Doctorwho8

The usbbootgui functiion

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:33 am

Hello!
Earlier this year, the firm announced that the same OS we use on the Pi would also exist as one for our main computers. Further they'd also have installed a program to work with a Pi Zero and use its GPIO pins the same as if it was doing all of the job with a card installed.

Further the blog entry also implied that we could do this on the Pi itself.

Okay how? What dated release for the OS contains it? Every time I even ask the apt-get routines to try and find it, they do not. (This is on the Pi.) By contrast the one on the desktop release confirms that it is up to date.

I also grabbed an image dated 4-18, but I've not had a chance to commit it to a card.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

PeterO

Re: The usbbootgui functiion

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 am

It might help if you told us what "it" is exactly !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

LetHopeItsSnowing

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 am

You dont have to do anything with the Pi itself. Although the Pi does have to be a Pi Zero or Pi Zero W.

If you have installed the latest Raspbian x86 desktop image on your computer when you connect a Pi Zero (w) without and sd card via USB (connected to the USB on the Pi not the power) your computer will detect your Pi zero and you can connect to it.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

hippy

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm

LetHopeItsSnowing wrote:
If you have installed the latest Raspbian x86 desktop image on your computer when you connect a Pi Zero (w) without and sd card via USB (connected to the USB on the Pi not the power) your computer will detect your Pi zero and you can connect to it.
I think the OP wants to know how one makes this work when it's not an X86 PC running the Desktop but another Pi in its place -

Code: Select all

.---------.
 | PC with |        .---------.
 | Desktop |  <=== [| Pi Zero |
/___________\       `---------'
`-----------'

.---------.
 |         |        .---------.
 | Main Pi |  <=== [| Pi Zero |
 |         |        `---------'
 `---------'

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm

LetHopeItsSnowing wrote:
You dont have to do anything with the Pi itself. Although the Pi does have to be a Pi Zero or Pi Zero W.

Please do not call it Raspbian x86, the x86 offering is Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop....
Adieu

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm

sudo apt update
sudo apt install usbbootgui

http://bennuttall.com/raspberry-pi-zero-gpio-expander/
Adieu

Doctorwho8

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 pm

The "it" refers to the downloaded image.

The desktop contains the function. The blog mentions that this function works on the desktop, but that it is also available for the PI.

I am trying to track down what is involved with bringing the function to the regular OS on the Pi.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Doctorwho8 wrote:

The desktop contains the function. The blog mentions that this function works on the desktop, but that it is also available for the PI.

I am trying to track down what is involved with bringing the function to the regular OS on the Pi.

The link I linked to above explains :shock:
Adieu

bensimmo

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm
Doctorwho8 wrote:

The link I linked to above explains :shock:
This :-) and the blog post he is probably taking about https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/gpio-expander/

Doctorwho8

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 am

Hello!
Actually the blog doesn't mention that the user (me) should also have upgraded to Stretch on the Pi before attempting this. Point of fact, I was able to find via Google several sites who explained how to upgrade from 8 to 9 of Debian, on Intel of course, and Google itself suggested doing the same for the Pi. And I found two blogs who provided much the same information there.

Since both contained the same information within reason, I ended up using the second of the two, and off I went.

And now I've got it.

I believe we should create a FAQ or something of sort, regarding what questions to ask, and the expected answers regarding this flavor of Debian.

As it happens I come from a completely different world here when it comes from Linux. No not Red Hat or Fedora, but the oldest of them all, Slackware.

I'd say we are done here, and can consider the issue closed.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

bensimmo

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 am

That blog mentions Stretch quite a few times.
It also links to https://github.com/raspberrypi/usbbootgui so you can DIY it on something else maybe.

I believe though it was designed around using something more powerful, hence x86 PC/Mac being the target.
But later it mentions the Pi.
Whether on a Mac, PC, or Pi, boot through to the Stretch desktop, open a terminal window, and install the GPIO expander application:

sudo apt install usbbootgui
Next, plug in your Raspberry Pi Zero (don’t insert an SD card), and after a few seconds the GUI will appear.
But I guess they wouldn't mind any feedback.
Not sure if they read here, the blog comments or github, for feedback.

Hope you find it useful :-)

Return to “Raspbian”