gwlester

raspbian-stable-main package repository very dated

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:03 pm

A lot of the packages in the raspbian-stable-main package repository are very dated. For example, the fossil SCM package is back at 1.1, the current version is 2.3 (the 2.x series is over a year old). Another example is Tcl, the repository has 8.6.6 which is from the summer of 2016, the current version is 2.6.8 (from 12/2017, but 2.6.7 was released in 08/2017).

Any idea how we can get more up to date packages into the raspbian-stable-main package repository?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: raspbian-stable-main package repository very dated

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Raspbian stable is exactly that - stable. It follows the LTS Debian releases, currently Stretch, which can be some way behind the latest versions of packages, but very well tested, and stable.

If you want more recent packages, you need to download them and build yourself. Which is usually not too difficult a job.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

n67

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm

The short answer is: You can't. This is the way Debian is.

The longer answer is: The only way to get newer/better stuff is to compile it yourself.

BTW, are you sure about your version numbers for Tcl? It looks like you switched between 8.something.something to 2.something.something - with the 2.x.x being newer/later.

I though only MS did that sort of thing... (Windows 10 being later than Windows 98)
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

sparkie777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't understand why people often complain about debian being outdated. The opposite is true.

Ever heard about 'testing', 'unstable' or even 'experimental' debian repositories?

DebianTesting - Debian Wiki
DebianUnstable - Debian Wiki
DebianExperimental - Debian Wiki

For those who want bleeding edge packages simply use:

/etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
those requiring even daily snap shots (and feeling incapable compiling their own stuff) add the 'experimental' repositories.

Of course in that case you must get your kernel via 'rpi-update' to your machine. Since debian does not (yet) provide a specific raspberry-kernel in their own repositories.

Nothing comes from nothing.
Last edited by sparkie777 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm

If you don't like DebIan's exceedingly conservative view of packages (not in testing or Sid) then your best choice is to switch to Arch or Ubuntu or Mint.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

klricks

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm

The Debian release cycle is about every 2 years. https://www.debian.org/releases/
There are more than 55,000 packages in the repository. There are about 1800 packages installed on the RPi. The RPF only touches a hand-full of those which are RPi specific. Everything else is pulled from Debian as is with no modifications.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

rpdom

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:19 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 pm
Of course in that case you must get your kernel via 'rpi-update' to your machine. Since debian does not (yet) provide a specific raspberry-kernel in their own repositories.
The simple answer to that is to leave the raspberrypi.org stretch repositories in your sources.list.d directory. You can even leave the raspbian repos in there and priority will be given to the newer Debian versions of anything non-raspberry pi specific.

sparkie777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:19 pm
The simple answer to that is to leave the raspberrypi.org stretch repositories in your sources.list.d directory.
wow, even better. Debian is simply configurable to any degree of up-to-dateness. Obviously some people don't know that but complain instead:-) There is nothing more to say.

jonesypeter

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Related to to above comments is it OK just to add the Debian repository to the end of the current sources.list file rather than create a sources.list.d directory.

Also when I add the debian repository I get a message when I try and update that the repository is un-signed. I can proceed by pressing 'y', but is there a way to approve it permanently?

Finally, by keeping the raspian repositories in my sources.list will this guarantee that I still get the Raspberry Pi specific kernels etc?

Thanks

Return to “Raspbian”