bax

Raspbian as OS for old tablet.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 pm

I have a couple of old Android tablets, running an old and slow version of Android, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to use Raspbian as a replacement OS for these?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

B.Goode

Re: Raspbian as OS for old tablet.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:15 pm

If you place no value on the old tablets and don't have any content you need to keep, I think you should try it and let us know how you get on.

mikerr

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Yes you can run full linux on android devices in various ways:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Fe ... e-to-Linux

Install debian, on which raspbian is based.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

gkaiseril

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 pm

If your tablet uses a compatible ARM chip set it could rune Raspbarian, if not then there could be some variation of Linux/Debian that is compatible, compiled to machine code for your tablet. If not then you may need to cross compile the source code so it uses the correct machine code for your tablets chipset.

You should search for support groups for your tablet and see if the users posting their know of a Linux variation that could be rooted to your tablet.

Note that compute devices use very specific chip sets and these chips only execute machine code or binary files using very specific coding to control the processing by the chips. The higher level languages like C have a standard set of commands or statements. These statements are processed by a complier that convert the human readable statements to an intermediate format called object code or library. These object code and libraries files are further processed through a linkage editor to combine the object code and libraries to create the machine specific files for a given set of computer chips. This is why most Windows computers use Intel, AMD or other computer chips that comply to the Intel x86 type chips and Macs use a some variation of Power PC. It also explains why the mobile device OSs for Windows or iOS are different from the desktop or laptop computers.

jahboater

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 pm
Macs use a some variation of Power PC. It also explains why the mobile device OSs for Windows or iOS are different from the desktop or laptop computers.
I believe Mac's use x86 chips now.

mlepage

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:30 pm

It has been years since Mac was PowerPC, and before that it was Motorola 68030 (later used in Palm Pilot).

HawaiianPi

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

mlepage wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:30 pm
It has been years since Mac was PowerPC, and before that it was Motorola 68030 (later used in Palm Pilot).
Years? More than a decade as I recall. Unless my memory fails me, Apple switched to Intel x86 architecture back in 2006.

And to answer the OP's question, no, Raspbian, at least the Pi version, could not be used on most (if not all) tablets directly, but as others have stated there are ways to install other variations of Linux. Although technically Android itself is a variation of Linux, and there are things you can install on Android to restore much of the pure Linux functionality that was removed by Google.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:05 pm

bax wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 pm
I have a couple of old Android tablets, running an old and slow version of Android, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to use Raspbian as a replacement OS for these?

Cheers.

There has never been a Tablet released which uses the same SoCs as the Raspberry Pi, therefore the Raspberry Pi Foundations Raspbian OS is not compatable.

Also how do propose to wipe the Android Operating System and replace with a Debian based Operating System.

OFF TOPIC

I have a Android 4.4 SmartPhone which when Google App Software is running is "usable". I therefore reset to Factory Defaults and did not undertake a Google sign-in / update, instead I side loaded Amazon App Store and use Opera Web Browser and a few other Apps which are generally older versions then in Google Play Store, so I have so far gained 6 months extra use from my 3+ old phone.

Though if you are running Android prior to 4.0.4 the Tablets are likely not worth messing with.
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Return to “Raspbian”