callmejoe

why tightvncserver slow

Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 am

i have tightvnc server installed on my raspi2. i am connecting to it from a PC running linux mint. after i bring up the virtual desktop of the pi, i open a few programs, let's say file manager and a terminal. when moving those windows around there is always a lot of tearing and choppiness. I was wondering then why that would happen since i would assume the graphics are rendered by my host system which has an i5-4670k and gtx770 graphics card. is there that much overhead attributed to vncserver? or maybe there are some tweaks to the settings i can make?

scruss

Re: why tightvncserver slow

Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 am

better to use the built-in Realvnc server - you get a free personal licence with Raspbian.

It's not so much the processing power, but the fact that all the screen data has to creep down your network connection.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

klricks

Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 am

callmejoe wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 am
i have tightvnc server installed on my raspi2. i am connecting to it from a PC running linux mint. after i bring up the virtual desktop of the pi, i open a few programs, let's say file manager and a terminal. when moving those windows around there is always a lot of tearing and choppiness. I was wondering then why that would happen since i would assume the graphics are rendered by my host system which has an i5-4670k and gtx770 graphics card. is there that much overhead attributed to vncserver? or maybe there are some tweaks to the settings i can make?
The screen information is first rendered by the RPi, then transferred over the network, then rendered again by the remote computer.
(The remote system does not render screen information for the RPi).
The network is the main 'bottleneck'
It might help some to lower the screen resolution.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 am

scruss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 am
better to use the built-in Realvnc server - you get a free personal licence with Raspbian.

It's not so much the processing power, but the fact that all the screen data has to creep down your network connection.

+1. RealVNC is fully supported by the developers.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

LTolledo

Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am

RealVNC server on RPi (Raspbian Stretch with Desktop)
RealVNC Connect (viewer) on Linux Mint

You get to see the actual desktop (as you would see on the connected monitor) on the RPi, unlike virtual desktop on TightVNC.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

callmejoe

Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 am

sounds like i should give RealVNCserver a try

thanks

callmejoe

Tue May 07, 2019 11:22 am

klricks wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 am
The screen information is first rendered by the RPi, then transferred over the network, then rendered again by the remote computer.
(The remote system does not render screen information for the RPi).
The network is the main 'bottleneck'
It might help some to lower the screen resolution.
yes i wasnt sure if the RPI actually rendered anything first. good to know.

Return to “Raspbian”