bothyrider

Best Desktop Linux

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:12 am

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it.....

I am playing with a Pi running Raspbian Wheezy. I would like to set up linux as a dual boot OS on an existing windows laptop, so I can store more stuff, run applications faster, etc. So, what is the best version of Linux to install on a laptop for maximum compatability with the Pi? Is it Debian Wheezy :?:

Thanks.

Sander

Re: Best Desktop Linux

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 am

"Best Desktop Linux" is a dangerous question. The best answer is "it depends". But even then, it will often result in a distro war.

Having said that:
Yes, Debian is probably close. However, I use Ubuntu on my laptop, and it's close too, and very user friendly.

teeth_03

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:38 pm

You are not going to find a version that will be compatible at all unless you happen to have a laptop running an ARM CPU which you most likely do not...

bothyrider

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

ghans

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Some linux distros run on the Pi and on normal Laptops ... but you cannot mix program files from
the Pi version with the laptop version ! You will need to handle them like two different operating systems.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

malakai

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 pm

One for myself is there can be tiny differences in commands so it can get confusing this really all depends on kernel and such. I know CentOS is extremely popular with a lot of businesses in the US along with Red Hat. Fedora is ok it is a build of Red Hat one thing I didn't like was all the constant updates things worked then didn't every day there was an update to something it seemed. (This is just my experience.) It's fun to try them all but it depends on what end experience you want. To get a job someday use the one's geared for business.

The other is KDE desktop or Gnome or something else you may not notice what version of Linux your running if you just choose a different gui. Post what you get and what you think of it would be nice to know your take on it in the end. :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

chrisw2

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

bothyrider wrote:... maximum compatability with the Pi? Is it Debian Wheezy :?:
In a word, yes. Install debian & the same desktop as you use on your Pi. As compatible as you can get, why complicate things with the quirks of another distro & desktop?

Tanga

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

The windows manager controls menu behaviour, appearance, keyboard shortcuts, etc, so you might want to keep that the same too. LXDE is what it's called. :)
Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) Tutorials by a fellow noob:
http://noobsquared.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Raspbian”