alphanumeric

Raspbian + Pi3B+ = low voltgae warning?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm

I just recently swapped out a 3B for a 3B+. Did up a fresh Micro SD card with the latest Raspbian, then did the usual sudo apt-get update and upgrade. Did them both twice actually. Everything seemed fine. Put that Pi away for a week or two.
I just fired it up again today and got the flashing lightning bolt? I hadn't noticed this after the original fresh install.
Checked my voltage at the GPIO and it was just a little under 4.9V. 4.86, 4.89 fluctuating a little bit. Power supply is 5V at 10A.
Scratching my head I did another sudo apt-get update and upgrade. No more warnings? So is this a glitch (false warning) in Raspbian for the 3B+ that's fixed by an update upgrade? If yes, any plans to roll this fix into a new release?
If there is a sticky on this I missed it, haven't found it yet?

piglet

Re: Raspbian + Pi3B+ = low voltgae warning?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm
Power supply is 5V at 10A.
See comments here

Most likely the cable, or the supply not really being what it says it is.

alphanumeric

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm

https://www.adafruit.com/product/658 plugged into this, https://www.adafruit.com/product/610. Then good quality USB cables feed my Pi and 7 inch touch screen via their respective micro USB power jacks. I had a 2B and 3B in there with no issues.
It's only happened after swapping the 3B with a 3B+ and redoing my SD card. And now that I have updated and upgraded, again, the warning has gone away?

PeterO

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

The 3B+ needs the latest firmware as the way the low voltage detection circuity works has changed.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

alphanumeric

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I must have not been paying attention when I first set it up? I don't remember seeing any warnings? I had it on for a while too. I did all the usual keyboard, time zone, wifi setup etc. I do remember having to do the apt-get update twice in order to install xscreensaver. One run through wasn't enough for some reason? Just one of those things I guess. Seems to be fine now.
A 10A power supply may well be overkill but this is my bread boarding rig. A Pi 3B+, Pi foundation display, speakers and analog audio amp, and a few other odds and ends. I also have a 4A version of that same power supply I use some times. I wanted extra capacity to run multiple motors, servo's, LED's etc. The whole idea was to prevent said warning from ever showing up.
Anyway thanks for the feed back guys.

Return to “Raspbian”