dkossman

Re: Buster bug report thread

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Sir FICO wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 pm
netatalk for connection to apple mac computers fails. It can be installed with 'sudo apt-get install netatalk'. The mac 'finder' will show the rpi computer under the Network and will allow a 'connect as' login. However after the login the finder just says 'not connected'. I did not have any problems with stretch so I assume a buster issue.
I have exactly the same problem, fresh install of Buster on a Pi Zero.

Milliways

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 am

Sir FICO wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 pm
netatalk for connection to apple mac computers fails. It can be installed with 'sudo apt-get install netatalk'. The mac 'finder' will show the rpi computer under the Network and will allow a 'connect as' login. However after the login the finder just says 'not connected'. I did not have any problems with stretch so I assume a buster issue.
Netatalk is now v3, and has changed significantly.

I haven't fully explored these changes.

Previously the users home directory was enabled by default, but editing /etc/netatalk/afp.conf to contain the following.

Code: Select all

[Homes]
    basedir regex = /home
Allows me to connect to my home directory from macOS with the following:-

open afp://MilliwaysPi3Plus.local
Probably works from Finder, but I rarely use this.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm

jonmacd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 pm

[email protected]:~$ sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i interface -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Could not read interface interface flags: No such device
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
nl80211: deinit ifname=interface disabled_11b_rates=0
Could not read interface interface flags: No such device
interface: Failed to initialize driver interface
[email protected]:~$ 
This is pretty much the extent of my troubleshooting abilities. Any tips on anything else to try would be appreciated.
That should be -i wlan0 (or whatever the interface actually is).
bls wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 pm
It would appear that systemd-networkd-wait-online waits for eth0 to come online. I know that I can modify /lib/systemd/systemd/systemd/neworkd-wait-online.service to have it ignore eth0, but shouldn't this be parameterized via something in /etc/default?
If you run "SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i wlan0", does it complain about udev?

If so, it seems to be failing here:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob ... ager.c#L58

I may take a closer look at this later.
startrek.steve wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:03 pm
Ok got my shiny (Hot) Raspberry Pi 4 yesterday,. installed Buster, did all the updates, added a bottom panel to the desktop, rebooted and the top panel has vanished along with all menus! If I delete config with sudo rm -r ~/.config/lxpanel and reboot, the top panel comes back ok, but as soon as I add a bottom panel, the top one vanishes after a reboot. Is therfe a fix for this bug?

Steve
Not seeing the issue on a clean buster install.

Are other changes preserved between reboots? If you open appearance settings, reset defaults and try again, do you see anything different?
Ernst wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 pm
Splash screen time very short and no messages shown with Pi 4B

On a Pi 4B the splash screen is erased almost immediately and it is impossible to read anything on it.
There are no further messages shown on the bottom of the screen.
It looks as if the complete screen is blacked out until the desktop is loaded.

On a Pi 3B the splash screen does not get erased and messages are shown on the bottom of the screen.

After removing the following lines from config.txt the splash screen is shown as expected:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
The issue is that when FKMS is enabled, the time between X starting and showing anything on the screen is increased. What you're seeing is X starting and initialising before LightDM shows up. I don't know if there's much that can be done about that.
linux_author wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:54 pm
alas, while gqrx and Buster readily supports the RTL-SDR on my RPi3Bs (works great!), it looks like SDR radio is a no-go on my RPi4 2GB...
It's being looked into:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3060

tinker2much

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 pm

A "TP-Link Wireless N Nano USB Adapter TL-WN725N" does not work on a Pi Zero under Buster, although it works with Stretch.

I re-burned the card with Buster from scratch and went through the setup wizard. When the wireless wouldn't work, I connected a USB-to-ethernet adapter via a hub and accomplished the upgrading that way. I copied over my saved home directory, and all my code seems to work (in this case, python code to drive an attached PiHut XmasTree)

What other information can I provide that might help you troubleshoot this?

thrustpork

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:16 pm

I ran apt update last night and my debian switched from test to inrelease as well as downloaded a few files. Since then, videos aren’t working in chrome at all with hardware acceleration on. I’m using the latest rpi-update, and I commented out the disable gpu portion for chromium. It was working before the latest update, and I can get it to work again by disabling hardware acceleration. Could anyone else confirm this to be the case as well?

