tinker2much

Simon Long appreciation

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm

My first thought after looking at the comments on Simon's Buster release post was how many people would rather spoil the joy than send him well deserved congratulations. Complaining that it doesn't do this, or it doesn't do that, or when is it ever going to do X?

Gee, can we give the guy a break? He's being very professional, but I think I can detect a little testiness and here-we-go-again in his responses. How would it feel to work for months and years on something and then get pestered by clouds of gnats buzzing the same whingy tune in your ear?

So, Simon, if you ever get tired of the drone, come here and bask in the appreciation of your usually quiet fans:

We can only imaging the effort, the hours, the fiddling, the fixing, the tuning, the aggravations and the toil that are part of this for you, but we DO appreciate it. Well done.

And, personally, I REALLY appreciate the effort to keep every Pi going, even the oldest and least. I have a lovely MacBook Pro - perfectly usable hardware-wise - that Apple said couldn't accept their latest OS after 7 years. Meanwhile, I have one of the very first 256MB Model B's, coincidentally mine for exactly 7 years this 10 June, and you're still giving it your very best.

Case closed.

k-pi

Re: Simon Long appreciation

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:11 pm

I may have moaned at first sight of the needed new cables etc, but I now see it as a completely new line of computer board, & will be getting a 4GB model when they become available, so, yes, I do appreciate all your, & the teams, hard work to bring us the new RPi.

Sorry if you found my first comment off putting, it was just a bit of disappointment at my end, until I realised that it is such a big leap forward, & needed to have different cables & PSU, etc.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm

tinker2much wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm
So, Simon, if you ever get tired of the drone, come here and bask in the appreciation of your usually quiet fans:
Thank you so much for this! I do know that much of what I do ends up being controversial - it doesn't matter what you change, you're always going to upset someone - but the overall aim is to make things better over time, and it is reassuring to know that at least some people agree that that is what happens... ;)

So thank you again - much appreciated.

Jimblob64

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 am

I won't even have my Pi 4 4 GB until the end of this week or next, but I've been thinking about it every day since the announcement.

Thank you (and everyone else who- pun intended- chipped in) for making such a hugely cool, tiny powerhouse possible.

And also thanks for making the Buster image compatible with all other Pis, since it means I get to set up and explore the latest Raspbian on the old faithful Pi 3B while I wait.

Still can't get over how this $55 machine manages to be practically in the same class as a $500 Dell laptop. Here's hoping such an achievement was celebrated appropriately. :)
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

Gavinmc42

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 am

Simon now wears disguises in public as the PC makers are angry at him?

Edit- Forgot to say, I do like the new look of Buster and those photos are great.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Raspbian”