freefish

Please remove broken mirror from mirrordirector

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 am

It's been a long time since we couldn't update packages from opencas.cn, but the raspbian official mirrordirector still targets opencas.cn. Please remove opencas.cn from the official mirrordirector.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Please remove broken mirror from mirrordirector

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 am

hmm, mirror seems ok to me.

freefish

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 am

plugwash wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 am
hmm, mirror seems ok to me.
please ping mirrors.opencas.cn

superace

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 am

Hi,
If you search a bit on the forum, ( I think under General discussion ) there is some information about this problem.
I have talked to the opencas support engineers. Really friendly and if I understood correctly this is what they say:
The opencas mirror is hosted on a server in a Chinese university. These parts of this server and most of their network only supports IPV6 address schemes and IPV4 is disabled. Why? No idea. Why is this a problem? The Internet Service providers in China does not support IPV6 in their network. If you want to try you can try to load ipv6.baidu.com and if you are in China you most likely will fail.

I am in Beijing and Raspberry updates are really messed up now with this situation. The opencas engineer said he would try to enable IPV4 but he was not sure the university would agree.

The work-around is to edit some mirror files locally on your PI and hope for the best.

I do not believe this situation will change in a reasonable time frame.

pcmanbob

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:11 am

If you look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=63&t=212935#p1312416 which I think is the one superace is talking about , it will suggest how to fix the problem so your pi does not use that mirror.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

superace

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 am

Update:
I talked again today with the opencas engineer and they will contact raspberry about this problem. They have other mirror servers that does not suffer from this limitation with ipv4 so hopefully there will be an update in the directory pointing to a new mirror still managed by Opencas.

To manually edit the mirror site information is only a temporary fix because not all mirrors have all packages so the result is a bit like fishing.... Edit, try, not available, Edit again, try and so on.

Best is of course a permanent fix once and for all.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for the information.

I have confirmed that the mirror does not have an ipv4 address and have reconfigured the mirror redirection system so that only ipv6 clients will be sent to that mirror.

Does this solve your problems?

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:46 pm

It would be much nicer if the mirror director tried the next mirror if it did not work
It's was an absolute pain for me with mythicbeast being ipv6 only.
(In the uk, but ipv6 would not work through our servers somewhere)
Thankfully it's moved from there now.

One of the excellent reasons to have multiple mirrors.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm

bensimmo wrote:
It would be much nicer if the mirror director tried the next mirror if it did not work
The mirror director just looks up the requested file and the clients location in a database and returns a redirect. There is a mechanism in place to disable broken mirrors but it only works if the mirror is broken from our servers point of view, if the mirror is working from our servers point of view but broken from your point of view then the mirror director has no means of knowing that.

The mirror director does actually send information about alternative mirrors alongside the redirect but apt currently has no mechanism to use this information. Raphel Gissert has talked about adding support but it seems never got around to actually doing so https://lists.debian.org/deity/2014/04/msg00098.html.
Hmm, mirror.mythic-beasts.com seems to be dual stack to me.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm

plugwash wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm
bensimmo wrote:
The mirror director just looks up the requested file and the clients location in a database and returns a redirect. There is a mechanism in place to disable broken mirrors but it only works if the mirror is broken from our servers point of view, if the mirror is working from our servers point of view but broken from your point of view then the mirror director has no means of knowing that.

The mirror director does actually send information about alternative mirrors alongside the redirect but apt currently has no mechanism to use this information. Raphel Gissert has talked about adding support but it seems never got around to actually doing so https://lists.debian.org/deity/2014/04/msg00098.html.
Hmm, mirror.mythic-beasts.com seems to be dual stack to me.
At the time mythic-beasts only gave me ipv6 access as it did other, maybe they have changed. I have no idea, but it was always ipv6 addresses given. It did shift a bit back after Raspbian changed the settings (a few months back, I could check but when people started having apt install problems as they hadn't refreshed with apt update after the upgraded)
Our ISP does not support ipv6, they see no need to give us one as they have "plenty of ipv4 left, so will not bother until they run out"
Given this is brand new FTTH connections and infrastructure and an effective monopoly over our city and surroundings.
I had to keep apt update(information) until it gave a different mirror.
There have been other with ipv6 problems to on the forums.

I do realise there is not a lot you can do, but the annoyance of what should be in anything using mirrors in a world where torrent or multiple servers setups are normal.
Luckily I could use the force ipv4, but always forgot what it was after a new setup.
(Yes I do see some irony, given the fact I still cannot get a 20odd year old standard from an ISP.)
:-(

Shame Raphael hasn't updated apt technology and usability in the past 4 years.
Given it would have eased my problem, this problem and the other similar mirror down problems people have had.

freefish

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 am

First of all, thanks to opencas for providing services. However, I personally think that it is not selfish to either provide services or provide services that can be used by all, so that other users can modify the mirror address? Friends of opencas website, they want to use their own server, they modify /etc/apt/sources.list well. Please do not make other users difficult.

epoch1970

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 am

You can still block or locally resolve any domain to anywhere.
Use your dns server or add entries in /etc/hosts.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Raspbian”