Edit:

I should mention that when you try to load a video (youtube, twitch) with hardware acceleration on, the whole tab just goes black and I have to force close the program.

bls

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm
bls wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 pm
It would appear that systemd-networkd-wait-online waits for eth0 to come online. I know that I can modify /lib/systemd/systemd/systemd/neworkd-wait-online.service to have it ignore eth0, but shouldn't this be parameterized via something in /etc/default?
If you run "SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i wlan0", does it complain about udev?

If so, it seems to be failing here:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob ... ager.c#L58

I may take a closer look at this later.
I ran this with both -i wlan0 and -i eth0 (separately, of course). Here's what I got:

rpi41/home/bls# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i eth0
Found link 3
Found link 2
Found link 1
link eth0 is being processed by networkd
Event loop failed: Connection timed out
rpi41/home/bls# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i wlan0
Found link 3
Found link 2
Found link 1
ignoring: lo
ignoring: eth0
rpi41/home/bls# journalctl -f                                # No new journal entries caused by the above
-- Logs begin at Thu 2019-02-14 02:11:58 PST. --
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Stopped User Runtime Directory /run/user/65534.
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Startup finished in 1.455s (kernel) + 37.678s (userspace) = 39.133s.
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Removed slice User Slice of UID 65534.
Jul 08 11:30:46 rpi41 su[715]: (to root) bls on pts/0
Jul 08 11:30:46 rpi41 su[715]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user root by (uid=2400)
Jul 08 11:30:48 rpi41 systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 dbus-daemon[671]: [session uid=2400 pid=671] Activating via systemd: service name='org.a11y.Bus' unit='at-spi-dbus-bus.service' requested by ':1.3' (uid=2400 pid=785 comm="firefox-esr ")
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 systemd[648]: Starting Accessibility services bus...
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 dbus-daemon[671]: [session uid=2400 pid=671] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 systemd[648]: Started Accessibility services bus.
[/quote]

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm

bls wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I ran this with both -i wlan0 and -i eth0 (separately, of course). Here's what I got:

rpi41/home/bls# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i eth0
Found link 3
Found link 2
Found link 1
link eth0 is being processed by networkd
Event loop failed: Connection timed out
rpi41/home/bls# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online --timeout=5 -i wlan0
Found link 3
Found link 2
Found link 1
ignoring: lo
ignoring: eth0
rpi41/home/bls# journalctl -f                                # No new journal entries caused by the above
-- Logs begin at Thu 2019-02-14 02:11:58 PST. --
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Stopped User Runtime Directory /run/user/65534.
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Startup finished in 1.455s (kernel) + 37.678s (userspace) = 39.133s.
Jul 08 11:30:44 rpi41 systemd[1]: Removed slice User Slice of UID 65534.
Jul 08 11:30:46 rpi41 su[715]: (to root) bls on pts/0
Jul 08 11:30:46 rpi41 su[715]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user root by (uid=2400)
Jul 08 11:30:48 rpi41 systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 dbus-daemon[671]: [session uid=2400 pid=671] Activating via systemd: service name='org.a11y.Bus' unit='at-spi-dbus-bus.service' requested by ':1.3' (uid=2400 pid=785 comm="firefox-esr ")
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 systemd[648]: Starting Accessibility services bus...
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 dbus-daemon[671]: [session uid=2400 pid=671] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
Jul 08 11:31:08 rpi41 systemd[648]: Started Accessibility services bus.
Are you using networkd to manage eth0? If so, what you're seeing is the documented behaviour.

Did you add any files to /lib/systemd/network or /etc/systemd/network?

bls

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm
Are you using networkd to manage eth0? If so, what you're seeing is the documented behaviour.

Did you add any files to /lib/systemd/network or /etc/systemd/network?
Yes, using systemd-networkd to manage eth0 and wlan0. I added two files to /etc/systemd/network.

