lgalex

Packages following Debian stable

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 am

This is a more general question I have concerning packages like firefox-esr (that was, I think, coming from Debian stable and not from the Raspberry Pi foundation) that stopped being updated in Raspbian (even though it is still in Debian stable).

Are they going to be removed from the repo at some point? Maybe only on the next major release?
Is it something that's so rare that it's not really a problem (after all, Debian stable mostly gets stability/security updates)?

I (maybe incorrectly) assumed that if I apt-get install something that is available in the Raspbian repo, it would be updated and safe (the same version as Debian stable).

Thanks

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Packages following Debian stable

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

Generally we do follow debian stable, but sometimes things get snarled up. In this particular case local modifications were blocking the import of a new version of cargo from debian which was blocking the firefox build. I have just unblocked cargo so hopefully it and the new firefox will be built soon.

lgalex

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:13 pm

plugwash wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am
Generally we do follow debian stable, but sometimes things get snarled up. In this particular case local modifications were blocking the import of a new version of cargo from debian which was blocking the firefox build. I have just unblocked cargo so hopefully it and the new firefox will be built soon.
ohh! I was simply curious to know how it works... but know it's even better, my firefox "problem" will be fixed :D

I also wonder if in cases like this it is simply a matter of time before someone looks at the logs and fix the problems or if it's useful to post it in the forum?

Thanks

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 am

It's useful to post, i'm the main developer of raspbian but i'm often guilty of putting all my focus on testing and just expecting stable to sort itself out.

lgalex

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 am

plugwash wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 am
It's useful to post, i'm the main developer of raspbian but i'm often guilty of putting all my focus on testing and just expecting stable to sort itself out.
Ok! that's understandable ;)
Thanks

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:55 am

Unfortunately I am seeing reports that the updated firefox from Debian stable doesn't actually work on arm, so for now I am having to put any updates to it on hold.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:10 pm

plugwash wrote:
Unfortunately I am seeing reports that the updated firefox from Debian stable doesn't actually work on arm, so for now I am having to put any updates to it on hold.

https://www.debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4287

In addition, the new Firefox packages require Rust to build. A compatible Rust toolchain has been backported to Debian stretch, but is not available for all architectures which previously supported the purely C++-based Firefox packages. Thus, the new Firefox packages don't support the armel, armhf, mips, mips64el and mipsel architectures at this point.
Adieu

lgalex

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
plugwash wrote:

In addition, the new Firefox packages require Rust to build. A compatible Rust toolchain has been backported to Debian stretch, but is not available for all architectures which previously supported the purely C++-based Firefox packages. Thus, the new Firefox packages don't support the armel, armhf, mips, mips64el and mipsel architectures at this point.
Oh... that's sad :(

Well, I guess I will have to wait a little longer to have a modern up-to-date browser on Raspbian (yes yes, Vivaldi, I know...)
Thanks anyway

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm

lgalex wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
plugwash wrote:

Oh... that's sad :(

Well, I guess I will have to wait a little longer to have a modern up-to-date browser on Raspbian (yes yes, Vivaldi, I know...)
Thanks anyway

I disagree with "sad", chromium-browser v65 fulfills the purpose of running Flash based Scratch2 on the RPi2 & 3, anything else is a bonus.

kweb can fulfill the roll of watching YT and many other sites etc...

When want to undertake multiple-tab browsing either use my Asus ChromeBit or SmartPhone, the RPi SBC is good but not a "desktop pc" replacement !!
Adieu

lgalex

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm
I disagree with "sad", chromium-browser v65 fulfills the purpose of running Flash based Scratch2 on the RPi2 & 3, anything else is a bonus.

kweb can fulfill the roll of watching YT and many other sites etc...

When want to undertake multiple-tab browsing either use my Asus ChromeBit or SmartPhone, the RPi SBC is good but not a "desktop pc" replacement !!
Yeah, I know that the main purpose of chrome is to run flash for Scratch, but a part of me still doesn't like the idea of a 6 month old browser by default. But I don't really care about flash or scratch either and I understand why things are like this for now.

Return to “Raspbian”