billybangleballs

Brand spanking new 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full.img

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:44 pm

I have installed the latest Raspbian to a new sdcard, it boots and leads me through a series of nanny setups and then reboots.
All is good. I right click on the desktop and using the context menu, move my taskbar to the bottom of the screen where sane people usually have it. All works well. I reboot and my sane setting has been ignored and the taskbar is at the top of the screen again. I go through the motions of putting it back to the bottom, only for it to reappear at the top of the screen on the next reboot.
Am I missing some secret command that makes my settings permanent, or is it just broken?
Grumpy old man.
Ex-G0KAP - I'd rather be doing it than talking about it.
"When found, make a note of." - Captain Cuttle

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Brand spanking new 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full.img

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Are other changes retained? If you just place a file on the sd card, is it still there after you reboot?

billybangleballs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I edited /boot/config.txt which stuck, and /etc/dhcpcd.conf which also stuck. .bash_history is being written, apt-get update worked.

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x 16 pi   pi   4096 Nov 18 12:24 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Nov 13 13:09 ..
-rw-------  1 pi   pi     10 Nov 18 12:24 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    220 Nov 13 13:09 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi   3523 Nov 13 13:09 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x  5 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 .cache
drwx------  8 pi   pi   4096 Nov 18 12:58 .config
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Documents
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Downloads
drwx------  3 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 .gnupg
drwxr-xr-x  3 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 13:45 .local
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 13:45 MagPi
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Music
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Pictures
drwx------  3 pi   pi   4096 Nov 18 12:19 .pp_backup
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    675 Nov 13 13:09 .profile
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Public
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Templates
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Nov 13 14:25 Videos
-rw-------  1 pi   pi     56 Nov 18 12:24 .Xauthority
-rw-------  1 pi   pi   3954 Nov 18 12:24 .xsession-errors
-rw-------  1 pi   pi   3954 Nov 18 12:19 .xsession-errors.old
I appear to have write permissions in ~/.config
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.79-v7+ #1159 SMP Sun Nov 4 17:50:20 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

I'm a kernel behind, but I don't think that is the issue.
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.80-v7+ #1161 SMP Mon Nov 12 18:51:43 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
So I installed the latest kernel and nothing changed.
I'm stumped.
Grumpy old man.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks, I'll pass the report on.

spl23

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I've just checked this on a clean image, and I can't repeat the problem - when I move the taskbar, it stays at the bottom of the screen when I reboot.

The setting is in the file ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel - there should be a line in the "Global" section at the start which says "edge=bottom".

If the taskbar moves when you make the setting, then that file should be correct at that point. Is that file vanishing when you reboot for some reason?

billybangleballs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:27 pm

I forced the thing to stay where I put it, by manually editing these files to be identical

/home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel
/home/pi/.pp_backup/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel
But at the time there were 4 'panel' files below /home/pi, but there seems to be only two now and things have stabilized.
I have no record of where these 'panel' were, an my memory isn't that good. I looked in .bash_history, but it only recorded me running sudo pcmanfm, not the files I subsequently edited with leafpad.
I do recall there was a 'panel' file next to a panels directory, and also a 'panel' file in the panels directory, but whether that was in .config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/, .pp_backup/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/ or both I don't recall. I remember having all 4 files open at once in a row across the screen and edited each one to be the same. The only lines I edited were edge=bottom & autohide=1.

Sorry I can't remember any more than that.

Once I get this running as it I need it, I'll replicate my actions on another sdcard and make notes this time.
The last update broke my working installation, so I have a lot to do to get back to square one.
Grumpy old man.

spl23

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:46 pm

/home/pi/.pp_backup/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel is just a backup file made by the Appearance Settings application - it is a copy of /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel made when you start Appearance Settings and is copied back over it again when you leave Appearance Settings by pressing Cancel. It doesn't affect the actual running configuration.

If you have multiple "panel" files below /home/pi/, that suggests you had multiple panel configurations in effect - you can have multiple subdirectories of .config/lxpanel, and each of those can contain a panel file. The default configuration on a clean image has no panel files at all, and uses a global panel file stored in /etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels - when you make a change in Appearance Settings, a copy of this global file is made in .config/lxpanel/panels/panel, and your changes are then applied to that.

billybangleballs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I'll take your word for it, but it was brand new, logged into once, and I had had no other interactions with it when I changed the position of the taskbar. Some settings box came up at the same time and I clicked on whatever it wanted, then it rebooted the machine and the taskbar had reverted to the top of the screen.
I placed it at the bottom and then ran sudo shutdown -r now from an lxterminal and when it rebooted the taskbar was once again at the top, I then came on the forum and moaned about it before trying to establish wtf was going on. I distinctly remember seeing a 'panel' file next to a 'panels' directory around this time. It wasn't of my creation, I just edited the four 'panel' files under the home folder to all be the same, which fixed the taskbar where it was wanted. Since then, the only 'panel' files are in the 'panels' directory, the other one has vanished. I suspect that something didn't get the memo about the 'panels' directory being the new home of 'panel' files, but it will need to wait until I have more time to look at the issue.

