DumpOnIt

OpenArena on Raspbian?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:41 am

Hey all!

I was wondering about the status of OpenArena on Raspbian. I searched the forums and found some old builds, but they don't work on Raspbian. I tried installing OpenArena using apt-get , but it runs very slow on X, and running without X gives an error saying that it can't set the given mode (3) (640x480) and then "GLimp_Init() -- could not load OpenGL subsystem" regardless of any mode I set it to. The last post containing "OpenArena" was by a user with this same problem back in August :P

Has anyone been able to get OpenArena working on the new Raspbian? Any tips would be helpful!

Thanks!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: OpenArena on Raspbian?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:13 am

Unfortunately as of right now there is no way for a "generic" build of a 3D application to use the Pi's 3D acceleration. So a special build built against the videocore opengl es implementation is needed to get usable performance.

You will probablly need to look at how quake 3 was adapted for the Pi and use that information to produce an openarena build.

twolife

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 am

I got it working. But it's slow, you will have to tweak q3config.cfg to disabled a lot of stuff

you need the ioquake3 package from http://twolife.be/raspbian/pool/main/ioquake3/
and the openarena one from http://twolife.be/raspbian/pool/main/openarena/

use "dpkg -i" to install them & "apt-get -f install" to download and install the missing dependencies (maps and other data)

kalehrl

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I read that openarena is available on the Pi Store.
Is it possible to just download binaries from somewhere without using this Pi Store lark and having to register with indiecity?

Max

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 am

kalehrl wrote:I read that openarena is available on the Pi Store.
Is it possible to just download binaries from somewhere without using this Pi Store lark and having to register with indiecity?
Can use my Debian package.

Code: Select all

wget http://www.berryterminal.com/dl/ioquake3_99.1.36-rpi01_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i ./ioquake3_99.1.36-rpi01_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get install openarena
sudo apt-get clean
Make sure you have sufficient disk space, you need about 700 MB during installation.
Debian by defaults keeps a copy of all the package files it downloads, with "apt-get clean" it deletes those to free up some space.

To play (enter in a text console, not under X):

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/games/openarena

kalehrl

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 am

Thank you for your reply Max.
I already have ioquake3 installed which I cross-compiled myself on a virtual machine.
Before I read your post, I downloaded openarena-0.8.8.zip from sourceforge 425MB is size!
I see in the archive missionpack and baseoa folders.
Can I just copy these folders somewhere without downloading and installing openarena?

Max

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm

kalehrl wrote:I already have ioquake3 installed which I cross-compiled myself on a virtual machine.
Before I read your post, I downloaded openarena-0.8.8.zip from sourceforge 425MB is size!
I see in the archive missionpack and baseoa folders.
Can I just copy these folders somewhere without downloading and installing openarena?
Recommend you use the Debian versions for both instead.
Uses native code instead of bytecode for the game logic, and might run mulitiplayer games better in cases where the server runs a different version of Openarena.

kalehrl

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I managed to get openarena working by creating some folders in /usr/lib and putting symlink in them pointing to the location of extracted openarena pak files.
I got openarena binary from here:
http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/po ... openarena/
I notice that it is much slower than quake3.
It is hardly playable even with High overclock settings.

Takenover83

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I know I am bumping a old thread. Anyone know why OpenArena is so much more slower that Q3A? I would say atleast ~70% slower. Even tweaking the config does not help much. My tweaked Q3A install hardly ever drop's below 40fps. Where as OpenArena sometimes manages to dip down in the single digit's! It's nite and day when compared to each other, even though they are pretty much the same game.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”