10-eth0.network

[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
DHCP=Yes
LinkLocalAddressing=no
IPv4LL=false

[DHCP]
UseDomains=yes

11-wlan0.network

[Match]
Name=wlan0

[Network]
DHCP=ipv4
IPv6AcceptRA=no
LinkLocalAddressing=no

[DHCP]
UseDomains=yes

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm

bls wrote: Yes, using systemd-networkd to manage eth0 and wlan0. I added two files to /etc/systemd/network.
Then my understanding is that it's working as intended:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 30937.html

Not sure that there's anything that can be done without adding drop-in services.

bls

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm
bls wrote: Yes, using systemd-networkd to manage eth0 and wlan0. I added two files to /etc/systemd/network.
Then my understanding is that it's working as intended:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 30937.html

Not sure that there's anything that can be done without adding drop-in services.
Ah, OK, thanks for the follow-up. That explains the behavior. But...this didn't happen on Stretch. apt-daily.service and apt-daily-upgrade.service didn't have an ExecStartPre that runs /usr/lib/apt/apt-helper that runs systemd-networkd-wait-online (with the behavior you've noted). And I couldn't find a supported way to inform /usr/lib/apt/apt-helper which network interface(s) to use or not.

Thanks

blis

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 pm

In appearance settings, using the 'Set Defaults' buttons for different screen sizes also deletes some settings. It forgets what terminal emulator to use when you press F4 for opening the current folder in a terminal. Will tell you 'Error: Terminal emulator is not set'. It also removes any panel applets you've added (will need to log out before they disappear).

Ernst

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm

I have not seen this problem with wiringpi on a Pi4B mentioned:

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspi9 4.19.50-v7l+ #895 SMP Thu Jun 20 16:03:42 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/[email protected]:~ $ 

sudo apt-get install wiringpi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  wiringpi
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/52.9 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package wiringpi.
(Reading database ... 42906 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../wiringpi_2.50_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking wiringpi (2.50) ...
Setting up wiringpi (2.50) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...

[email protected]:~ $ gpio readall
Oops - unable to determine board type... model: 17
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Ectra

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm

I have found two issues so far.

First is that YouTube stutters heavily in chromium although I believe it is a known issue and there's a patch on the way. Any updates on that would be appreciated!

Second is with VLC using a Bluetooth headset. An mp4 will only play the first half a second of sound before going silent. If I jump forward, unpause etc I get another short burst before silence. Issue doesn't exist on analogue audio nor when sound is played via browser etc. I am not sure if this should be raised to vlc instead.

ksharindam

Compress option in PCmanFM not working with xarchiver

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:09 pm

I am trying to Compress a file in pcmanfm by right clicking over a file. But clicking compress is not working.
xarchiver is used as default archiver in pcmanfm.
the output in terminal is

xarchiver: Unknown option --add-to
But the correct option should be --compress
This bug should be fixed.

Is xarchiver used in Raspbian as default archiver in pcmanfm ? (I am asking because i use buster lite with xfce)
My Qt projects at ... https://github.com/ksharindam

caldimerda

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Ectra wrote:

First is that YouTube stutters heavily in chromium although I believe it is a known issue and there's a patch on the way. Any updates on that would be appreciated!

Second is with VLC using a Bluetooth headset. An mp4 will only play the first half a second of sound before going silent. If I jump forward, unpause etc I get another short burst before silence. Issue doesn't exist on analogue audio nor when sound is played via browser etc. I am not sure if this should be raised to vlc instead.
I have the same issue with VLC sound. On *some* video files it will only play a momentary sound when un-pausing. It appears to be specific to some codecs - eg. mp4 aac, ac3 do this but mpga is fine.

thatchunkylad198966

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Ectra wrote:

The "fix" for Chromium is out; not sure about the VLC problem though, I don't use it; I either use MPV or Kodi.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm

VLC fix would require this to go through - https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa/pull/231

Ectra

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm
VLC fix would require this to go through - https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa/pull/231
Aha, this works when applied manually! Thanks!

For people who stumble on this thread...

I git cloned the above repository and applied the patch. I then grabbed the official buster source from the Rpi Raspbian Mirror (deb-src http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main)

apt build-dep bluealsa && apt source bluealsa.

