bonami2

Why is raspbian seem dead?

Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi all.

Am wondering why raspbian as not improved in the last 3 years.

Browser still crap.
Mouse acceleeration bug still there.

Lot of other small bug that could be fixed easily.

How many people are working on it?

topguy

Re: Why is raspbian seem dead?

Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Browser still crap.
The browser is just fine... its the hardware that is too limited for todays web-pages. 1GB memory is a huge bottleneck.
You want to browse the internet, buy a "real" computer.

gkreidl

Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 pm

And there is no "mouse acceleration bug". Some wireless Mouse/keyboard combos don't work well with the default settings, but this can easily be solved with a command line switch.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

bonami2

Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 am

Says that to my windows 10 2 in 1 computer running on 2gb fine with 32gb flash. I play game on that thing. Recent stuff.

Swap file option are available on linux i think.

And for the command line fix for mouse keyboard. It should be in the mouse option tab.

Imperf3kt

Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 am

2GB is not 1 GB plus it likely has a dedicated GPU - which the Pi does not, so shares the RAM for that also.

Alas, I have no problems browsing one webpage. Chromium use has improved vastly this year alone.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

droleary

Tue May 22, 2018 2:00 am

bonami2 wrote:
So fix them. You've had 3 years to do something, but instead sat idly by "wondering"?
2015 called . . .

handsomegenius

Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 am

Looks like it's being updated all the time from what I can see. There was a whole new version just the other month.

The browser works perfectly for me for basic lounge room use like bandcamp and youtube and podcasts and so on.

I only really have one tab open at a time though - because ateotd it's a $30 board for projects and tinkering and messing around.

For actual work, I use my laptop.

One cool trick for when the browser hangs is to set up ssh so that you can log in on your phone and reboot it from the command line. It's been ages since I've had to do that though.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 am

bonami2 wrote:
Hi all.

Browser still crap.

Why do you think writing a troll post will improve things?

Take a look at the GitHub account that our kernel is built from. Thousands of changes over the last 3 years.

Add in the many thousands of changes made to the Rasbian distro, and you can clearly see there has been a huge amount of work done.

If you are going to troll, at least get your facts right.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

topguy

Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 am

That not how trolling works :D

jamesh

Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am

topguy wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 am
That not how trolling works :D
Good point....
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bonami2

Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 am

jamesh wrote:
bonami2 wrote:
Hi all.

Browser still crap.

Take a look at the GitHub account that our kernel is built from. Thousands of changes over the last 3 years.

Add in the many thousands of changes made to the Rasbian distro, and you can clearly see there has been a huge amount of work done.

Aint here to troll.

Would fix and help if i was good enough for that kind of stuff. Am an hardware guy not software.

Ton of update you says. So why the main os is the same as when i had a pi single core like 4 years ago....

Raspbian as about the same power a a old pc with xp. But it so far behind in the software side....

Sure it open source so no one is paid to work on it. But i dont understand why it aint improving. More software preinstalled. Better Video playback. Etc.

ghans

Wed May 23, 2018 4:34 am

You would get better help if you can tell us exactly what doesn't work. But saying Raspbian isn't being improved constantly is blatantly wrong. New features and new software have been added regularly. The browsers have been improved regularly. The performance was boosted multiple times (Raspbian itself was created to beat Debian armel on performance). Bugs are being fixed right and left. The UI itself has been overhauled completely since 2012 to improve usability. New Raspbian versions have followed Debian releases with little delay (Raspbian is based on Debian), mostly becuase the foundation actually tests new releases ! The foundation pays actual software engineers with open-source experience to do this.

Could it be that you don't regulary update ? Just try those two commands for fun:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Please note that the first command only fetches a list of upgradeable software. The second one is where all the fun happens.

You would be sell advised to regularly run both commands. Security upgrades are mostly distributed in this manner to all Raspbian users worldwide.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 23, 2018 5:30 am

bonami2 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
bonami2 wrote:
Hi all.

Browser still crap.

Aint here to troll.

Would fix and help if i was good enough for that kind of stuff. Am an hardware guy not software.

Ton of update you says. So why the main os is the same as when i had a pi single core like 4 years ago....

Raspbian as about the same power a a old pc with xp. But it so far behind in the software side....

Sure it open source so no one is paid to work on it. But i dont understand why it aint improving. More software preinstalled. Better Video playback. Etc.

