84ace

Ignite Realtime: Openfire Install HELP!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Can anyone tell me how to get openfire going?

I have tried the Wheezy hard-float image with open-JRE and the Wheezy soft-float image with sun-java-7. I have had to make a few changes to get it to install on both. In each case it looks like it installs fine but when i start it from /etc/init.d there is no message to say it has started, in fact there is nothing at all, just a new command prompt line. When i check to see what is running and what ports are open there is nothing openfire related.

Any ideas or tips?

thanks,
Acea

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Ignite Realtime: Openfire Install HELP!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18 pm

not going to answer your actual question :) as i'm not really a big fan of java or java based xmpp servers (openfire, tigase,...) and this is probably no help at all but depending on your needs i'd either use prosody or ejabberd for an xmpp server on the raspi.

ejabberd is pretty much these days the "reference" server but it's a bit of a PITA to configure, prosody is very light weight but not as full functioned but covers most things an xmpp server needs to do.

i'm currently running ejabberd on one of my raspi's (going to blog about it in the near future) and i used prosody on the raspi for a few weeks with no problem.

so unless you really do need something that only openfire does i'd use something else

84ace

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 am

Mate,

Thanks for the tips. I checked out prosody and ejabberd. Prosody was very light weight but it does not seem to do what i need it to, unfortunately. I couldn't get ejabberd to install or compile. I guess i will search and lurk.

Cheers.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:30 pm

what's the problem with ejabberd? i've tried both the version in the repository and one i built myself and both worked fine. ejabberd is a bit more complicated to setup as the config files are all weird looking :) but it does work once it's setup.

and if it's not a secret what are you trying to do? not to toot my own horn i do know a tiny bit about xmpp, i read the xmpp rfc's for fun :D

vmkivinen

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I think openfire might be looking for the JRE in the wrong location. I had the same problem with a Debian box. Try adding the following line in the first (uncommented) if statement of /etc/init.d/openfire

Code: Select all

t=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java && test -d $t && JAVA_HOME=$t
Please let my know if this works for you :)

84ace

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:38 am

ukscone wrote:what's the problem with ejabberd? i've tried both the version in the repository and one i built myself and both worked fine. ejabberd is a bit more complicated to setup as the config files are all weird looking :) but it does work once it's setup.

and if it's not a secret what are you trying to do? not to toot my own horn i do know a tiny bit about xmpp, i read the xmpp rfc's for fun :D
@ukscone
I have been pretty busy with work so i haven't had any time to play with my pi lately. I have forgotten what the error was with ejabberd, I will try to install openfire again and see how i go now that vmkivinen has suggested a fix, if that fails i will try ejabberd again and let you know what the problem is. All that i am trying to do is publish location co-ordinates via xmpp to the server and back to other clients.

@vmkivinen
I will try that and let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice.

DotNetSkills

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I really need instructions on how to get any XMPP server running on a Raspi. I dont really care which server because i will not need alot of features. No authentication and only one chat room/conversation. I am a Windows guy and not any experience with Linux. Please be nice. I am a developer but only in the corp world and only with Microsoft tech. I want to build a simple appliance to plug into a wireless router to allow messaging at a remote restoration site when we are patching a cut fiber optic cable during an emergency. I will use SMACK to build an Android app to connect my techs to the Raspi Jabber server. Or if you have a better solution. I need it to boot and work.

Thanks in advance.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:21 pm

prosody http://prosody.im/ works pretty well & is really easy to install. I have it running on one of my raspis as the basis of a project i'm working on (very very slowly as i keep getting sidetracked). it's in the raspbian repos. once you've installed it read http://prosody.im/doc/configure and you'll be up and running in a couple of minutes

papimigas

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 am

Hi

I successfully installed openfire server on Raspberry.
It's working well!

You can see here on my blog:
http://papimigas.com/raspberry/raspberry-social-server/
Use google translator to translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

Hope it helps!
Last edited by papimigas on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

antharas

Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

default-jre is missing ,Which version of jre should now be installed?

papimigas

Mon May 05, 2014 7:08 am

Hi

Version 6

antharas

Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 am

papimigas wrote:Hi

Version 6
Hi,I'm a newbie. apt-get what is jre version 6? sorry for my bad english :)
openfire 3.9.2 support jre7 now?

papimigas

Mon May 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi :)

Well, I suppose you are using Ubuntu so, which version?

From my experience and since the openfire server and plugins I used on this project are quite old I recommend version 6 of JRE. You can test with version 7 but you might feel some troubles.
To install version 6 do this:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

Thank you!

antharas

Fri May 09, 2014 6:04 am

Installation was successful.
But the file transfer speed is very slow, sometimes disconnected.

antharas

Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 am

papimigas wrote:Hi :)

Well, I suppose you are using Ubuntu so, which version?

From my experience and since the openfire server and plugins I used on this project are quite old I recommend version 6 of JRE. You can test with version 7 but you might feel some troubles.
To install version 6 do this:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

Thank you!
I'm using raspbian ,so I changed sources.list

papimigas

Tue May 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Oh, It´s Debian, ofcourse.
I do this a lot on Ubuntu, sorry. But in this case, it's the same command.

Glad you made it :)

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”