu I guess).

I thought of using a "half hd" resolution, but it seems that my monitor with accept it. ( I may have done it wrong, I don't know...)

It is possible to scale it using Pygame, but again, the pi isn't powerful enough.
Pygame2 solves it on some platforms. I can use it to scale the app using the gpu, and it's fast enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that SDL2 uses the gpu on the raspberry pi with raspbian yet... unless the new video driver changes that, but I will need to get a Pi4 to test it first :)

Thanks

Return to “Raspbian”