billybangleballs

Discouraged

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm

I apt-got upgraded today and it broke everything, Xorg runs but uses 100% cpu and the entire screen is redrawn 1 pixel at a time and manages about 3 pixels a second. Totally unusable anyway.
I've tried again on a different image and I am at the point where I have to reboot to see if it worked this time or not, the upgrade ended with the following message and an information box telling me how it has overwritten all my settings except for the few it just deleted.

** (zenity:21698): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

I'm pretty discouraged too.
Grumpy old man.
Ex-G0KAP - I'd rather be doing it than talking about it.
"When found, make a note of." - Captain Cuttle

DarkPlatinum

Re: Discouraged

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

TBH, if you don't have any files you need to scavenge off, just rewrite the SD card with a fresh Raspbian build. If you DO, take the files off you need, then rewrite raspbian, then copy paste.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

billybangleballs

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 pm

You're right of course, but I keep expecting these 'upgrades' to get better with time, and I'll not know when they get it right if I don't suffer a trashed system every now and then.
It seems to be that if you are pi and are using the OS with default settings, you can survive an 'update', but if you are not pi and you have dared to alter a config file or two, then you can expect to be overwritten and screwed up.
Grumpy old man.
Ex-G0KAP - I'd rather be doing it than talking about it.
"When found, make a note of." - Captain Cuttle

DarkPlatinum

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 pm

They do, but if you pull the plug without shutting down properly (for example) you can corrupt the filesystem and that can cause problems. You can always run fsck on the current filesystem, just plug the SD card into a linux computer.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

Return to “Raspbian”