GuiPoM

Unable to boot on USB

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello,

Some month ago I made a video tutorial on my RPI3B (not B+) on how to boot on USB, so avoid the steps of creating an SD card.
I let my RPI aside for some weeks as I am mainly maintaining my installation based on a RPI2 B+ and some days ago I wanted to install latest raspbian (stretch) and install my home automation softwares on it.

Problem: same procedure, same hardware (PI is the same, USB strick is the same) and no boot at all.
I use latest version of etcher to write image, as well as latest version of raspbian.
RPI red light is on, but no green light, actvity led from the usb stick remains on.

When I boot from SD card, I do : vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17
I get back : 17:3020000a

I also tried to increase the boot timeout (program_usb_timeout=1 in config.txt).

I made a quick search but I did not find obvious hints that there is currently an issue with boot from USB, so most probably an issue on my side.

But could you assist me here, maybe there is something obvious I need to do, or, do again ?

Thanks,
GuiPoM

LTolledo

Re: Unable to boot on USB

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:32 pm

if you can edit the cmdline.txt in the /BOOT directory of your USB Stick

can you try adding

Code: Select all

rootdelay=5 
in between rootwait and quiet

elevator=deadline rootwait quiet splash
to

elevator=deadline rootwait rootdelay=5 quiet splash
this one worked for me on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2 no reason why it might not work on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

GuiPoM

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:28 pm

I just tried this option, but is also does not work.
I made a test with my SD card connected into a SD to USB adapter, it works great, so at least I am really sure that OTP is correctly programmed.

My USB stick was working well last time, but I will try to free another one just to check if it could be the issue here....

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 am

If the system is not booting from USB, then it won't be able to read any configuration files from the USB drive. So editing config.txt or cmdline.txt on the USB drive won't fix anything.

Try verify the sha256 of the download to ensure you have a good copy and try writing it again (and don't extract the image, just write the .zip file with Etcher).

If that still doesn't help, format an SD card with the FAT32 file system and copy just the bootcode.bin file from the USB "boot" partition to the SD card, then try the USB boot with the bootcode.bin only SD card in the system.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

GuiPoM

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 am
If the system is not booting from USB, then it won't be able to read any configuration files from the USB drive. So editing config.txt or cmdline.txt on the USB drive won't fix anything.

Try verify the sha256 of the download to ensure you have a good copy and try writing it again (and don't extract the image, just write the .zip file with Etcher).

If that still doesn't help, format an SD card with the FAT32 file system and copy just the bootcode.bin file from the USB "boot" partition to the SD card, then try the USB boot with the bootcode.bin only SD card in the system.
I tried both Etcher and Win32DiskImager. I also used an older version of Etcher, just in case my upgrade to a newer version is the reason.

To clarify: I did the exact same process than I do for USB stick with an SD card: card imaged with Etcher, I put the card in an SD to USB adapter, plugged on a USB port, no SD inserted other than in the adapter itself, and RPI is booting.

So I am pretty sure it IS booting from USB, I assume it is not, or no longer, with the USB sticks I own. That would not have been an issue if some weeks ago, it was working perfectly fine :(

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm

GuiPoM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am
... That would not have been an issue if some weeks ago, it was working perfectly fine :(
Try it with the previous version of Raspbian to see if it's an issue with the newer release.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 018-04-19/
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

crofter

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm

hi
there was a issue with usb boot see blog on new softwhere around 75 plus i think it was ment to be fixed on upgrade

crofter

LTolledo

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Just to clarify, with your RPi3B:

1. microSD boot works
2. OT bit is set
3. with USB flash memory/drive/stick/key, unable to boot
4. with microSD-card-in-microSD-to-USB-adaptor, able to boot.

USB flash memory/drive/stick/key used to work before, but not now.

Your RPi3B is OK
There may be a hardware problem with your failing USB flash memory/drive/stick/key

Have you tried other USB flash memory?

Some people be like:

GuiPoM

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Sorry, I was not notified about the last answers.

Yes, correct.
I tried three distincts flash memory, at least two of them were working before with my RPI.
The only USB component which is working is this microSD to USB adaptor, which is I guess a pretty good sign that the RPI as it is is able to boot on USB.

I will try to find another USB drive, maybe an HDD to USB adaptator, just to check if it is working, or not.
I tried older images of raspbian, it dit not helped to improve my boot options !

LTolledo

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 am

2.5" HDDs in bus powered USB cases takes a lot of power from the USB ports, and may not boot at all. tried that already, several times.
2.5" HDDs and/or 3.5" HDDs in 12V self powered HDD enclosures may boot.

the only time I was able to HDD boot my RPi3B was during my USB boot trials.

1. HDD: Marshall 1TB 2.5"
2. Connector: Eluteng SATA to USB3.0 adaptor

also
1. HDD: Marshall 1TB 2.5"
2. HDD case: Orico Clear HDD case USB3.0

It still boots OK when I connect it sometimes.

when I used Seagate Barracuda, 1TB or 2TB, on either connector or HDD case, RPi3B failed to boot.
even just connecting it to a booted up RPi3B, system freezes, requires reboot without the seagate HDD.
even if setting max_usb_current=1, still no go!

If you can afford it, better go with SSDs. The're better, faster and lighter, doesnt require much power during bootup, but a bit more expensive per GB.

Some people be like:

Return to “Raspbian”