DavidS

Programmers Text Editor?

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Is there a simple programmers text editor for Linux? Preferably something in the Raspbian Repos.

I am looking for something like !Zap is on RISC OS. That is a very simple syntax highlighting multi file text editor that has an absolute minimal of extras.

I have not found one despite a lot of searching, I am hoping the flaw is my way of searching. There are a lot of "programmers text editors", though most of them are no where near simple and minimal.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

tpyo kingg

Re: Programmers Text Editor?

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Which ones have you tried?

nano is very simple. However, if you are looking for a graphical editor, then you might look at geany or kate.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:46 pm

I quite like Code Blocks, and the one in the repo has recently been updated to something fairly recent.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Fidelius

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm

DavidS wrote:
I am looking for something like !Zap is on RISC OS. That is a very simple syntax highlighting multi file text editor that has an absolute minimal of extras.
XFCE's Mousepad is similar to !Zap concerning the minimalistic approach. It can search and replace in all opened text files.

MATE's Pluma is more like Guttorm Vik's phantastic !StrongED, but additionally with regular expressions for searching & replacing, so having features from JEdit. Once you're used to these, you don't want to miss them. There's also a plugin to (regularly) search & replace recursively in text files on disc.
(Pluma is Gedit aka Gnome-Edit but with window borders, as with all the MATE programs.)

KDE's Kate goes even further and is the power-tool editor. I think it's one of the most powerful text-editors I've ever seen. It has so many features – a bit too many for me, which is why I use Mousepad for simple programs and Pluma/Gedit for more complex ones. :-)

The mentioned Geany is an IDE, not just a text editor. And the mentioned Code-Blocks I don't know yet.

Btw, Mousepad and Pluma/Gedit use GTK, which is already there with Raspbian's LXDE.
Kate needs some KDE/QT libs so takes more SD space. But does disc-space matter these days.
All my mentioned text editors are in the apt repository.

In the end, I'd strongly advise you to test several of the available GUI text-editors in order to see which one really fits you best. Good luck!
Last edited by Fidelius on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jahboater

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm

What about gedit ?
I have not tried it on a Pi, but on my Linux Mint PC, it a really nice editor with exactly the attributes you want.
Otherwise I just use a home written editor.

DavidS

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Fidelius wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm
DavidS wrote:
XFCE's Mousepad is similar to !Zap concerning the minimalistic approach. It can search and replace in all opened text files.

MATE's Pluma is more like Guttorm Vik's phantastic !StrongED, but additionally with regular expressions for searching & replacing, so having features from JEdit. Once you're used to these, you don't want to miss them. There's also a plugin to (regularly) search & replace recursively in text files on disc.
(Pluma is Gedit aka Gnome-Edit but with window borders, as with all the MATE programs.)

In the end, I'd strongly advise you to test several of the available GUI text-editors in order to see which one really fits you best. Good luck!
Thank you. I will give both of those a try, already installed and opened some source in both, after reading your response..

Pluma looks a little much too similar to the IDE's at first glance, though we will see.

I definitely like Mousepad at first glance, with menu structure that mirrors that of !Zap quite well. Going to have to change the colors, just to feel at home (I do like the black background of !Zap).
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm

MousePad it is, now that I have played with both, and a couple of others I found in the repo.

Thank you much.

Fidelius

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 pm

You're welcome. It's great that you found a text-editor fitting your needs.
Good luck with your ARM Linux search.

lost

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:27 am

DavidS wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm
MousePad it is, now that I have played with both, and a couple of others I found in the repo.
Another simple & efficient editor is nedit. As my raspi is installed headless (thus from a raspbian lite without full graphical interface, only some basic X11 support from xvfb package to use X11 apps on the PI over ethernet using ssh -X magic from a Linux PC!), I also use such uncomplicated X11 apps.

On terminal side, urxvt (aka rvxt-unicode) is with nedit one of my favorites. Much better then xterm & others on lightweight configuration + do not need to get most of a gnome/KDE desktop libraries to run.

HermannSW

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

> Another simple & efficient editor is nedit.
>
I could resist to answer until today ;-)

The editor I use since 1990 is "vi", it was available on any OS at that time, on Unix and Linux, and even on Dos and later Windows.
I still use it inside "Terminal" application, because it (aliased to its modern brother "vim" ) provides syntax highlighting for >500 languages.
(sometimes I use RHEL gedit which seems to be called "leafpad" on newer Stretch Desktop as well)

It is definitely efficient, and simple if you use a meaningful subset of the commands and modes available.
In the office I have a coffee mug from the 90s that provides a vi reference if really needed ;-)
Sometimes reading the reference surprises with commands I never used.
Last edited by HermannSW on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en#raspcatbot
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/raspiraw
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/github_repo_i420toh264

jahboater

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”