I then copied the 'debian' folder from the official source into the git cloned bluealsa folder, cd'd into the cloned folder and ran debuild -us -uc. This creates a few .deb packages. I installed the main bluealsa package and rebooted and VLC now works. If anyone wants a better write up reply/PM and I'll provide.

tpyo kingg

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 am

The weird coloring produced by apt is hard to impossible to read when the screen is in a brightly lit area. Can the weird colors please be turned off by default?

$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80nocolor 
Binary::apt::APT::Color "0";

DougieLawson

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 am

@JamesH / @ShiftPlusOne Can you list which of the bugs in this thread have been fixed in Raspbian Buster 2019-07-10 (& NOOBS 3.2)?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

beta-tester

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 am

i just instaled the new Raspbian Buster (2019-07-10-raspbian-buster.zip).
when it starts up with the configuration wizard the changed keyboard settings will not taken into account.
i setted to:

Language: Germany
Timezone: Berlin
[x] Use English language
but the next step is changing the password and there the keyboard layout is still "gb" not "de".

after a reboot the keybord layout isn't changed at all.

i would expect to set the keyboard layout to German (de), when i select German as Country there in the dialog.
with "[x] Using English language" it should have no effect to the keyboard layout, if it is the reason why the keyboard layout was untouched by the dialog.

this must be a bug.

changing the keyboard layout by using raspi-config from the console is working.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

NylleX

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Again, there is a lot of translation multible places in Buster, still take as always just a little while.. :-) - Really dont complete understand it, - Debian Buster simply has another translation to etc. Danish. in some strange places of the GUI.!

Nmads

pik33

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Desktop elements (pcmanfm or lxpanel) from time to time get 25% of cpu and don't release it.
With first versions of Buster the problems were caused by pcmanfm; now it is lxpanel which does this.

Symptoms: after some time of playing with RPi4, the CPU load applet shows 25% CPU used and the temperature is higher than normal idle state.

The task manager shows lxpanel occupying 25% CPU

The only solution is to kill and restart it: it never releases the CPU when the symptom occured.

I still didn't catch the moment when it starts to load the CPU and what my behavior (run something? ) may cause this symptom or maybe it is random..

DavidFlint

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Sidebuster wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:36 am
[...]
On first boot and from then on, dhcpcd fails. When I try to manually launch it with dhcpcd, it says there was a buffer overflow issue and quits out. This seems to happen right after (or as) it gets to trying to get an address for ip6..
[...]
Seems a bug in dhcpcd5 version 7.0.8-0 with IPV6. dhcpcd 7.1.0-2 works well.
7.0.8-0 is overruled and considered as more recent as it comes as version 1:7.0.8-0.1+rpt1 via repo http://archive.rapsberrypi.org/debian buster/main (in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list). That's why I added # in front of that line in raspi.list and did
apt update
apt install dhcpcd5=7.1.0-2
(and confirmed "yes" when asked to install an older version)

7.1.0-2 appears in http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main repo!
Alternatively, exclude it from being upgraded for the moment: apt-mark hold dhcpcd5, after installing 7.1.0-2. Then the raspi.list can stay untouched.
I hope RPF is stopping delivering this buggy dhcpcd5 version one day. :roll:

PINGeV

Buster Lite image too large for 2GB SD card

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 am

Buster Lite image slightly too big for 2GB SD card

I wanted to upgrade Raspbian Buster on my old Raspberry Pi 1 with its 2GB SD card.

I failed to write the Buster Lite 2019-07-10 image to the 2GB SD card because the image is too large (it's 2,1GB). There is some empty space available on the rootfs filesystem partition inside the image 8-) so it seems like an oversight to make the image no longer work on 2GB. :(

Please slightly shrink the rootfs partition so the entire image once again fits onto a 2GB SD card.

I also tried to shrink the image myself but it didn't boot, I have to debug it but I don't have a monitor handy which makes it complicated.

Thanks!

PS: Please don't tell me to throw away my SD card and buy a new one. 2GB is plenty.

Return to “Raspbian”