Mequa

Hardware-accelerated Midori?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum (if not, please move it), but Raspbian with HF support seems the best platform for this.

Given that the Raspberry Pi seems to work best with Midori browser, based on Webkit (and although Chromium is also available but suffers from major performance issues), I noticed that Midori on Raspbian with hard float (and adjustable overclock) seems the best environment for web browsing on the Raspberry Pi.

However, hardware-accelerated X drivers are not available, which severely hinders performance in Midori. I was wondering if it would be possible to produce a fork of Midori which bypasses X entirely, using hardware acceleration on the Raspberry Pi in full-screen mode similar to how XBMC does with the GPU.

This could provide a full-screen hardware-accelerated Webkit browser, with UI features such as the browser bar, tabs, and an optional on-screen keyboard; providing the fastest browsing experience for the Raspberry Pi.

Perhaps it could also be made to boot directly from SD image, such as with RaspBMC (or they could be combined into a combo SD).

Any interests in such a proposal?

Tanga

Re: Hardware-accelerated Midori?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 am

I've no idea about hardware acceleration, but I found that Iceape works better than Midori (you actually have some CPU left, even with a couple of tabs open). You can install it in Raspbian by typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get iceape
at the prompt. Maybe a stop-gap until the hardware acceleration can happen.
Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) Tutorials by a fellow noob:
http://noobsquared.blogspot.com.au/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 am

A while back a colleague produced a version of webkit that used OpenVG as its backend, running on Videocore3. However, the end result wasn't that much faster than pure software rendering for a number of technical reasons that I cannot remember.

Probably better to wait for X acceleration to be done. It's in progress,
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

dancytron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 pm

There is a version of netsurf that you can compile that runs in the frame buffer. Pretty fast. But there is stuff wrong with it and it wasn't stable, for me at least.

Mequa

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

jamesh wrote:Probably better to wait for X acceleration to be done. It's in progress,
Is there a link to a blog on the current state of progress?

I noticed Broadcom GPU drivers have been open-sourced, which might help.

portets

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 am

Mequa wrote:Is there a link to a blog on the current state of progress?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4649

shivamidow

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:56 am

Return to “Raspbian”