EOFFJM

About backup SD card

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi

When I try backing up my Raspberry Pi SD card on to a image file on my PC, I get two drives popping up. One says "boot" another one says "Secure Digital storage device". Do I need to backup only the one that says "boot" or both?
Thanks.

pfletch101

Re: About backup SD card

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

EOFFJM wrote:
Hi

When I try backing up my Raspberry Pi SD card on to a image file on my PC, I get two drives popping up. One says "boot" another one says "Secure Digital storage device". Do I need to backup only the one that says "boot" or both?
Thanks.
What OS is your PC running and what software are you trying to use to backup the SD card? Machines running Windows cannot, by default, make sense of the main code/data partition on a Pi's SD card, and will only be able to access the boot partition, while offering to reformat the other one (not a good idea, if you ever want to use it again!). Assuming that you are using an OS/Application combination that can make sense of the card's logical structure, you would probably need to back up both 'drives'.

EOFFJM

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 pm

PC is Windows 10. Software is Win32DiskImager.
Yes my PC asked if I wanted to reformat one of the 'drives'.

Assuming that you are using an OS/Application combination that can make sense of the card's logical structure, you would probably need to back up both 'drives'

Does this OS/Application combination make sense of the card's logical structure?

Thanks for the reply.

pfletch101

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:19 am

EOFFJM wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 pm
PC is Windows 10. Software is Win32DiskImager.
Yes my PC asked if I wanted to reformat one of the 'drives'.

Assuming that you are using an OS/Application combination that can make sense of the card's logical structure, you would probably need to back up both 'drives'

Does this OS/Application combination make sense of the card's logical structure?

Thanks for the reply.
I have not used win32DiskImager. However, I believe that if that is what you are using, all you need to save is "Secure Digital storage device", which should include both partitions. A good test would be to save the image that way, restore it to another microSD card, and check that you can boot the new card in your Pi.

Ernst

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 am

EOFFJM wrote:
Hi

Thanks.
The "boot" partition drive letter is what to give to Win32DiskImager to identify the disk (SD Card).
Win32DiskImager will then create an image of the contents of the SD Card, meaning it does not care about the partitions as it copies the partition table and the contents as a blob (binary large object).
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

EOFFJM

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”