Thanks for having go at replicating it, I will have another look myself when I get a minute; And report back.
Grumpy old man.

billybangleballs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:40 pm

To replicate:
dd image to clean sdcard
When sdcard written, mount said sdcard and edit /media/pi/rootfs/etc/dhcpcd.conf and insert the static ip addresses in readiness.
Edit /media/pi/boot/config.txt and disable overscan
touch /media/pi/boot/ssh

At this point I checked /media/pi/home/pi and there was very little in it, certainly no /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel

shutdown -h now

Swap out sdcard for newly written one and apply power.
Pi boots, displays message about resizing the file system and then reboots
When desktop appears, the taskbar is at the top of the screen, so rightclick on desktop, move to bottom using context menu.

Start pcmanfm, check that /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel exists in correct place with correct contents. Check.

Go through the box of tricks displayed on screen, set the wifi password and then let it check for whatever it checks for.
When it has done what it does, recheck /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel and find that although the taskbar is still sitting at the bottom of the screen where I placed it, /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel has been secretly edited to display the taskbar back at the top of the screen, where, had I not checked, it would have appeared on the subsequent reboot. I edited /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel to make the taskbar be where I wanted it, and then rebooted.

Taskbar at bottom of screen.
Without intervention, it would have been at the top of the screen as it was earlier today when the saga started.

Observations on a brand new install:

Clicking on a .conf in pcmanfm launches libre office 5 which I suppose will edit the .conf, but seems a bit overkill when leafpad is sat doing nothing.

Adding an application to the application launch bar works, but if you subsequently use the main menu editor to alter the properties of said application, but then change your mind and click cancel, the whole thing vanishes.

Wishlist and hopes for the future:

apt-get upgrade is such a fickle beast, if you are 'pi' and you are running default vanilla settings, you might be ok a few times before 'upgrading' means trashing your file system. If you change all the necessary bits to be not 'pi' but another user that takes more guessing, the 'upgrade' does not take into account this scenario and just overwrites stuff and semi-reverts you to half 'you' and half 'pi', which is an untenable situation because your system becomes unusable.
I hope that this behavior becomes a distant memory and that crossing your fingers and touching wood before updating becomes unnecessary as well as pointless. :)

Congrats on the VLC btw, a lot easier to use than omxplayer.
Grumpy old man.

spl23

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:06 pm

OK, thank you for that - I've tried the process you mention in that order, and I do not see the panel file being overwritten by anything in the wizard; my taskbar stays resolutely where I put it. Nor can I think of anything the wizard is doing which ought to be overwriting the panel file - the packages it is installing during the update do not touch that file (or indeed anything in the /home/pi directory, as Debian frowns on packages changing user files). The only difference between what I am doing and what you are doing is that I am using Etcher on the Mac to write the image to the SD card, and I am not accessing any of the filesystem before I boot it in the Pi for the first time - none of that should make any difference.

So something else on your system is changing that file. You mention setting up SSH - are you running this Pi headless, or are you using a local mouse, keyboard and monitor? Are you sure your SSH client isn't doing something it shouldn't be? I am genuinely baffled by this - not only do I not see the behaviour myself, I cannot for the life of me think of how any of the desktop software - with most of which I am intimately familiar - can be doing this. So it must be something else which is changing things. The fact that you suggested you had multiple panel files earlier makes me wonder if there is something unusual about your hardware setup or the SSH environment - multiple monitors? Anything like that? Because the vanilla image on standard hardware definitely does not do what you are describing; I have tried several times today (and I'd have noticed during my own pre-release testing as well, as I do a lot of changing appearance parameters and checking they work as expected).

billybangleballs

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 pm

I can't imagine what could be causing it, nothing else is connecting to it, it is not intarweb facing, I have a 40" tv, a keyboard, mouse and powered hub. I have done it twice now, and I'm sure I documented it correctly, insomuch as I didn't miss anything out or do it in a different order to that which I described. The fact is that this happens on the first boot after the filesystem is resized and before I do anything with nfs or samba, it is a virgin install. Could it be timing? Am I clicking too quickly? I've been known to move too quickly in minecraft before now...

[email protected]:~/dt $ sha256sum 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full.img 
29b88e98b94aca1dde6bbf5bce3f3a382f7f89f2b166b570587369ddd6109832  2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full.img
I don't know Simon, the problem is it all moves too fast for me, I was just getting the hang of kinkless tetrodes and they went obsolete on me.
You could try getting one of your apprentices to recreate my replication, it might need converting into shorter words with some added LOLs or something, the youngsters today seem to speak a slightly different English to the one I learned.
Grumpy old man.

spl23

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 am

I've just tried again - I wondered if it was something to do with the enabling of SSH or touching the file system before boot. On this occasion, I did everything you mention above (disabling overscan, enabling SSH), with the exception of setting the static IP addresses, and I still get no problem with the taskbar; it goes to the bottom of the screen and stays there.

One thing that might be worth trying just to rule things out - when the image boots, move the taskbar and check the panel file, and then do nothing else at all - leave the wizard untouched; don't close it or interact with it in any way - and just leave the system alone for ten minutes. Then go and look at the panel file and see if it has changed. That would tell us whether it is the wizard or something in the background that is changing the file. My gut feel is that it has to be something else, as I cannot see how the wizard can be doing this - it just doesn't go anywhere near the file in question.

I'd also try re-downloading the image file, just in case, and perhaps trying a different SD card?

billybangleballs

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 am

I've tried 3 different sdcards and they all work the same.
I will re-download the image if the sha256sum I posted above is wrong.
But it will have to wait until this evening.
Grumpy old man.

Return to “Raspbian”