taylorkh

Raspbian Mate anyone?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 pm

I am running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on a Pi 3b and 4 Pi 3B+ computers. I started with UM 16.04 on the 3B and by a combination of trickery enabled the image to boot a 3B+ and performed a do-release-upgrade to get to 18.04. This has been working well except that man pages are broken on 18.04 :(

I have tried Raspbian but I find the LXDE desktop environment not to my liking. Today just for the halibut I burned the Raspbian lite image to a micro SD card, booted a 3B+, upgraded as needed and then ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment "X Window System" lightdm
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot
I was presented with a graphical login screen. In the upper right I selected MATE. I had a "Could not connect to session bus:" error which I tried to logon which traced to polkit. I moved to a different tty terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F4, logged in as Pi and ran

sudo apt install --reinstall mate-polkit
Upon completing that I rebooted the Pi and I can now log into my preferred environment. And the man pages now work :mrgreen:

Of course I may run into some other issues but that is half the fun. Just thought I would pass this along.

Ken

taylorkh

Re: Raspbian Mate anyone?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 pm

And i it even runs on a Pi Zero-W. Not very fast but it does run :D I just popped the card from the 3B+ into the Zero-W and it booted right up.

Ken

soydepr

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:19 pm

I tired below but just logs me on to default wm

taylorkh wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 pm
I am running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on a Pi 3b and 4 Pi 3B+ computers. I started with UM 16.04 on the 3B and by a combination of trickery enabled the image to boot a 3B+ and performed a do-release-upgrade to get to 18.04. This has been working well except that man pages are broken on 18.04 :(

I have tried Raspbian but I find the LXDE desktop environment not to my liking. Today just for the halibut I burned the Raspbian lite image to a micro SD card, booted a 3B+, upgraded as needed and then ran

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment "X Window System" lightdm
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot
I was presented with a graphical login screen. In the upper right I selected MATE. I had a "Could not connect to session bus:" error which I tried to logon which traced to polkit. I moved to a different tty terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F4, logged in as Pi and ran

sudo apt install --reinstall mate-polkit
Upon completing that I rebooted the Pi and I can now log into my preferred environment. And the man pages now work :mrgreen:

Of course I may run into some other issues but that is half the fun. Just thought I would pass this along.

Ken

taylorkh

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:36 pm

The trick is to start with the raspbian-lite image - with NO gui. I have tried installing Mate over top of Raspbian with the LXDE desktop but there does not seem to be any way to select the desired environment. I believe this has to do with the window manager and I am not familiar with how to do that.

Regarding the "Could not connect to session bus" error... This occurs when I boot to the command line and then bring up the gui with

sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target
The fix I posted was not really a fix. I believe I set the graphical.target as default and rebooted after re-installing what I thought was the offending package.

As to the man pages on Ubuntu Mate 18.04... I found a fix for that or at least a workaround.

vim ~/.profile 

and add the following line

export MAN_DISABLE_SECCOMP=1
If you want to give it a second try, burn the lite image to the card, boot the Pi, install "X Window System" mate-desktop-environment lightem and then sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target and reboot. That should do the trick. Feel free to post back if you have any questions.

Be aware that this process will provide the Mate interface but a lot of programs bundled by Ubuntu Mate are not present and will have to be installed manually.

Ken

soydepr

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:50 pm

I tried this as well and failed
http://raspbian.org/RaspbianMate

Thanks I give up

taylorkh

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:21 pm

I will give the instructions on the linked page a try. Weezy is rather out of date. The current version of Raspbian, based on Stretch, uses systemd to control startup. startx no longer works. The command is systemctl isolate graphical.target.

Ken

soydepr

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 pm

I have stretch install all you had mentioned Will try one m0re time if you succeed what is lightdm. De wm or something else

soydepr

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Now I need to see difference between desktop environment and window manager,, can one be both

B.Goode

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:02 pm

soydepr wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Now I need to see difference between desktop environment and window manager,, can one be both

I am sorry to learn that you do not seem to have a reliable Internet search facility available to you.

Wikipedia cannot be relied upon to be totally accurate and authoritative, but these articles seem to be a reasonable summary of the situation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

FigGearOil

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 am

I just upgraded to Ubuntu-mate 18.04 and the man pages are still broken in this version. I used the "man disable" command listed here and it worked perfectly. I exported it to my .zshrc file and the man pages work normal now. Thanks for the info.

taylorkh

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

I have installed the official Ubuntu Mate 18.04 image on several Pi 3B and 3B+ (rather than upgrade.) man pages work fine.

Ken

Return to “Raspbian”