JollyRoger

You must try Bodhi!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:01 am

This distro is named after the bodhi tree, and it rhymes with Jody. Its desktop is called Enlightenment, and it’s this that’s implemented on the Raspberry Pi.

If you have a spare SD card, you really should give the Bodhi desktop a whirl. I spotted it a few weeks ago in the list of RPi distributions in the Wiki, and thought I’d try it. I’m now a convinced convert, and use it instead of LXDE. It’s fast, and some things run better in it. For example, I could never get omxplayer to work properly in LXDE, whereas in Enlightenment you simply right-click the movie in the file manager, choose ‘Open with OMXPlayer’, and away it goes.

Bodhi Linux is based on Ubuntu, but the Raspberry Pi implementation of Enlightenment is based on Raspbian. A sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade will get you all the latest Raspbian goodies (including the possibility of overvolting and overclocking – but don’t add overvolt/overclock commands to your config.txt file until you’ve done this upgrade!) You can also use the raspi-config utility to set the time zone etc, but DON’T use raspi-config to expand the file system to fill the SD card. I tried this (twice, on different SD cards) and it messed up the image - use Gparted instead.

Unlike LXDE, passwords are not turned off in Enlightenment. To turn them off, you need to add the following line to the /etc/sudoers file:
pi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
(If you’re not sure, have a look at /etc/sudoers in LXDE, where this line has been added.)

The Bodhi image doesn’t include many applications, but it’s easy to install the ones you want from Bodhi’s own website. Alternatively you can use Synaptic to install them – Synaptic is already installed, and although rather heavyweight, it runs at more of a lick in Enlightenment than in LXDE.

In my opinion Enlightenment falls short of LXDE in two respects – and both of these shortcomings are easily rectified:
1. You can’t enlarge or embolden the font used in the terminal, which ideally you need to be able to do when using a TV (even one with hdmi input). The simple solution is to download LXTerminal and use this instead of Enlightenment’s Terminology – LXTerminal allows you to change fonts as well as the terminal foreground and background (go to Edit > Preferences). But don’t uninstall Terminology, as it’s used elsewhere in Enlightenment.
2. There is no visual cpu usage indicator on the panel. To rectify this, use Synaptic to download a module called cpu, and then install this on the panel (or ‘shelf’, as it’s called in Enlightenment).

With these tweaks, Bodhi’s Enlightenment is a great desktop for the Raspberry Pi. It’s highly configurable, though this means you face a bit of a learning curve. However, there’s nothing daunting, and the documentation is first rate. I enjoyed getting to grips with Enlightenment – and I’m not a Linux expert.

The Bodhi download is at http://bodhilinux.com/downloads_mobile.php.

Heater

Re: You must try Bodhi!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm confused.

If this Bodhi is based on Ubuntu that implies to me it is not all built for hardware floating point support like Raspian is. That means performance is not up there with Raspian for anything that uses floating point a lot.

If the Enlightenment is from Raspian I'm a) suprised it works at all or B) Suspicious that somewhere along the line something is broken. Mixing up soft float and hard float binaries sounds like a bad idea.

Then, why not just apt-get install Enlightenment on a Raspian install. Surely that world work just as well. perhaps with a bit of config effort.

Finally, Ubuntu gives me nothing but problems on desk top PC's especially when wanting to install or develop non-mainstream stuff. I would never consider it for the Pi. Debian and Raspian work just fine anyway and have massive support.

However, it's good to hear that Enlightenment works so well on a Pi.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Heater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Hmm...

OK From the Bodhi download page it seems this is built for ARM HArd Float armhf.

May have to give it a try.

My gut tells me I'd still be better off if it was just an install from Raspian though.

Heater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm

OK. Perhaps, I should learn to read, or at least not to post before I wake up properly:
Bodhi Linux is based on Ubuntu, but the Raspberry Pi implementation of Enlightenment is based on Raspbian.
Sounds more and more interesting.

JollyRoger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm

It is built for armhf, and it uses the Raspbian kernel. But you must install it from the Bodhi site on a fresh SD card, then do a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. Don't ask me why - I'm not an expert.

Heater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:35 pm

So I'm still confused. It has a Raspian kernel. But Raspian is much more than that it's the whole Debian distro for hard float.

So, if I install Bodhi, and then do an "apt-get install something", where is it going to get "something" from? I'd like it to be from the Raspian sources so that I'm on the same page as everyone else.

JollyRoger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 pm

It is from Raspian sources. Enlightenment for the Raspberry Pi (which you will be running if you download Bodhi) is a Raspbian desktop, just like LXDE, using the same repositories.

Heater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:27 pm

So what is the difference between Bodhi and an "apt-get install e16" on my existing Raspian or perhaps an "apt-get install bodhi" if there were such a thing:)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

The impression I get from reading the blog post and having a quick poke arround their repos is that the system is mostly raspbian but with a few customised packages from the bodhi guys including their own version of enlightenment.

