ptroot63

Wifi not working on Pi Zero W

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:22 am

I just got a new Pi Zero W and downloaded the latest Raspbian stretch. The bluetooth and wifi are not available. They don't appear in dmesg.

I started by making the SD card with raspbian directly, and put it in my Pi 3. It came right up, I connected to the wifi, and did an update. Rebooted in my Pi 3, just fine. Then moved the card to the Pi Zero W. No network.

I redid the image and went straight to the Zero, still no joy.

I went through all the sites I could find in the goole search. Editing interfaces, editing wpa_supplicant.conf, etc. Nothing worked.

I tried Windows IoT and got the network.

In dmesg, it identifies as:
OF: fdt: Machine model: Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2.

Next I downloaded the latest Noobs, and installed raspbian that way. Still no joy. Edited wpa_supplicant.conf and rebooted, no good.

Move the card to the Pi 3, and network comes right up, and I do an update.

I was going to try some other OS. I saw an Amiga clone, that might be fun, but it looks like it has gone away. Downloading plan 9.

Does anyone have any advice on getting raspbian working?

Or suggestions on OS.

Andyroo

Re: Wifi not working on Pi Zero W

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 am

Lets start simple (I'm much happier that way) to get you up and running first:

1) Download a clean version of Raspbian (either lite or full - matters to start with) and burn it to SD - let us know how you did each step
2) BEFORE you put it into the Pi let us see the wpa_suplicant.config file here in the 'code' tag. Please remove you SSID and password

Let us know which model Pi you want to set up - you mention a zero and a 3) and what country you are in (latter changes the config file)

How are you typing into the Pi - is it keyboard / mouse / monitor (lite or full OS is fine) or via the network and VNC (full OS is required)?

ptroot63

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 am

As I said, I downloaded the latest Raspbian fresh from raspberrypi.org.
I put it on the SD card with etcher on Windows 10.

I have an usb OTG cable and so have my keyboard and mouse connected, and display going to the monitor.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
	ssid="wifi"
	psk="password"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Using this works for the Pi 3.

the Zero W is the issue. It is a Pi Zero W V1.1 from 2016. According to the screen print on the pcb.

Again,
1) wifi works when I put Windows IOT on the SD card
2) moving the SD card from the Pi 3 (with working wifi) has non-working wifi on the Pi Zero W.

bensimmo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:19 am

When you type
pinout
or in
raspi-config
What does it think it is, a B rev2 still?

If not, does it see the WiFi chipset at all?
(I have one that doesn't, it identifies at a ZeroW, so not the B problem. BlueTooth is still seen.)
The card works in a 3B works fine.

Where did it come from?
(Mine was with the MagPi subscription).

rin67630

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 am

Has Raspbian got an equivalent to lspci?

WiFi should work OoB right from the very fist boot of Raspbian. Maybe the chip is defective.

Thursten

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:22 pm

I have the same problem.. Got a new Pi Zero W i installed
Raspbian Stretch with desktop and recommended software the November release image from the downloads page, just yesterday. When I boot my Pi zero neither the Wifi or Bluetooth is availabl from the menu/taskbar in the GUI, I've been searching the web, with no solutions..
When I do

Code: Select all

lsmod
It doesn't show either the wifi nor bluetooth chips..

So what can I do here? I mean I wonder if manually changing wpa_supplicant.conf is gonna make it recognize the chip and if it would, that probably wouldn't fix my bluetooth, or would it?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have a Samsung EVO 32gb micro sd card, wrote the image with Win32DiskImager, like I always do.

Edit: The sad part is, there is nothing I can do now.. There is no Ethernet or anything.. I only have experience with the other Pi's 1, 2B and 3B, this is my first Zero. :P

ptroot63

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm

When you type
pinout
or in
raspi-config
What does it think it is, a B rev2 still?

If not, does it see the WiFi chipset at all?
(I have one that doesn't, it identifies at a ZeroW, so not the B problem. BlueTooth is still seen.)
The card works in a 3B works fine.

Where did it come from?
(Mine was with the MagPi subscription).
Sorry for the delay, Monday and Tuesday nights are busy for me.

Pinout says it's a Pi Model B V2.0. And says no wifi and no bluetooth.
So does raspi-config

I got it from adafruit.

I'm thinking it is defective.

Thursten

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pm

I'm just gonna talk with you here if you don't mind, maybe we get to a solution together! =) (However if you do mind, please just say so and I will open an extra topic for myself..)

I just read in another post from a little while back, with the same problem.
ShiftPlusOne an engineer over here mentioned posting the outcome of sudo journalctl.
Now I am currently reading through my own to see if I notice something out of the ordinary.
And I too saw that it thinks it's a model Pi Model B V2.0, just like yours, ptroot63, Now they do have the same chipset if I remember correctly so maybe the problem is in there..

Also, i find it weird that no one else has this problem. Like I said I have a new Pi Zero, just got it out of the box, flashed Raspbian Stretch on it, tried two of the RAspbian versions, both with GUI and both didn't work out for me.. No Wifi devices AND no bluetooth devices found..

Thursten

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Okay you guys, follow this and check out if you have the same problem.. Somehow this could be a programming problem from the factory..? I'm curious as to how I'm gonna explain this to my retailer here in The Netherlands.. But all the info stated in the aforementioned link is exactly the same as mine.. So I guess I'm just kind of unlucky here..

bensimmo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

That's the problem I sort of mentioned above (not the problem I have) it's somewhere in the forum talking about it.

The reseller shouldn't be a problem, I assume it's an authorized reseller (I've not seen any other), they should know about the problem and/or know who to contact.

Stulander

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

bensimmo wrote:
That's the problem I sort of mentioned above (not the problem I have) it's somewhere in the forum talking about it.

The reseller shouldn't be a problem, I assume it's an authorized reseller (I've not seen any other), they should know about the problem and/or know who to contact.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same issue. Bluetooth works but wifi doesn't. It's not a bad flash. Tried about 4 different raspbian versions and arch. Nothing works.

bensimmo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Stulander wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am
bensimmo wrote:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same issue. Bluetooth works but wifi doesn't. It's not a bad flash. Tried about 4 different raspbian versions and arch. Nothing works.
No, I never did. I just took the hit of a poor device and the WiFi was broken. :-(

LdB

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Check /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I had issue wifi would not connect because of keyboard mapping bug on install for Raspbian Buster. You can't see what types for password and it was wrong I only realized it when I saw the password physically in the wpa_supplicant.conf

bensimmo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 pm

LdB wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm
Check /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I had issue wifi would not connect because of keyboard mapping bug on install for Raspbian Buster. You can't see what types for password and it was wrong I only realized it when I saw the password physically in the wpa_supplicant.conf
That's not our problem unfortunately.

Return to “Raspbian”