Jeez since 2012

Debian ARMEL
Raspbian Wheezy
Raspbian Jessie
Raspbian Stretch

Considering Stretch was only released August 2017 how can you say 3/4 years still the same ??

Maybe you are still running Wheezy ???

https://linuxconfig.org/check-what-debi ... nux-system
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jamesh

Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am

bonami2 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
bonami2 wrote:
Hi all.

Browser still crap.

Aint here to troll.

The main OS ISN'T the same as it was 4 yours ago! We've done 3 major iterations (as posted above) in that time. Why on earth would you think that it's the same? The desktop does look the same (deliberately), but has had continual underlying improvement - you may not see them, but they are there.

There is a limit to what software can achieve if the hardware is mostly still the same. This is particular evident in browser stuff. We do have work being done on improving all that stuff, but it's very difficult and takes time.

For example, it's the same H264 decoder, it has the same amount of memory, means the same limitations.

What do you mean by more software preinstalled? We deliberately don't include huge amounts of software to ensure the images are small (ish). You can simply install any number of packages very easily using apt? So not sure what you are saying here.

As for 'behind' on the software sign, I don't really understand what you mean. Apart from browsing (which as above, is constrained by the HW and the terrible memory hungry web pages that designers seem to think we need), everything seems pretty good to me.

jahboater

Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am

bonami2 wrote:
The Raspbian kernel is version 4.14 which must have taken quite a lot of work by the RPF engineers.

For comparison, my Odroid-C2 uses kernel 3.14

epoch1970

Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 pm

bonami2 wrote:
Do you sometimes use other linux desktop distributions? How do you rate the UX on these compared to say, a modern Win or OSX?
Open source does not mean "no monnies" either.
The difference is in the ethos of the development process. I think there is a tiny subscript in there that says "try fixing things yourself, and share".
Like these guys.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

ghans

Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Raspbian images have grown in size and the desktop appeareance has changed quite a bit since 2012 though ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh

Wed May 23, 2018 12:11 pm

ghans wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm
Raspbian images have grown in size and the desktop appeareance has changed quite a bit since 2012 though ...

ghans
They have, the cost of improving the user experience.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed May 23, 2018 12:20 pm

1) You've found are a mouse acceleration bug that you haven't reported and apparently hasn't bothered anybody else enough to report it.
2) Modern browsers aren't going to perform great with 1GB of RAM.
3) "small bugs that could easily be fixed" (which again, you haven't reported).
4) It doesn't come with everything you want pre-installed.

If I could find an OS which after 3 years of use only had those problems, I'd say that's a great accomplishment. Thank you for the kind feedback.

jahboater

Wed May 23, 2018 1:23 pm

I have used UNIX from around 1982 and later Linux of course to the present day.
Countless distros and platforms.

Raspbian is one of the best.
It has no annoyances for me (apart from being 32-bit only :) ).
It is solid, reliable, well engineered.
It stands out.
Thanks to the RPF engineering team.

jamesh

Wed May 23, 2018 1:26 pm

jahboater wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:23 pm
I have used UNIX from around 1981 and later Linux of course to the present day.
Countless distros and platforms.

Raspbian is one of the best.
It has no annoyances for me (apart from being 32-bit only :) ).
It is solid, reliable, well engineered.
It stands out.
Thanks to the RPF engineering team.
Not just us. Most of it is upstream kernel/apps, we just tweak it where we can/need to. There's a lot of very skilled people working on that kernel outside our little bubble!

droleary

Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm

bonami2 wrote:
Aint here to troll.
All evidence is to the contrary. After not posting for 3 years, all you seem to be offering after coming back is negativity.
First you say you know the software fixes would be easy, then you say you don't know much about software. That's called being a troll.
It's not like the OS was written just to run on an old RPi. You do know that Linux has long supported multiprocessor and multicore systems, right? There are a lot of things that could be changed about the RPi hardware and it would still run the "same" OS.
More software preinstalled. Better Video playback. Etc.
Where are you reading that the mission of the RPF is to simply ship a computer with more software or do some more fancy forms of video processing? If the RPi as it is isn't up to whatever tasks you have in mind, go find a computer that works for you. Until then, stop trolling.

jamesh

Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 pm

I think that's enough.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”