Heater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Any chance of tweaking with apt sources or something to get their customized packages into Raspian?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 pm

According to their bloc post the sources.list line you need is

deb http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/ debian stable

JollyRoger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:13 pm

I need to make a slight correction to my original post. Regarding Terminology, you can change the fonts, what you can't change are the foreground and background colours. Because of this, the text looks washed out on a TV (at least it does on my TV), hence the need for LXTerminal, which gives I can tweak to give bright easy-to-read lettering.

Alvaro

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:22 am

I am getting so sick and tired of spam like this. This is a Raspbian forum, so take it somewhere else. While I find Arch fanboys slightly annoying with their "I use arch" comments everywhere, the systematic Bodhi spam is even worse. In fact I am less annoyed by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Alvaro wrote:I am getting so sick and tired of spam like this. This is a Raspbian forum, so take it somewhere else. While I find Arch fanboys slightly annoying with their "I use arch" comments everywhere, the systematic Bodhi spam is even worse. In fact I am less annoyed by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I did in fact do undertake the proper procedure and report this post as in wrong Forum, but no action was taken.

BODHI ARMHF was released prior to latest Raspbian release..................
I know everything about nothing"

Heater

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:24 pm

What do you mean "spam" and wrong forum/thread.

We have just determined that Bodhi is based on Raspian and that it may well be quite possible to install the Bodhi packaes onto a stock Raspian installation.

In the first case it is a Raspian fork and kicking of discussion of it here is quite appropriate.

In the later case it is just a package for Raspian and again discussion belongs here.

I would agree that if the thing diverges from Raspian enough then perhaps it would be useful for it to have it's own thread/forum.

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Heater wrote: I would agree that if the thing diverges from Raspian enough then perhaps it would be useful for it to have it's own thread/forum

Good place to post Operating Systems - OTHER

The other section will find alternative Distros, ArmedSlack et al so it is the correct place for Bodhi.

Bodhi was based of Debian ArmHF as was Raspbian.......... http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Assuming a bodhi for Pi system is mostly raspbian (which afaict is the case) then IMO it is perfectly appropriate to discuss it here.

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 pm

I must admit I am wrong and an idiot "Our RaspBerry Pi build is built directly on top of Raspbian and incorporates all of their changes and improvements"

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.co.at/2012 ... armhf.html

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Debian armhf WILL NOT run on the Pi

From reading the forum post and it's comments and poking arround their repo my understanding of what is going on is that bohdi build their custom packages for armv6 hardfloat then combine these packages with a raspbian or debian armhf core as appropriate for the target in question.

JollyRoger

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:51 pm

If anyone wishes to try out Bodhi (or should I say, more correctly, the Enlightenment desktop for Raspbian!) then I'd like to give a few pointers to how to set it up to look the best on a Raspberry Pi that's plugged into a TV (as mine is). Because the default appearance in this situation can be be greatly improved (in my opinion).

First of all you need an appropriate theme , and I recommend the Crema theme. To get this, run Synaptic (from your Enlightenment desktop) and search for bodhi-theme. Then choose Crema from the list. After Synaptic has finished installing it, open the main menu (left-click anywhere on the desktop) and choose Settings > Theme and pick Crema from the list.

Then you need to change the fonts that appear in title bars, buttons, etc, etc, and to do this you need to open the main menu and choose Applications > Preferences > Elementary Configuration > Fonts. Choose any font class (e.g. button), then the font (the font I recommend is Ubuntu), then the size (scroll down to 11 or 12 pixels) then choose bold, then Set to All, then Apply, and see how the result looks. If it doesn't suit, do a bit more tweaking.

Those are my preferences for my particular setup. But there's loads of configuration options in this desktop, and you can happily play for hours finding the ones that suit you.

For more help, go to the forum on the Bodhi site, and the Support section. They are very helpful there, and will respond promptly.

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Enlightenment version 16 or 17 ? http://www.enlightenment.org

JollyRoger

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Version 17.

JollyRoger

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:15 am

For more on the version number see: http://www.bodhilinux.com/e17guide/e17g ... intro.html

It's E17 that's on the Pi, identical to the version you would download to use on a laptop/PC.

Cloudcentric

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:39 am

I have downloaded and created a SDCard and run on my Pi, I must admit underwhelmed, even after updating packages.

I prefer Raspbian and as I use the LXDE desktop in both AlarmPi and Lubuntu find it suits my needs.

If Bodhi created a new version based of the current Raspbian, I am sure I would of been happier to consider using regularly.

Heater

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 pm

I seem to be getting more confused as we move along.

I don't see why Bodhi isn't just a package or packages that can be installed on a regular Raspian after all it's just a program(s) and configs like any other window manager and associated gadgets/utilities.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”